Opinion Sponsorship Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard this morning the Crows are possibly looking at bank rolling the Lightening. It is very clear they have an SA Great Strategy to encompass a lot of minor and female sports. Whilst in isolation these little sports don't mean a lot, the cumulative effect of being Crows branded I think will. The perception that the Crows support women's sport, especially at the moment where it is the flavour of the month, is a good strategy and it is something we have to be a mindful of.

This worries me... before we know it the Crows will own, or be a major player in Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightening, Adelaide 36ers, Adelaide Thunderbirds, Adelaide United, Adelaide Strikers, Adelaide Adrenaline and the Adelaide Rams... cementing their place as a major playing in SA sporting landscape with a massive say on anything and everything that happens in this state in regards to sport... meanwhile we will still be pumping money into China for no new members, a wasted trip to China to play, and nothing to show for it.

A few years ago (early 2000's I think it was) we started down the road the crows are now taking by sponsoring the Thunderbirds... they eventually pulled out because we 'narrowed' their supporter base, but rather than accepting, we should have fought hard on the issue to take control of the SA sporting landscape... but instead we have allowed our major opponent in the state to take control.

This worries me... before we know it the Crows will own, or be a major player in Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightening, Adelaide 36ers, Adelaide Thunderbirds, Adelaide United, Adelaide Strikers, Adelaide Adrenaline and the Adelaide Rams... cementing their place as a major playing in SA sporting landscape with a massive say on anything and everything that happens in this state in regards to sport... meanwhile we will still be pumping money into China for no new members, a wasted trip to China to play, and nothing to show for it.

A few years ago (early 2000's I think it was) we started down the road the crows are now taking by sponsoring the Thunderbirds... they eventually pulled out because we 'narrowed' their supporter base, but rather than accepting, we should have fought hard on the issue to take control of the SA sporting landscape... but instead we have allowed our major opponent in the state to take control.
going to china isn't about increasing membership numbers...

going to china isn't about increasing membership numbers...

No... but going to China is costing a lot of money, and alienating out supporter base... while our key opposition in this state is doing the opposite in bringing fans together to support one giant SA monolith of a side.

The word was Port was in talks with Alinta Energy and they choose Aus Cricket Team over us, if true says it all really doesn't it
Makes me hate that dead sport even more.

And what are they going to buy all these teams with? Have you read their financials? Or are you one of those gullible fools who lap up their "operating profit" result they put out and the media is too dumb and just laps it up.

Last edited:
Phase 1. Buy a bunch of teams in sporting codes that rarely anyone gives a s**t about
Phase 2. ?
Phase 3. Profit.
https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fthumbnails%2Fblog_1022%2Fpt_1022_786_o.jpg%3Ft%3D1310654119

For me the balance of a board is always to combine strategy with action.

Get too lost on the strategy side of things and you end up with a whole bunch of intangible, unmeasurable morherhood statements and little actual productive action.

Get lost in action and you end up doing a whole heap of work constantly putting out fires with none of it strategically relevant or ultimately moving your business forwards.

From the outside looking in we seem to have jumped into the former.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The buying up of these minor/women's sports are not about direct profit from them, it's about branding. It's about saturation branding. It's about picking up the supporters from these minor sports, especially the young, by giving them a connection and reason to support the Crows. The market place for supporters for the Adelaide teams is predominantly SA, I'm not sure why anybody is kidding themselves otherwise.

The buying up of these minor/women's sports are not about direct profit from them, it's about branding. It's about saturation branding. It's about picking up the supporters from these minor sports, especially the young, by giving them a connection and reason to support the Crows. The market place for supporters for the Adelaide teams is predominantly SA, I'm not sure why anybody is kidding themselves otherwise.
If you can buy them for $1 and take on their relatively small debts like the Bite, it makes sense. But they aren't going to spend millions on an NBL licence or an A-League licence, because that's what it will cost them to buy from private owners.

They've already hit the ceiling for support I'm SA in terms of membership and attendances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've already hit the ceiling for support I'm SA in terms of membership and attendances.

No they haven't. Look at the Eagles at Subi. They had 20,000 people in their "Waiting in the Wings" categories. Not sure what it cost, but if it was $50 a year, that's essentially $1,000,000 in revenue for nothing. Having a waiting list, ie demand outstripping supply, means you can charge greater prices for memberships. Economics 101.

