Sportsbet 40+ disposals saga

burge13

All Australian
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've had bets canceled after I've made a mistake as a punter after calling up as soon as I realised. Where the market hasn't moved, they've always refunded as per my request so that's just incorrect. I've had bets cancelled by bookmakers for betting palps. It's in the rules, so you just cop it. I've also had palps paid because I didn't go screaming it from the rooftop which is what everyone should do. Keep it to yourself.

The only thing here is whether or not it was a clear error and they decided it wasn't. Good for the people who got their money here but I felt at the time it was wrong & still do, they knew they were betting an error - hence every man and his dog hearing about it & everyone telling their mates, and the amounts bet on a 100/1+ shot by otherwise small time punters, seen from betting statements showing they ordinarily bet $5/$10 units, now betting $100+ on such long odds, shows again they knew it was too good to be true. The actual outcome from memory worked out to be that about 1 in every 4 rounds, nobody had 40 for the round over the last couple of years, again showing it was a huge mistake. For everyone saying "they just took overs" it's quite clearly more than that, $101-$200 odds about a $4 pop is clearly a mistake however the number of times it actually happened wasn't considered when deciding if it was a clear error.

Have a couple of mates who have ended up with $15-$25k from this so happy for them but dare say that's the end of their Sportsbet accounts (especially if they just withdraw it) but they'd sell their account for that much without a doubt. Overall don't think "punters win" as I've seen in a couple of comments, just the group who were on the bet. Things will tighten up further for everyone else and rules will be tightened further, things monitored more closely. TBH it's a bit of karma for bookmakers replacing many of their odds compilers/traders with IT gurus with computer systems & algorithms, as no doubt a trader would've seen the volume being bet on this, looked into why and culled the market with much less than the $9mil liability they ended up with.
But it wasn't an obvious error as they had similar odds up in previous weeks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oraaaaazio

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
But it wasn't an obvious error as they had similar odds up in previous weeks...
How many times they put it up doesn't matter, they have someone setting the odds who doesn't know what they're doing (not the punters fault they sacked the traders in favour of computer geeks but it's still in the rules) and did it with the same process until they get caught out & realised their error. Getting 150/1 on something that happens every ~3 rounds is an error, not overs. 7 rounds this year, in a 23 round season nobody had 40 touches, none of those occurred in shortened bye rounds.. a 30.43% chance/$3.29 pop in true odds. Crude working but it's as good as you're gonna get.

Say there's a horse running today you know to be a $3 shot and the bookie is offering $151. Do you take it? Absolutely if you're willing to risk having your account chopped. Are you surprised when it's voided because it's clearly a mistake? Not at all.

Punters won this one but we've lost 1000s over the years and I bet it won't happen again. I've had it happen dozens of times but the worst one was a couple of years back, I had a jockey challenge bet at MadBookie at $18, same jock was $18 at luxbet and $11/$13 elsewhere, $9 at Sportsbet who had moved on him. Got 3 races in and MB voids my bet because of error rules because I took $18 and they had been slow to wind it in, he went on to win and my mate who had backed it at Luxbet had his bet paid without question. I took it to the gaming commission, using other books prices & payouts as evidence & I lost due to MB's "clear and palpable error" clause. I was genuinely surprised that Sportsbet lost here because it was a much clearer error than the one I lost - albeit mine was through Norfolk Island commission & not NT.

Last edited:

burge13

All Australian
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
How many times they put it up doesn't matter, they have someone setting the odds who doesn't know what they're doing
This is where we differ then. It's their problem to hire the right people, the agency decided those odds were fair for at least 4 rounds. That deems it to not be 'obvious' to me

On top of this, the odds were available & fluctuated for 4 days the week of the canceled bets.

People rightly bet it but if it was an 'obvious error' they had 4 weeks to rectify it. They had 4 days of bets flowing in to notice it and didn't? They're either really bad at their job which we know isn't true or they sh1t themselves at the risk of their set lines and tried to use the T&C's to hide.

They have Business Analysts, Risk Managers, etc on hand and no one in the entire company saw this? It makes it clear to me that this wasn't an 'obvious error' as if it was, one of these experts would have found it before it got out of control.

Now that doesn't mean they won't close accounts and limit punters but literally no evidence is/was in their favour here. The correct result, in the end, was to pay out & they did

Last edited:

54Dogs

Premium Platinum
Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Account limiting will be on a case by case basis. They have already paid out but a decent chance a bunch of these punters donate a chunk back. probably doing it now over the carnival.

Limiting will be for those who have a pattern indicating SB will get none back

Promo ban the most likely route, maybe limiting purely of footy multis

asanque

Premium Platinum
Jan 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was genuinely surprised that Sportsbet lost here because it was a much clearer error than the one I lost - albeit mine was through Norfolk Island commission & not NT.
I think that is the main difference there.

Where you have a regional gaming commission who only exists due to licensing fees from bookmakers.

Now defunct.

Edit: The NT Commission ruled on past precedent from other similar cases on 'obvious error' or not.

Jugada

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The continuing to take bets and shorten the odds as money came in during the week probably what hurt them the most. Hard to argue you made a string of obvious errors like that

54Dogs

Premium Platinum
Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The continuing to take bets and shorten the odds as money came in during the week probably what hurt them the most. Hard to argue you made a string of obvious errors like that
Especially the ones which were referred to traders and accepted. Hard to argue it was an error with automation in that scenario

Top Bottom