Sponsor Watch

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great, look forward to buying a pair of Classic Sportswear trainers and supporting the club.

What a joke, another D grade category sponsor to go along with iconic brands such as Neds, Coffee Club, Hyundai and Oaks. :rolleyes:
I empathise with you - some uninspiring brands we have which Swann has organised pay us good sums of money. Oh well. It’s just business. Try focusing more on the maroon, blue and gold rather than the sponsors, I guess.

Oaks Resorts are fantastic, though; I stay with them on Collins St whenever I’m back in Melbourne. Top notch, great value for money.
Are you upset that other club’s sponsors are ‘cooler’ than our sponsors because I thought at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who they are as long as we have money coming in for sponsorship. Personally perplexed by these comments.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
Are you upset that other club’s sponsors are ‘cooler’ than our sponsors because I thought at the end of the day it doesn’t matter who they are as long as we have money coming in for sponsorship. Personally perplexed by these comments.
Did you not read what I commented?

Did you not read what I commented?
I think it was your expressed empathy with Dylan12 (and therefore his extreme views on this topic) and the reference to Swann having organised those uninspiring brands which caught the attention, rather than your rider about it just being business. So far as uninspiring brands is concerned, I think it's more about the level of sponsorship that the major sponsors provide than whether their product is sexy or not. Maybe the two go hand in hand to an extent. Say, for example, Coca Cola or McDonalds went from being a mere support sponsor to a major partner, would that give us a higher profile and in turn more supporters/members/revenue? Others here with marketing expertise would be better qualified to comment. I doubt being uninspiring has worried Hyundai too much in selling the third most cars in Australia over each of the last three years. I feel for Swann. He is in probably the hardest market in Australia so far as the sponsorhip dollar for AFL is concerned. With that in mind, and seeing how hard he is working for this club, I am pretty grateful for every sponsors dollar he can attract, dare I say, even from Neds.

Last edited:
Just noticed we have XL Express on our Website next to NEDS as a Major Partner? What do we know of this deal??
Don't know anything about the deal except that it is replacing Oaks which is now our ball sponsor. This raises the question whether the change to ball sponsor represents a reduction in sponsorship dollars by Oaks. The club made the point that it is our first ball sponsor for some years.

Don't know anything about the deal except that it is replacing Oaks which is now our ball sponsor. This raises the question whether the change to ball sponsor represents a reduction in sponsorship dollars by Oaks. The club made the point that it is our first ball sponsor for some years.

Even if it is a reduction by them we've still increased our sponsorship levels. Id speculate that we upped our asking rate for co major sponsorship and they declined so went ball sponsor instead but that could be totally wrong

Either way the fact that we've got a ball sponsor and membership sponsor this season for the first time in a long time is a massive positive given we clearly haven't discounted them down just to fill gaps. Last season paying off for us already

The fact that Neds is still with us is interesting. I thought they were just going to be a stopgap until this year given how quickly they came in after that other mob went belly up.

Also interesting to note that Ladbrokes sponsors the Boncos in much the same way, and LB owns Neds. So maybe not so interesting after all, maybe it's quite intentional to cover both major footy codes in Brisbane.

I drive a Hyundai.

The NEDS thing they dont flog the **** out of online or in the media which is good.

A lot of NRL and EPL teams use wagering partners as sponsors for a lot more $$$ than the Lions are getting.

If it keeps the Lions in the black im all for it. Is everyone forgetting the Camperdown Dairy?

Maybe the club is just embarrassed about having a to-your-door gigolo service as a major sponsor?

Wait, what? I didn't realise "package forwarding" meant quite that.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer
As a dev I find XL's website utterly insipid, which therefore lowers my opinion of their overall brand.

Qld-based it seems, and as long as they're paying us it's cool. Further props to them for demoting Neds to the back of our home guernsey :sweatsmile:

Back