Spotify In Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Just don't make the mistake of thinking that artists are seeing much of this money...

When the inevitable happens and people come knocking down my door looking for pirated material, they'll at least see over 1000 CDs and LPs and a Spotify subscription along with the stuff I didn't pay for and maybe they'll think that I'm not so much a thief, just a huge music fan. And maybe the record companies will think that at least I gave them a little bit of money.

Absolutely love it. Makes everything even easier again. I've got an unlimited account at the moment, but I'll probably get the premium account in the next few weeks so I can use the app on my phone. The only worthwhile competition for it is Rdio, but I think Spotify seems to be the leading horse in streaming at the moment.

For anyone interested, this is a really interesting read on how much money actually gets from Spotify to the artists:

http://www.spotidj.com/spotifyroyalties.htm

what the hell has happened to this thing?
this past week spotify has been slow as s**t.. i really hope it gets back to being good again or i'm out:mad:

anyone else having problems with buffering

OK - it's been a while now since I've been using Spotify pretty much for all my music listening...

But I'm still getting my head around why some albums are available and others aren't. The word from Spotify is:

"The music / artist I'm looking for isn't on Spotify. Now what?!
Many folks in the Community have requested certain tracks, albums or artists be added to Spotify. The reality is that we would like to have all the world's music available on Spotify. Therefore, anything which we have the right to upload and has been provided to us, should be available on Spotify.

We are signing new labels and adding great music every week. Hopefully your favourite music will be up soon.

If you still can't find the music you're looking for, try contacting the artist or record label and ask why the music isn't on Spotify. "

That's all well-and-good, but it's pretty annoying. For instance:
  • The only Stone Temple Pilots worth a damn, Purple, isn't available in Australia even though it has the same distributor and is on the same record label as the albums released by the band either side of it.
  • There are no Hoodoo Gurus albums available in Australia (the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard).
  • As a Sun Kil Moon fan, I'm happy that I can listen to Ghosts of the Great Highway (album 1), Tiny Cities (album 2), and Among the Leaves (album 5), but not April (album 3) or Admiral Fell Promises (album 4).
  • Pretty much the entire Bob Dylan catalogue is available, however his box set Biograph isn't. Normally I wouldn't be picky like this, but it contains the studio version of 'Lay Down Your Weary Tune'... and I'd like to listen to it often.
  • My Morning Jacket's Circuital isn't available in Australia (unlike the rest of their awesome catalogue)
  • All U2, but no Rattle & Hum?
  • All Wilco, but no Yankee Hotel Foxtrot?
Some of those are just cruel.

I don't mind that artists haven't made their catalogues available yet. Annoying, but whatever. I don't like that we have little bits of (would be) complete catalogues missing, especially when they're available to overseas users.

Anyone got others worth mentioning?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some artists make conscious decisions to not put albums on there. Same goes with new albums, like Vampire Weekend wanted to bump up sales and so delayed its upload for a while.

OK - it's been a while now since I've been using Spotify pretty much for all my music listening...

But I'm still getting my head around why some albums are available and others aren't. The word from Spotify is:

"The music / artist I'm looking for isn't on Spotify. Now what?!
Many folks in the Community have requested certain tracks, albums or artists be added to Spotify. The reality is that we would like to have all the world's music available on Spotify. Therefore, anything which we have the right to upload and has been provided to us, should be available on Spotify.

We are signing new labels and adding great music every week. Hopefully your favourite music will be up soon.

If you still can't find the music you're looking for, try contacting the artist or record label and ask why the music isn't on Spotify. "

That's all well-and-good, but it's pretty annoying. For instance:
  • The only Stone Temple Pilots worth a damn, Purple, isn't available in Australia even though it has the same distributor and is on the same record label as the albums released by the band either side of it.
  • There are no Hoodoo Gurus albums available in Australia (the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard).
  • As a Sun Kil Moon fan, I'm happy that I can listen to Ghosts of the Great Highway (album 1), Tiny Cities (album 2), and Among the Leaves (album 5), but not April (album 3) or Admiral Fell Promises (album 4).
  • Pretty much the entire Bob Dylan catalogue is available, however his box set Biograph isn't. Normally I wouldn't be picky like this, but it contains the studio version of 'Lay Down Your Weary Tune'... and I'd like to listen to it often.
  • My Morning Jacket's Circuital isn't available in Australia (unlike the rest of their awesome catalogue)
  • All U2, but no Rattle & Hum?
  • All Wilco, but no Yankee Hotel Foxtrot?
Some of those are just cruel.

