Sponsor Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw some BigFooty flog moderator live tweeting from the Vic members forum last night.

Sounds like Swanny is confident we will have a new sponsor lined up as early as next week.
Handsome fellow though.

Sep 24, 2009
Right here
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Australian International Sides
I don't remember ever seeing any Camperdown dairy products sold anywhere.

Camperdown Dairy was one of my clients ... Victorian Farmers Direct and Woolworths were stockists of their (milk, cheese butter yoghurt and infant formula) products.. The downfall was when Bellamy's acquired the Camperdown Powder canning facility (Infant Formula) in Braeside in mid-2017 with that, it secured Chinese certification for its organic milk formula product, along with accreditation as a registered company in China.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Maybe we should lobby Al Jazeera for some sponsorship pennies. Who would have thunk it, FIFA are corrupt, Doh!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...p/news-story/0a61d49d1e4f2aa560ede554f01139af

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, Qatar’s Emir who also owns and controls the Qatari-run state broadcasting agency Al Jazeera, is believed to have signed a television contract that involved the initial $400 million. The contract reportedly included a “success fee” of $100m, provided the country emerged victorious from the 2010 World Cup ballot.

HowYouDoin

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Real Madrid
Honestly, Swann should be held at blame here. It's one thing that he devalued the Brisbane brand by associating ourselves with a sponsor like that, but to enter into an agreement with a start up company predicated on an unsuccessful, and otherwise, shady business premise only says volumes about his inability to make effective decisions.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Honestly, Swann should be held at blame here. It's one thing that he devalued the Brisbane brand by associating ourselves with a sponsor like that, but to enter into an agreement with a start up company predicated on an unsuccessful, and otherwise, shady business premise only says volumes about his inability to make effective decisions.
I get where your coming from, however sponsors can be extremely difficult to find. Imo your being a bit harsh on Swann. I don't feel the Lions brand has been devalued at all. Our brand is exiting football & I believe that is still intact.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I get where your coming from, however sponsors can be extremely difficult to find. Imo your being a bit harsh on Swann. I don't feel the Lions brand has been devalued at all. Our brand is exiting football & I believe that is still intact.
We were very far down the line with a major brand which fell over late, they were our main priority before we did the due diligence with SOOW.

It's tough for a team that hasn't played finals in a long time and without FTA exposure to secure partners in this market. Our commercial team work extremely hard to attract and retain sponsors, if it wasn't for a parent company decision it's fair to say Vero would have remained on this year. They were very complimentary of us when we parted ways.

It hasn't worked out with SOOW, but we are confident we should be able to replace them quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
1552300938164.png

Sep 24, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If they have gone bankrupt or whatever then how would we get any money when they don't have any money to run their business...

The answer to this I learnt in Business Law class. If the Brisbane Lions are successful, and SOOW doesn't have the funds for compensation, the money will come from some compensation fund somewhere, can't remember where. But the compensation will be paid to the plaintiff if they are successful even if the defendant has insufficient funds.

EDIT: I just remembered, for example it's a car accident and the party at fault must pay $x compensation but has nowhere near enough, then the TAC will pay the plaintiff from their compensation fund.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The answer to this I learnt in Business Law class. If the Brisbane Lions are successful, and SOOW doesn't have the funds for compensation, the money will come from some compensation fund somewhere, can't remember where. But the compensation will be paid to the plaintiff if they are successful even if the defendant has insufficient funds.

EDIT: I just remembered, for example it's a car accident and the party at fault must pay $x compensation but has nowhere near enough, then the TAC will pay the plaintiff from their compensation fund.

I'm not a practicing lawyer (have the degree but have pursued a different career) but I'm certain this isn't true for commercial litigation - if you win a case then the court may make a costs order for payment of legal fees against the other party in addition to the damages (you may not get all of your costs covered though). However if the other party is insolvent you still have to pay your lawyers and there is no compo fund that will do it for you.

Compensation funds have been set up by legislation in some jurisdictions for some motor vehicle accident issues but that is specific to car accidents.

If SOOW is insolvent/on the verge of bankruptcy then claims against the company are pretty pointless. Not knowing the circumstances or grounds for other possible actions I don't know whether us commencing an action is necessarily a good/bad idea. We may only be at the stage of engaging lawyers to send letters of demand to SOOW rather than commencing litigation just yet.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers

What compensation fund covers tech start ups?

In QLD we have the Nominal Defendant for motor vehicle claims when you can’t sue another party or their insurer.

However this appears vastly different.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I'm not a practicing lawyer (have the degree but have pursued a different career) but I'm certain this isn't true for commercial litigation - if you win a case then the court may make a costs order for payment of legal fees against the other party in addition to the damages (you may not get all of your costs covered though). However if the other party is insolvent you still have to pay your lawyers and there is no compo fund that will do it for you.

Compensation funds have been set up by legislation in some jurisdictions for some motor vehicle accident issues but that is specific to car accidents.

If SOOW is insolvent/on the verge of bankruptcy then claims against the company are pretty pointless. Not knowing the circumstances or grounds for other possible actions I don't know whether us commencing an action is necessarily a good/bad idea. We may only be at the stage of engaging lawyers to send letters of demand to SOOW rather than commencing litigation just yet.
Could the Lions sue the founders of soow. From earlier discussions here, they’re pretty well off.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Could the Lions sue the founders of soow. From earlier discussions here, they’re pretty well off.

Hard to know without having all the facts.

Generally founders/owners/directors aren't responsible for the debts of an insolvent company as the company is a separate legal entity - i.e. the debts are the companies'. There can be individual sanctions handed out by the corporate regulator ASIC to penalise company directors for misconduct, but that isn't a way to get them to pay the debts. There are some very, very limited circumstances under corporations law where company directors can become liable for debts but its hard to know whether any apply.

I'm sure we have engaged lawyers who are far, far more experienced and better than I am (which isn't hard, I'm trying to remember my corporations law course from 2012!) and they will have advised the Club on the basis for any potential action.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Depends how strong their litigation shield is. Hopefully not strong enough to insulate them individually from the company.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Depends how strong their litigation shield is. Hopefully not strong enough to insulate them individually from the company.

You never know with startups but assuming it is a limited liability company (which almost all are) it would limit potential actions significantly. The entire point of a limited liability company is to shield the shareholders/owners (who in this case are likely the founders) from personal responsibility for company debts.

That's a very specific case, there's a lot of protections for people who are injured in motor accidents. That is just for motor accidents, though, it's not a general case that A Fund Exists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back