Sponsor Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

We're still at the flash in the pan stage where more prestigious sponsors would be low balling us. That's the commercial reality.

The last decent apparel sponsor we had was Puma back in our Premiership era, although Russell Athletic may have been around in 03. Since then it has been one no name brand after the other. Obviously many don’t really care about the benefits of a solid apparel sponsor and getting decent merchandise as a result, but the last few have been as bad as the next, BLK, Koo Ga, Majestic etc. Even still, there is nothing wrong with desiring a known apparel sponsor that will actually produce decent gear.

Puma didn't take over from Russell until 2007. Since them, it's been KooGa / BLK (same company, just rebranded) and Majestic, in that order (no etc). Hardly call either "no name". BLK had a third of all AFL clubs plus a bunch of international and club rugby teams before they ran into financial strife. And up until this year, Majestic were the official on-field uniform supplier of all 30 Major League Baseball teams.

Puma didn't take over from Russell until 2007. Since them, it's been KooGa / BLK (same company, just rebranded) and Majestic, in that order (no etc). Hardly call either "no name". BLK had a third of all AFL clubs plus a bunch of international and club rugby teams before they ran into financial strife. And up until this year, Majestic were the official on-field uniform supplier of all 30 Major League Baseball teams.

Had some Puma stuff from 1997. I’ve still got a polo and tracksuit. Stuff has barely frayed. Superbly made clothing.

Had some Puma stuff from 1997. I’ve still got a polo and tracksuit. Stuff has barely frayed. Superbly made clothing.

Yeah I've still got puma training shirts that I wear all the time. Fantastic products. Hopefully next one we can nab someone of their ilk for merchandise

Yeah I've still got puma training shirts that I wear all the time. Fantastic products. Hopefully next one we can nab someone of their ilk for merchandise

I've still got puma gear from my playing days in the '70's ..................... alas, they look like Dolls Clothing when I try to put them on now .........................:elephant:

**** RANT Alert ****

That jumper looks ****ing atrocious.

Collar looks ridiculous. The gold sleeves are far too thick. The blue yoke is back to being too low. Lion’s too large. Stitching looks cheap. Looks like it’s been washed with a cup of bleach in my old recycled Kelvinator.

Grr... And it’s ****ing freezing outside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting any new sponsor in the current climate is fantastic for the club and really who wouldn't want to sponsor Coach Fagan and his assistants:

1594172882923.png

Whilst our new training tops are the best in the club's history IMO, Classic still doesn't rate a mention in the apparel battle between the clubs although we aren't in the bottom three at least:

RICHMOND and Carlton topped the competition for sold on-field apparel last year, with the clubs combining for more than a quarter of the AFL's sales in one of football's most important off-field battlegrounds. In AFL data released to clubs, the back-to-back premiership Tigers capitalised on their success by accounting for 15.14 per cent of sales of on-field wear – including jumpers and all matchday wear from players and coaches – which placed them at No.1 in the competition, considered a likely outcome given their success and fanbase.

But despite finishing 11th last season and missing the finals, the Blues surprised to be second on football's unseen ladder, tallying 11.73 per cent of sales in a huge tick from the club's growing supporter base, which last week hit a new membership record. Both clubs are sponsored by Puma, with one of the world's leading sports brands locking in long-term deals with the Victorian powerhouses.

Together the clubs combined for a mammoth 26.87 per cent of apparel sales around the competition, with West Coast (7.97 per cent) in third position overall, Geelong fourth (7.7 per cent) and Collingwood fifth (7.69 per cent). Newest clubs Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney, with two of the smallest membership bases, were at the bottom of the list but a surprise was Hawthorn, which placed in third last position with 2.52 per cent of sales.

The Blues' decade-long commitment with Puma shapes as one of the last of its kind signed just months before COVID-19 wreaked havoc on the global economy. The effects have not spared apparel arrangements for AFL clubs, with an off-season of changeover among the competition. It particularly impacted clubs who had been tied to ISC, which last year officially withdrew its support of AFL clubs amid the pandemic. That created a domino effect amongst the League as rivals scrambled for replacements throughout last season.

Eight clubs – Fremantle, Collingwood, Sydney, St Kilda, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Gold Coast and West Coast – were still linked with ISC last year but have moved elsewhere with some deals (including the Magpies' move to Nike) already in the works. The Swans also partnered with Nike, the Dockers joined forces with Burley Sekem and St Kilda and Gold Coast added to New Balance's imprint with the AFL. Port Adelaide signed with Macron, an international sportswear brand largely associated with European soccer and the Crows are now with O'Neills, who have a base in Adelaide but come from an international background. West Coast crossed to Castore. The Giants jumped from XBlades to Puma's stable. Adidas (Hawthorn), Under Armour (Essendon), Cotton On (Geelong), ASICS (Western Bulldogs) and Canterbury (North Melbourne) are other brands tied to AFL clubs.

The Lions mustn't rate too highly given we are the only not to have been mentioned in this whole article

Whilst our new training tops are the best in the club's history IMO, Classic still doesn't rate a mention in the apparel battle between the clubs although we aren't in the bottom three at least:

The Lions mustn't rate too highly given we are the only not to have been mentioned in this whole article

We often don't feature in AFL promo videos either.

More people will buy named popular brands over smaller ones like classic. I wonder if it would have been better if the club managed to get Nike or addidas on board for a smaller percentage of revenue and used that brand to sell more merch. We also need to adopt the premier league model and change our Guernsey's every year. You will barely get any new sales when you're wearing the previous years Guernsey. Why not change colours? Why not do a different clash strip. The combination of having a small brand and keeping our jumpers the same probably isn't doing much. Despite our on field success.

More people will buy named popular brands over smaller ones like classic. I wonder if it would have been better if the club managed to get Nike or addidas on board for a smaller percentage of revenue and used that brand to sell more merch. We also need to adopt the premier league model and change our Guernsey's every year. You will barely get any new sales when you're wearing the previous years Guernsey. Why not change colours? Why not do a different clash strip. The combination of having a small brand and keeping our jumpers the same probably isn't doing much. Despite our on field success.

1613136821191.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back