Sponsor Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I have feeling Dylan was referring to the parents drinking a bunch in front of the kids.
Correct.

I'm not a teetotaller by any means, rather a very casual drinker at best, but I do question why so many need to drink at the footy, particularly parents with kids or in a lot of instances a Dad taking his kid(s) to a game without the wife / partner and they feel the need to drink alcohol.

Even in corporate boxes which I attend frequently, I would be lucky to have one or two, yet most are like 18 year olds when there are free drinks on offer.

Just asked someone at Neds and he said it's strange. Last he heard was that everything was fine.

I think the bundy angle is interesting - it's a big thing to open up about tough periods in your life and hats off to him for sharing his experiences. Seems like something fagan would embrace and use to help ensure our young ones don't get themselves into trouble.

Announcing neds sponsorship virtually at the same time was a little weird - like maybe the club could have waited a week and let bundy's story float first. Doesn't seem fagan-ish to me.

Clearly I think fagan is the supreme caring and supporting father figure.

Also interesting that Bundys former club has pulled the pin on gambling. Coupled with bundy's story it makes me think there been a significant gambling problem in the club. And the Geelong announcement was yesterday so were Geelong informed on bundy's podcast coming out this week? Cause if that was planned to occur together the timing of our sponsorship announcement was a definite clanger.

I'm not convinced the neds sponsorship has been axed - gambling companies are thick skinned and can't imagine they give two hoots about the small number of protesters here. My thought is its pullback on neds, let bundy and Geelongs gambling stories play out, then reintroduce in a low key manner.

Any mention of the sponsorship has been removed from their facebook page and the website. Good to see the club has a moral conscience after all. It was a really bad look for the club to sign a betting agency as a sponsor during the same time Bundy revealed his gambling addiction. I also wonder if the AFL had any say in it, considering sportsbet just signed on as a major sponsor to the channel 7 telecast of the game. Either way, this is good news.

Edit. Brisbane were called out on the project for their sponsorship deal. They aligned the story with Allen Christensen. Obviously it's a bad look for the club so I'm not surprised that there was a likely termination of the contract. Swann shouldn't have agreed to it in the first place. I get that it must be difficult to find a sponsor, but he's made two incorrect decisions in a row now.

Last edited:
That's horrible. Very irresponsible letting your kids drink beer at a game. Don't get me wrong, I used to get the 'froth' off mum & dads beers when I was a kid & I turned out alright. But that was at home. Never in public.
Sometimes my five year old needs that liquid courage to get out there for Auskick. Who am I to say no.

Addiction is viewed as a medical condition, granted there is a choice element early in the peace.

I sometimes find it hard to understand people who make obviously bad life choices but I have been witness to it with a close family member. We don't know peoples back story and what has led them to make such bad choices but there you go it happens.

#empathy

Ahh the age of zero accountability for ones actions. People make choices, choices come with consequences. You own your choices you own your consequences. It doesn’t take much to know yourself and know if you have an addictive personality. If you do, which I do myself, don’t make bad choices and what could follow doesn’t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ahh the age of zero accountability for ones actions. People make choices, choices come with consequences. You own your choices you own your consequences. It doesn’t take much to know yourself and know if you have an addictive personality. If you do, which I do myself, don’t make bad choices and what could follow doesn’t.

Dude, if you know it's that simple how come you aren't out there helping all these gambling, drug, alcohol and tobacco addicts? I'm sure they'd love it know it's that straight forward.

So as far as you're concerned there are no nuances and grey areas?

I agree that the addict has to eventually want to get better of their own volition but IMO we should throw all the support and counselling at them that we can and not be too judgmental and self righteous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An interesting post from @LionsTalk on twitter who seems to have been in contact with the club about the Kevin Murray HOF jersey - has heard from the club that NEDS won't be put on any sold to the public.

No context provided on when they got this info (possibly this morning?).

I'd say there is still a chance the sponsorship has gone ahead but we've deleted all reference to it and asked Neds to take down the promotion given the media coverage. I saw that we got a serve from Tim Costello on ABC radio too as well as the mention on The Project.

That’s all well and good, but both problem gambling and alcohol consumption affects many beyond just the person with the problem, sometimes with horrendous results.

Sometimes these people refuse to admit they have a problem. Or worse, admit they have a problem and refuse to deal with it.

I’ve seen first hand the effects of both, both in my previous line of work, and more recently in my extended family.

Wonder if all these media outlets reporting on it gave all the information re club statements on making sure neds isnt part of any underage deals/promos/merch and that bundy was consulted prior to the announcement. Im guessing probably not as it looks much more sensational reporting on it when a betting sponsor is announced when a player comes out with gambling problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back