Sponsor Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like we’ve got a wealth of people here who’d be able to help the club attract sponsors. Quite obviously some of us underestimate the ease with which you can entice businesses to hand over millions of dollars.

You seem to have an utterly concrete perception of the situation that no discussion or alternate perspective, or statement from the club will change. Which makes me wonder why you are bothering discussing it. Is it just for the satisfaction of calling everyone else easily placated sheep?

Correct. I think it’s a terribly weak decision. I’m not discussing it, I’m condemning it.
I don’t recall ever saying easily placated? It might be hard to placate you for all I know. I said that the statement served to placate. In the face of mixed reaction, they’re hardly going to come out and say anything differently.

Correct. I think it’s a terribly weak decision. I’m not discussing it, I’m condemning it.
I don’t recall ever saying easily placated? It might be hard to placate you for all I know. I said that the statement served to placate. In the face of mixed reaction, they’re hardly going to come out and say anything differently.

I mean, I am one of the people who expressed the view that it is disappointing we had to resort to a gambling sponsor. I can easily understand that people are even angered by it. What I find irritating though is that there is a very small minority of the critics who are utterly binary about it, by suggesting that there is absolutely no nuance or complexity to the situation.

I can totally respect someone saying it’s not acceptable under any circumstance. But magnifying that view by implying that a club already in our precarious financial position can just absorb an extra 1m dollar revenue hole without meaningful consequences simply isn’t arguing in good faith. It speaks more of an entirely emotional response that precludes any benefit of the doubt to the club whatsoever.

As is smoking and alcohol. People make their choices.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Addiction is viewed as a medical condition, granted there is a choice element early in the peace.

I sometimes find it hard to understand people who make obviously bad life choices but I have been witness to it with a close family member. We don't know peoples back story and what has led them to make such bad choices but there you go it happens.

#empathy

Addiction is viewed as a medical condition, granted there is a choice element early in the peace.

I sometimes find it hard to understand people who make obviously bad life choices but I have been witness to it with a close family member. We don't know peoples back story and what has led them to make such bad choices but there you go it happens.

#empathy

Freo call it “clinical gambling”.

I'll bet you London to a brick that the Lions have reacted to getting "shouted down" on here which led to the decision to nobble Neds?;)

I’m still getting the vibe that Neds have ditched us. Feels like we would have said something by now if it was our call.

Neds have already got some free publicity from us, they might have done the dodgy on us now.

If you lie with dogs...

I mean, I am one of the people who expressed the view that it is disappointing we had to resort to a gambling sponsor. I can easily understand that people are even angered by it. What I find irritating though is that there is a very small minority of the critics who are utterly binary about it, by suggesting that there is absolutely no nuance or complexity to the situation.

I can totally respect someone saying it’s not acceptable under any circumstance. But magnifying that view by implying that a club already in our precarious financial position can just absorb an extra 1m dollar revenue hole without meaningful consequences simply isn’t arguing in good faith. It speaks more of an entirely emotional response that precludes any benefit of the doubt to the club whatsoever.

The club can’t cover that hole. I accept that. I don’t accept this was the only option - it should never have even been an option. Again, I’m not looking to argue or debate the issue - I wanted to condemn it, which I’ve done more than enough of. So I’ll leave it at that and hope it’s a shortlived exercise.

I’m still getting the vibe that Neds have ditched us. Feels like we would have said something by now if it was our call.

Neds have already got some free publicity from us, they might have done the dodgy on us now.

If you lie with dogs...

Nah, I'm kinda the opposite way. Neds would be expecting a bit of blowback from the gambling naysayers anyway, those up in arms about the sponsorship were never becoming their customers anyway. It's the old I don't care what you say about me, just make sure you spell my name right from their perspective. You would have thought paperwork would all be signed prior to the announcement, so maybe there was a cooling off period of sorts in the agreement, and the club (in conjunction with the our real sponsors i.e. the AFL) have decided quietly to go a different path.

Nah, I'm kinda the opposite way. Neds would be expecting a bit of blowback from the gambling naysayers anyway, those up in arms about the sponsorship were never becoming their customers anyway. It's the old I don't care what you say about me, just make sure you spell my name right from their perspective. You would have thought paperwork would all be signed prior to the announcement, so maybe there was a cooling off period of sorts in the agreement, and the club (in conjunction with the our real sponsors i.e. the AFL) have decided quietly to go a different path.

Fair points. I imagine we will have answers tomorrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions weren’t proud of Neds in the announcement, so wouldn’t be shocked if that was a violation of terms.

The Lions weren’t proud of Neds in the announcement, so wouldn’t be shocked if that was a violation of terms.

How weren't we proud?

Swann was quoted saying;

“We are so excited to welcome Neds to the Club,”

“To be able to find a new co-major partner in less than two weeks speaks to the positivity around the Club at the moment. All of our key off-field markers are up year on year, and we are so pleased that Neds wanted to be a part of that journey in 2019."

“We can’t wait to see Neds on the jumper Saturday as we open the season against the reigning premiers at the Gabba.”

If all of the self righteous crew who have been crowing on about the clubs social responsibility about gambling I would now suggest you turn your attention to the alcohol sold at games and consumed in front of innocent children and while you are at it remove all fried food and chocolate bars as obesity is actually the biggest health crisis in Australia and is causing massive health issues ranging from cancer and heart attacks and stroke. Did I mention the sales and advertising of soft drinks and the tooth decay epidemic hitting our children.

If all of the self righteous crew who have been crowing on about the clubs social responsibility about gambling I would now suggest you turn your attention to the alcohol sold at games and consumed in front of innocent children and while you are at it remove all fried food and chocolate bars as obesity is actually the biggest health crisis in Australia and is causing massive health issues ranging from cancer and heart attacks and stroke. Did I mention the sales and advertising of soft drinks and the tooth decay epidemic hitting our children.
I’d be more than happy if they didn’t sell alcohol or fried food at the footy or served alcohol in the corporate suites.

Always surprises me seeing Mum and Dad’s At games with a kid(s) under 10 and they’re drinking alcohol.:rolleyes:

I’d be more than happy if they didn’t sell alcohol or fried food at the footy or served alcohol in the corporate suites.

Always surprises me seeing Mum and Dad’s At games with a kid(s) under 10 and they’re drinking alcohol.:rolleyes:

That's horrible. Very irresponsible letting your kids drink beer at a game. Don't get me wrong, I used to get the 'froth' off mum & dads beers when I was a kid & I turned out alright. But that was at home. Never in public.

That's horrible. Very irresponsible letting your kids drink beer at a game. Don't get me wrong, I used to get the 'froth' off mum & dads beers when I was a kid & I turned out alright. But that was at home. Never in public.

You gave the game away at age 18 Bangy, when you walked into the pub and ordered a half pint of froth - your parents suddenly realised what had been happening to their beers for the past few years :p

I think it would take some of the more influential club members phoning the club or Greg Swann directly, having a say, for the club to listen to it's members in regards to sponsors, or anything else for that matter.

I have feeling Dylan was referring to the parents drinking a bunch in front of the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back