Business & Finance Splitting Rent

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm looking for a housemate for the second room in my place, but I'm not sure how much to charge him. I have the nominal 'main' bedroom (it's slightly larger, but there's no ensuite) plus the off-street parking.

The place is fully furnished with my stuff (including the spare room). I was thinking a 60/40 split. Is that reasonable/generous/harsh?

If it's relevant, street parking around my place isn't very difficult. It's unrestricted, generally pretty available and the road is well-lit at night.

I'm looking for a housemate for the second room in my place, but I'm not sure how much to charge him. I have the nominal 'main' bedroom (it's slightly larger, but there's no ensuite) plus the off-street parking.

The place is fully furnished with my stuff (including the spare room). I was thinking a 60/40 split. Is that reasonable/generous/harsh?

If it's relevant, street parking around my place isn't very difficult. It's unrestricted, generally pretty available and the road is well-lit at night.

50/50 always no matter what you're sharing or splitting. A decent bloke would do it.

50/50 always no matter what you're sharing or splitting. A decent bloke would do it.

You sound like the hosuemate from heaven. 50% if you have the kids room/no parking? :eek:

Yeah Caesar, 60-40 sounds fair, even a little closer to 50-50 would probably be ok seeing how you've got the fridge/freezer/other stuff.

If you don't have a friend in mind and you're in no hurry to get it filled I'd probably try and get a fish to rent it from you and get something like ~60/40 your way.

If you can't get anyone at that price, lower the split until you find someone you're happy with. I don't think him paying >50% is that outrageous considering the place is furnished (with your stuff) and your room doesn't have any real benefits other than a bit more floor space and the parking spot which will have different weights with different prospective tenants and depend on the location of your place.

Definitely 50/50. I live in a house with 2 others. I have the master bedroom with ensuite and we all split equally. One bloke has two rooms that are joined and the other came after we were already settled. As far as I'm aware everyone is happy.

Pretty much everything in the house is mine bar washer/dryer/bbq, I pay the bills and rent (they then pay me), I organise everything with real estate/phone company/internet etc

Yeah 50/50 for sure. That is all your stuff in the house, plus i'd imagine you have paid the bond? Which you will not be requiring i'd imagine?

My partner had a place same situation and rented it out for 50/50. Finally got someone in the end after a couple of months.

55/45. You get the bigger room so you pay a bit more.

Even though he's letting this potential housemate use all his stuff?

I don't see how he should have to pay a bit more because he has a bigger room ... unless he chooses too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I once shared a unit with a hot flatmate. I had the lease agreement. Sometimes she paid her share out of the furry purse.

LOL I think 50/50 is the best way...there should not be any problems with money that way..maybe make him do the dishes more often than you.

I used to like having a roommate because I thought it saved money. I found that it sucked and I hated living with them even if I liked them personally. The money was nothing. Then again, maybe I'm just that way. I like having friends over for some beer and girlfriends over for what they do, but whatever, when the doing is done they have to leave. Again, just me.

I always charged 50-50 to include the utilities so if you're going 60-40, I'll move in. ;)

Yeah come to think of it, I pay all the utilities plus the wired broadband. Plus around 70% of the time I'm not there because I'm either travelling with work, housesitting for my parents or at my girlfriemd's place.

Sounds like I might be shortchanging myself.

The last house I shared rent was split something like 40/35/30 and all bills were split equally between 3.

I looked at a few 2 bed places when I was househunting and for most of them if you split everything 50/50 one person would fare significantly better than the other. If I rented my spare room out I'd charge roughly 50% of what the place would rent for (maybe a bit less for cash) as both rooms are near identical in size.

I reckon 60/40 is fair enough if you get the better room and off street parking, but not if you are paying all the bills. If you are paying all the bills then 50/50 is probably closer to the mark.

Even though he's letting this potential housemate use all his stuff?

I don't see how he should have to pay a bit more because he has a bigger room ... unless he chooses too.

If he's not prepared to take the smaller room himself for a 50/50 split then it has to be a 60/40

60/40 on the broadband etc too.

If you're supplying all the furniture etc the new roomie should pay a bit more than 50/50 unless their relos own pubs or can score free travel or is a gourmet chef who loves to do housework :)