Toast Sports Documentaries

Remove this Banner Ad

I bloody love them, the american sports have them in abundance and they are FANTASTIC!

Soccer has had some absolute pearlers in recent year as well.

Are there any good footy ones that come close? The ones I've seen are very 'careful' or poorly produced.

Some of the soccer pearlers:

Finding Jack Charlton

Three Kings

Love the majority of the 30 for 30 documentaries.

As you would probably guess “I believe in miracles” is up there for me. I have The Three Kings ready to go, based in your earlier recommendation.

I liked seeing the inner workings of a club as shown in Sunderland ‘till I die.

My favourite sporting documentary is When We We’re Kings.

Any Aussie rules recommendations? I found the one they did during the Covid season sickly sweet and contrived.
The problem is everything is ‘Official’.

Any Aussie rules recommendations? I found the one they did during the Covid season sickly sweet and contrived.
The problem is everything is ‘Official’.
Here are 4 Channel 7 produced about each decade

The 90's - The Decade that Delivered

The 80's - Electrifying Eighties

The 70' - Sensational Seventies

The '00's

The Rob Dickson stuff by ex Hawk and Brisbane Bears player turned filmmaker, has some good stuff. He died in a car crash in 2009 only 45 and his brother Peter took over doing footy then cricket and other sports docos. He was filming stuff when he was a player. See the website for a full list;

Rob's films are archived at this link from the above one

Rob's first film about Hawthorn's end of season trips to play exhibition games around the world sponsored by Fosters when John Elliot was trying to Fosterize the world. I was living in Toronto in 1988 and went to the game.

Good for Football

1989 GF interviews a lot of players and coaches this is worth watching if you don't know much about that GF and even if you do. The brutality of the game is fully examined.

1990 GF

Rob made this in 2008 about re 150th anniversary of the game and finished it just before he died in early 2009.

Passion to Play was made by Rob Dickson for the AFLPA it was 2x2hrs but this guy has put it all on 1 video.

Others

Last edited:
Here are 4 Channel 7 produced about each decade

The 90's - The Decade that Delivered

The 80's - Electrifying Eighties

The 70' - Sensational Seventies

The '00's

The Rob Dickson stuff by ex Hawk and Brisbane Bears player turned filmmaker, has some good stuff. He died in a car crash in 2009 only 45 and his brother Peter took over doing footy then cricket and other sports docos. He was filming stuff when he was a player. See the website for a full list;

Rob's films are archived at this link from the above one

Rob's first film about Hawthorn's end of season trips to play exhibition games around the world sponsored by Fosters when John Elliot was trying to Fosterize the world.

Good for Football

1989 GF interviews a lot of players and coaches this is worth watching if you don't know much about that GF and even if you do. The brutality of the game is fully examined.

1990 GF

Rob made this in 2008 about re 150th anniversary of the game and finished it just before he died in early 2009.

Passion to Play was made by Rob Dickson for the AFLPA it was 2x2hrs but this guy has put it all on 1 video.

Others

Ooh, thanks! That’s tomorrow sorted :).

In 1995 Footscray agreed to filmmaker Michael Cordell to spend 1996 season with Footscray which turned out to be a disaster, sacked Alan Joyce, replaced by Terry Wallace and were in financial strife as Fitzroy fell over and were forced to merge / taken over by Brisbane. It was access all areas. It is called Year of the Dogs.

Can't find anything on you tube other than snippets. IMDb page is

This was the most famous scene. Footscray were 8 or 9 goals down at 1/4 time and lost by a goal.

In 1995 Footscray agreed to filmmaker Michael Cordell to spend 1996 season with Footscray which turned out to be a disaster, sacked Alan Joyce, replaced by Terry Wallace and were in financial strife as Fitzroy fell over and were forced to merge / taken over by Brisbane. It was access all areas. It is called Year of the Dogs.

Can't find anything on you tube other than snippets. IMDb page is

This was the most famous scene. Footscray were 8 or 9 goals down at 1/4 time and lost by a goal.

I bought a bundles of shows when I arrived to 'catch up' on Aussie culture. This was in a bundle with 'The Club' and 'The Great McCarthy'.

Of Soccer docos, I enjoyed '89' on Stan.
Most of them are now basically PR exercises unfortunately.

30 for 30 series are always great.

Of non 30 for 30 i really loved

"AFL - Full color football" about the history of The American Football league before it merged with the NFL.
5 part series all available on youtube

And the missing rings series about some famous superbowl losers
Buffalo being the biggest

For something a bit different 30 for 30

Marcus Dupree 'The best that never was'

The man was an athletic beast/freak, sad in parts, but real and not a sob story. Again I say athletic beast/freak

I bought a bundles of shows when I arrived to 'catch up' on Aussie culture. This was in a bundle with 'The Club' and 'The Great McCarthy'.

Was that the bundle that has a DVD of North Melbourne’s 1979 preseason in it?

Some fleeting footage of the great man in it.

Was that the bundle that has a DVD of North Melbourne’s 1979 preseason in it?

Some fleeting footage of the great man in it.
Sadly not, because that sounds a great doco!

Sadly not, because that sounds a great doco!

Ahhhh. I bought a bundle with Year of the Dogs, The Club, one other film I can’t remember and what I think was a 20-30 ‘doco’ which was just training/preseason footage of North ‘79.

I’ll have to dig it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhhh. I bought a bundle with Year of the Dogs, The Club, one other film I can’t remember and what I think was a 20-30 ‘doco’ which was just training/preseason footage of North ‘79.

I’ll have to dig it up.
Still available for purchase from the National Film and Sound Archives.

1980, 26 Minutes

A behind-the-scenes look at the Victorian Football League team, North Melbourne, and the preparation and physical build-up that goes into getting a team ready for the premier Australian Rules football competition.

Ron Barassi, from North Melbourne, is shown in his role as a leading VFL coach and we follow the team through its early training sessions to the opening match of the season. The film highlights some of the spectacular action from the North Melbourne-Carlton challenge of 1979.

© 2011 National Film and Sound Archive of Australia.

197803900.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back