Opinion Sponsorship Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide's game changing educational partnership
Port Adelaide has signed a five-year partnership with the Jincheng Holding Group, a real estate, health and education group headquartered in China’s Zhejiang Province.

Jincheng Group also owns Entel Education Group, which consists of several schools and kindergartens who educate more than six thousand students across China.

Port Adelaide’s partnership with Jincheng will see both organisations working together to deliver significant educational outcomes for Chinese students here in Australia.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...elaides-game-changing-educational-partnership

Port Adelaide has signed a five-year partnership with the Jincheng Holding Group, a real estate, health and education group headquartered in China’s Zhejiang Province ....
That ain't sponsorship.

Port Adelaide has signed a five-year partnership with the Jincheng Holding Group, a real estate, health and education group headquartered in China’s Zhejiang Province.

Jincheng Group also owns Entel Education Group, which consists of several schools and kindergartens who educate more than six thousand students across China.

Port Adelaide’s partnership with Jincheng will see both organisations working together to deliver significant educational outcomes for Chinese students here in Australia.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/ne...elaides-game-changing-educational-partnership
Didn't we announce this 1 or 2 years ago already?

Yes, I saw that. Hasn't the partnership been up for a while already? That's my question.
“When I visited Australia in August, I was deeply impressed by Port Adelaide Football Club and imagined the potential of working with them to provide a unique opportunity for our students,” Mr Wu said.

Didn't we announce this 1 or 2 years ago already?
Nope. We announced we were taking the Power Footy Program to the province of Zhejiang in this story in August this year. I posted in the China thread the following from an Advertiser story.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-350#post-57520207
The Port Adelaide Football Club has received $60,000 funding from the Australia China Council, an arm of the Federal Government’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, to extend its footy program into schools in the Sichuan province..........The club will expand the program to schools in the Zhejiang Province in the 2018-2019 Chinese school year......

We got a $60k grant from DFAT and I posted their media release here, re the Sichuan province Power Footy Program getting that $60k. Zhejiang program didn't get a grant.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-357#post-58692867

The club in August released this story, which the Advertiser based its story on.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-24/ports-power-footy-expansion
MORE students in China will learn about Australian Rules football and be exposed to Australian culture thanks to a partnership between the Port Adelaide Football Club and the Federal Government – and South Australia will be the beneficiary. The expansion is supported by the Australian Government through the Australia-China Council of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

In 2019, the program will expand to two new provinces – Zhejiang as well as Sichuan - and involve at least 30 schools. This expansion holds great commercial potential, with PAFC to announce private sector support for the program in the coming weeks. It also holds great economic potential for South Australia.

In early August, a significant Chinese company that supports the Power Footy program traveled to South Australia and met with the University of Adelaide, with discussions now underway to send 100 Power Footy graduates each year to the university, creating around 29 jobs in South Australia and attracting a $13 million-dollar boost to the state’s economy. Under the three-year agreement to expand the program in China, the Commonwealth Government, through its Australia China Council, will provide $60,000 to complement private sector support to expand Power Footy into Sichuan.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2018-08-24/ports-power-footy-expansion

At the time I wondered who this was and when they would be revealed. Maybe it is the Jincheng Holding Group or their Entel Education Group subsidiary.

I also wondered at the time if we just went to Zhejiang province because it is the province next to Shanghai ( which is its own municipal level of government equal to a province). Or because its capital is Hangzhou about 180km SW of Shanghai another 10m people city with the greater metro area holding 21m people, meant it would be easy to take the Power Footy Programs to a relatively close city, less than an hour on those fast trains. Or was it because Alibaba is based in Hangzhou. Or are we chasing another Chinese company based there??

Anway when I did a search for the article above, I found 2 posts that I made that maybe relevant to why Zhejiang province. Gina Reinhart and S. Kidman & Co have signed an agreement with a consortium lead by the Chinese New Hope Group, (who are planning to invest $1bil in Oz agriculture), who will build a new feedlot, quarantine and meat-processing facilities in the specially-approved Free Trade Zone for Australian agriculture and food exports to China on the Zhejiang province's Jintang Island near Zhoushan, which is approx 250km due south of Shanghai, and approx 200km south east of Hangzhou. For more info see my

May 2017 post, a couple of weeks after the 2017 Shanghai game and 2 stories from The Australian
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-252#post-50494140

and this post in July 2017 after an extensive Landline story on the Free Trade Zone and Rinehart's live export trade ambitions. You have to open up the quote box to get the full story.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/china-history-in-the-making.1128595/page-267#post-51121183

So taking the Power Footy Programs to the 55m people province of Zhejiang makes a lot of business sense. Will this result in any significant sponsorship that sees $$$ flows to the club in Oz?? I can't tell from the club's article. But it continues to build up business partnerships and relationships in a key part of China, where Mr Gui via S. Kidman & Co will have long term business links.

Last edited:
Ok pretty sure this confirms - In early August, a significant Chinese company that supports the Power Footy program traveled to South Australia and met with the University of Adelaide.... was indeed Jincheng Group

Jincheng Group Chairman Mr Wu Wanglou said he was equally delighted to partner Port Adelaide. “When I visited Australia in August, I was deeply impressed by Port Adelaide Football Club and imagined the potential of working with them to provide a unique opportunity for our students,” Mr Wu said.

Good news. It is not something that impacts our football department, our membership numbers, and our budget in the short term. Still, we are spreading our roots in China. Baby steps, but forward. That's good.

Good news. It is not something that impacts our football department, our membership numbers, and our budget in the short term. Still, we are spreading our roots in China. Baby steps, but forward. That's good.
Possibly, but there's a thread for that. If something isn't impacting our football department, our membership numbers, and especially our budget it doesn't belong here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re underselling the magnitude of having another Chinese business signing a 5 year deal the way that Mr Gui has. The more partnerships in China that we can establish, the better the optics look for other companies who want to associate with our project. It expresses confidence in the club to negotiate great outcomes for potential businesses.

No sponsor is going to pony up the dough without having faith in the ability for PAFC to deliver for them. Things like this venture build up that faith. And you always have to start somewhere.

Get Darren Cahill to coach the next Chinese tennis protege. Tennis is the next big thing in China. Get that player associated with Port Adelaide and it will translate to mega bucks. There's a Chinese company with zero western presence or appeal stumping up a multi million sponsorship deal with the Australian Open specifically for the Chinese market. A Darren Cahill coached Chinese star would open up huge opportunities. Obviously Darren has to be keen to do it ofcourse.

Get Darren Cahill to coach the next Chinese tennis protege. Tennis is the next big thing in China. Get that player associated with Port Adelaide and it will translate to mega bucks. There's a Chinese company with zero western presence or appeal stumping up a multi million sponsorship deal with the Australian Open specifically for the Chinese market. A Darren Cahill coached Chinese star would open up huge opportunities. Obviously Darren has to be keen to do it ofcourse.
Been saying this sort of thing for awhile to use the Tennis Australia link, especially their offices in Shanghai, but Cahill and Roger Rasheed should be used in a wider sports diplomacy sense and link in tennis to Port and other sports in Oz and now with the education stuff we are doing, so kids get sent to Oz on sports+education scholarship.

Looks like the signing was in China. Lockhart Road

Edit should have read Andrew Hunter's twitter account before I posted
Andrew Hunter‏ @AndrewHunter__
A man practising the Buddhist ritual of fang sheng (放生), releasing captive animals back into the wild, on the West Lake in Hangzhou yesterday.

DuvNc_DUUAIeoHq.jpg

Last edited:
Get someone to build student accommodation near the club that includes dinner and we can offer what we do best.
Organise buses to and from uni.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back