Sponsorship News - Optus signs on for 4

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Toyota extended to 2023 which is great news for the stability of our sponsorship.

However Dittmar said this morning that they won’t be appearing on the back of our guernseys, just the front. This frees up the back for another sponsor.

I didn’t hear Roos response, did anyone?

I wonder if this is due to Toyota pulling back on their sponsorship or an opportunity for us to earn more by bringing in a second.

Either way if true, how funny would it be if we secure a decent second sponsor before Port. You would think we wouldn’t have done this if we didn’t have one lined up already though.

Please let it be Optus.

Last edited:

ChilliP

All Australian
Nov 8, 2018
Goolwa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Toyota extended to 2023 which is great news for the stability of our sponsorship.

However Dittmar said this morning that they won’t be appearing on the back of our guernseys, just the front. This frees up the back for another sponsor.

I didn’t hear Roos response, did anyone?

I wonder if this is due to Toyota pulling back on their sponsorship or an opportunity for us to earn more by bringing in a second.

Either way if true, how funny would it be if we secure a decent second sponsor before Port. You would think we wouldn’t have done this if we didn’t have one lined up already though.

Please let it be Redbull.

Most likely is it's a reduced sponsorship. Best case scenario is we increased the price of our sponsorship tiers and they didn't want to increase what they pay.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Hopefully it is more a case of our sponsorship value increasing and Toyota not decreasing their interest.

Given Toyota's booming sales performance since Ford and Holden became virtual non entities in Australia (apart from the Ford Ranger) you would think Toyota have kept their level of financial interest up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting, I picked up the wording yesterday but assumed it was because the Toyota logo is only literally on the front anyway.

I hate it from a nice logo on a guernsey point of view and fear the bright bumper sticker logo changing every few years now but from a financial point of view, it makes sense, West Coast, Hawks, Collingwood all have 2 and none of these teams would struggle to get a single sponsor if they wanted one.

We've also got two on our Womens jumper.

Here is why I think it works, while we still only have 2 slots on the jumper we can create more of the other things that come with being a major sponsor, the other advertising opportunities, the corporate benefits, player appearances. We create more assets to package together at the premium tier, because we will be duplicating what we are already doing for Toyota, it's of no value to them to pay more.

A sign the high membership number is helping? There is no way our sponsorship value has dropped, crowds are huge, support hasn't been bigger in years. Surely the price has jumped, or we've found that opportunity to create more.

The club showed when we jumped from longterm partner 5AA to Triple M because we didn't agree with the value of our sponsorship being equal to that of Ports that if there's more out there they will go after it.

Still 9 months left on the original contract, if this is happening, be interesting to see if it's this year or next.

Last edited:

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
huh, i always thought it was part of the telstra deal with the AFL that Optus and other telecommunication competitors were shut out from sponsoring AFL Clubs.

Thought this was the reason why the Vodafone, AAPT and Optus sponsorships you used to see around the place had faded out.

I suppose the Hawks have had IInet for ages though.

Jul 17, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
huh, i always thought it was part of the telstra deal with the AFL that Optus and other telecommunication competitors were shut out from sponsoring AFL Clubs.

Thought this was the reason why the Vodafone, AAPT and Optus sponsorships you used to see around the place had faded out.

Vodafone pulled out of AFL to focus on motorsport and Optus were previously sponsoring Carlton. I’d drop that sponsorship too.

Next Gen Rookie

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2017
Hiding in Bacon8's roofspace
AFL Club
Adelaide

They've got Optus Stadium, and they are on the Pies AFLW too.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It is laughable how easy Fages and our admin get stuff like this done compared to KT.

No jaunts to China. No wining and dining of Billionaires. No media leaks promising something is happening. No excuses about elections for a deal falling over.

Just a succinct major sponsorship transition to a brand everyone knows that wont go broke in a month or two.

Vodafone pulled out of AFL to focus on motorsport and Optus were previously sponsoring Carlton. I’d drop that sponsorship too.
just another thing we've poached from the blues

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is laughable how easy Fages and our admin get stuff like this done compared to KT.

No jaunts to China. No wining and dining of Billionaires. No media leaks promising something is happening. No excuses about elections for a deal falling over.

Just a succinct major sponsorship transition to a brand everyone knows that wont go broke in a month or two.

No long-winded 8 part posts from supporters looking for credit.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The salt......

From everyone's favourite Alchemist/Jester

"Adelaide need a joint major sponsor because Toyota wouldn’t pay their asking price to be sole major anymore. Adelaide had to put money into their grassroots Good for Footy campaign just to get it over the line...which is basically giving Toyota a discount on their sponsorship, since they were already running Good for Footy regardless."

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
People going to the low hanging fruit of the Port trolling are really missing what's most funny about this
Said it before, will say it again.

Anytime I see the CFC insignia I think "Crows Feeder Club".

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

I always found the 'Protected sponsor' thing rather ironic, and rubbery at times.

Back in Brisbane's premiership run, they got a $250,000 fine for 'Bringing the game into disrepute' because the Gabba switched from Coca Cola to Cadbury-Schweppes (who own the Pepsi brand in Australia). We also saw Vodafone 'encouraged' to exit the AFL market to protect Telstra once they started sponsoring a heap of low-budget teams (though it looks like Vodafone were happy to focus their energy elsewhere).

Yet we've seen North Melbourne sponsored by Mazda for years, Geelong's long term deal with Ford, and Port briefly sponsored by Renault despite Toyota being the major sponsor of the league. To an extent, you could also say West Coast's iconic (albeit off again, on again) sponsorship with Hungry Jacks conflicts with the league's sponsorship deal with McDonalds.

It's not just the AFL though - Cadbury-Schweppes tried becoming a major sponsor of South a couple of years ago and the SANFL all but vetoed it. Channel 9 were also sponsors of Centrals and Norwood in 2014, and the SANFL discouraged these sponsorships from continuing.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I always found the 'Protected sponsor' thing rather ironic, and rubbery at times.

Back in Brisbane's premiership run, they got a $250,000 fine for 'Bringing the game into disrepute' because the Gabba switched from Coca Cola to Cadbury-Schweppes (who own the Pepsi brand in Australia). We also saw Vodafone 'encouraged' to exit the AFL market to protect Telstra once they started sponsoring a heap of low-budget teams (though it looks like Vodafone were happy to focus their energy elsewhere).

Yet we've seen North Melbourne sponsored by Mazda for years, Geelong's long term deal with Ford, and Port briefly sponsored by Renault despite Toyota being the major sponsor of the league. To an extent, you could also say West Coast's iconic (albeit off again, on again) sponsorship with Hungry Jacks conflicts with the league's sponsorship deal with McDonalds.

It's not just the AFL though - Cadbury-Schweppes tried becoming a major sponsor of South a couple of years ago and the SANFL all but vetoed it. Channel 9 were also sponsors of Centrals and Norwood in 2014, and the SANFL discouraged these sponsorships from continuing.
I wonder if Coke (and at the time Telstra) had non compete sponsor clauses in their individual contracts.

They pay extra to ensure direct competitors cant be associated with the AFL.

Coke may be the only company to still have such an arrangement.

I wonder if Coke (and at the time Telstra) had non compete sponsor clauses in their individual contracts.

They pay extra to ensure direct competitors cant be associated with the AFL.

Coke may be the only company to still have such an arrangement.

Doesn't something similar happen with beer sales at the footy?

That's why we have to put up with watered down, mid-strength crap.

Back