Sport arena dimensions

I still find it weird in such a professional sport we have each oval at different dimensions.
Off the top of my head

Cricket
Footy
Ice Hockey
Soccer
Baseball
Softball
Gaelic Football
Rugby Union in touch goal line to dead ball line

All have minimums and maximums for field sizes but not fixed field sizes. All major indoor sports except ice hockey are fixed sizes.

It Just Is

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2012
On cloud 9
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Can suck it!
Off the top of my head

Cricket
Footy
Ice Hockey
Soccer
Baseball
Softball
Gaelic Football

All have minimums and maximums for field sizes but not fixed field sizes. All major indoor sports except ice hockey are fixed sizes.
Very surprised that Ice Hockey makes this list. Good fact.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Off the top of my head

Cricket
Footy
Ice Hockey
Soccer
Baseball
Softball
Gaelic Football

I would've sworn ice hockey rinks were a standard size. You learn something every day.

I think the NHL has a fixed size for all its rinks, which is narrower than the rinks used in Europe and the Olympics.
When the NHL went thru it's 3rd major expansion phase in the early 1990's it started to standardise rinks as it knew eventually the old teams would build new stadiums. A few were grandfathered. Toronto''s Maple Leaf Gardens and Boston Gardens were 2 that I remember. But they have been replaced by modern stadiums in the last the decade. I think there are still a couple of the stadiums built pre 1992 expansion of the 31 teams that are different to the standard size.

Back