I'm not sure why the forks are turning on Koch.

Well I am, but I think this is a case of things rotting from within, not from the head. Koch has been whittled away to what he is now but the PAFC around him.

Sent from mTalk

I'm not sure why the forks are turning on Koch.

Well I am, but I think this is a case of things rotting from within, not from the head. Koch has been whittled away to what he is now but the PAFC around him.

Sent from mTalk
When things are s**t you need great leadership to get you out of it. or if things are so, so you need great leadership to get you towards #1.

Just like on the field when you get those close games and you want to get over the line. Great leaders do it time and time again.

We are in a malaise of middle class ordinariness. Koch's decision to rush and re appoint Ken is part of that malaise. So the fish is rotting from the head with fundamental poor decisions.

When things are s**t you need great leadership to get you out of it. or if things are so, so you need great leadership to get you towards #1.

Just like on the field when you get those close games and you want to get over the line. Great leaders do it time and time again.

We are in a malaise of middle class ordinariness. Koch's decision to rush and re appoint Ken is part of that malaise. So the fish is rotting from the head with fundamental poor decisions.

Things were s**t. We got out of it. Now we are spiralling back towards it. The same key figures are responsible for both.

Is Koch responsible for KT going completely off the deep end in lecturing all the fans about appropriate behaviour? The players getting sooky as an 80 point loss to GWS (when they hadn't begun to get good yet) was a disgrace? There's been a lot of cultural stuff within the club that has gone on. Koch isn't responsible for all of it and it has manifested itself all over everything to our current predicament.

Sent from mTalk

Things were s**t. We got out of it. Now we are spiralling back towards it. The same key figures are responsible for both.

Is Koch responsible for KT going completely off the deep end in lecturing all the fans about appropriate behaviour? The players getting sooky as an 80 point loss to GWS (when they hadn't begun to get good yet) was a disgrace? There's been a lot of cultural stuff within the club that has gone on. Koch isn't responsible for all of it and it has manifested itself all over everything to our current predicament.

Sent from mTalk
Then its his job to fix. If he can't, then see ya later. We have stagnated for 4 years. Its either more of the same, or a change. Which do you want?

Then its his job to fix. If he can't, then see ya later. We have stagnated for 4 years. Its either more of the same, or a change. Which do you want?

I'm not disagreeing with that. I don't think it is solely Koch though. There's no point in only getting rid of one person.

Sent from mTalk

I'm not disagreeing with that. I don't think it is solely Koch though. There's no point in only getting rid of one person.

Sent from mTalk
I think the board has to be transitioned out over 3 or 4 years. 2 or 3 gone every year. I think we need to get the right GM Commercial as I discussed in LR's thread. I think we need to appoint someone on the ground in China and have 4 full time development staff over there not this FIFO stuff. I think we gave our head coach an easy contract. If he doesnt make finals he should go - unless we have 15 broken legs type season. Stuff the payout issues, we should have had a performance clause.

The buck has to stop with a few people rather than just drifting on.

The word was Port was in talks with Alinta Energy and they choose Aus Cricket Team over us, if true says it all really doesn't it

to me it says cricket is bigger globally than footy and Australia is a bigger name than Port Adelaide

Whether people like cricket or not, Alinta Energy choosing to sponsor the Australian cricket team over ANY AFL team is an absolute no brainer, 5 days of test cricket from 10.30 am to 6.00 pm on national tv, plus prime time night games, all played in summer when power usage is at its highest, and with many consumers unhappy with their current provider and looking to change, compared to a couple of hours per week for a football match that may not even been shown on free to air tv in the other states. :rolleyes:

The difference in exposure for their sponsorship dollar would be enormous!

Whether people like cricket or not, Alinta Energy choosing to sponsor the Australian cricket team over ANY AFL team is an absolute no brainer, 5 days of test cricket from 10.30 am to 6.00 pm on national tv, plus prime time night games, all played in summer when power usage is at its highest, and with many consumers unhappy with their current provider and looking to change, compared to a couple of hours per week for a football match that may not even been shown on free to air tv in the other states. :rolleyes:

The difference in exposure for their sponsorship dollar would be enormous!

The difference in what it would cost them would also be enormous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back