I don't mind that artists haven't made their catalogues available yet. Annoying, but whatever. I don't like that we have little bits of (would be) complete catalogues missing, especially when they're available to overseas users.

Anyone got others worth mentioning?

Yeah Bluebottle kiss is one i can think of. They only have there first few albums and a few ep's on there. contacted them about it and its purely a money thing which i can totally understand. apparently spotify is not to great for the artists. so with smaller cult acts like BBK i don't mind it... but when there are massive bands on there with gaps.. i don't really get that at all.

Yeah Bluebottle kiss is one i can think of. They only have there first few albums and a few ep's on there. contacted them about it and its purely a money thing which i can totally understand. apparently spotify is not to great for the artists. so with smaller cult acts like BBK i don't mind it... but when there are massive bands on there with gaps.. i don't really get that at all.

I just read a really interesting article about the payouts of royalties for streaming as opposed to radio, which is well worth a look at: http://www.futurehitdna.com/pandora-royalties-the-real-answer/#more-2262

It misses a key point that streaming is actually replacing digital downloads, rather than simply replacing radio, but it still raises a lot of valid observations.

The silliest thing about acts not going on Spotify is that the longer they hold out on an actual paid streaming model, the bigger non-paying streaming models that already exist will get. The most obvious example of that is Youtube. Bluebottle Kiss are on Youtube and I can guarantee you they see nothing from any videos that have their music in them (whether it's an official video or not).

It is a very difficult position for artists.

Once upon a time, if you wanted to listen to an artist, you had to pay for the privilege by buying a record or cassette. Sure, people made mix tapes or taped the odd thing for a mate, but mostly people bought stuff.

We now have a new generation coming through that think it is normal to listen to and have access to music for free. This is not a dig at Gen Y, just an observation that we did not have this option. As it happens, I use Spotify a lot and pay for the premium service. About 90% of the stuff I have on my account, I already own on CD or vinyl, but enjoy the convenience of having that same music when I want it. On my phone, my ipad and my computer at work.

If I discover a new artist on Spotify, I download it and listen to it, but still buy the hard copy, particularly if it is an upcoming artist. Old habits die hard. I just bought another CD shelf.

Some ethics need to be applied by us consumers.

Spotify and other streaming services are a marketing tool only. Unless you're really at the top end of the game you're earning virtually nothing (even then margins are slim at the top). For smaller bands, it doesn't make a great deal of sense not being on Spotifiy if becoming more popular is what they're after.
For bigger acts like Tool, Neil Young, Metallica, etc there's really not much value in being on this service, as their music is already well known, and they're unlikely to see much money by releasing it. They'd rather retain control of their work and release it as they see fit, rather than see it used to raise revenue for a company streaming it.

I actually like the way you can save albums now, rather than having a bunch of playlists that can't be ordered alphabetically! Now, the only playlists I have are actual playlists that I've chosen. It's a massive upgrade in both aesthetics and usability.

I actually like the way you can save albums now, rather than having a bunch of playlists that can't be ordered alphabetically! Now, the only playlists I have are actual playlists that I've chosen. It's a massive upgrade in both aesthetics and usability.

I haven't got my head around the whole saving thing. Will get there I guess.

when you bring up an album just hit the save button
it will then transfer that album into the albums tab under Your Music

yeah good feature when you wanna lineup plenty

I have made a playlist called bedtime for my son.

I lay down with him at bedtime and play 1 or 2 songs from it to calm him each night. When I hear a song that might be suitable while I am at work, I add it for a constant supply of good music. It is part of a musical education for him.

Last night was God Only Knows by the Beach Boys and I was so proud when he said. "These sound a bit like The Beatles".

I have tried to mix the genres, so that he can get a taste of different approaches.

Chet Baker, Willie Nelson, Tom Waits, Elton John, Brian Eno, The Carpenters, The Reels, The Mamas and The Papas, Los Lobos, Mogwai, Kris Kristofferson, Neil Young, Ryuichi Sakamoto etc.

I have made another one for gardening which is largely Americana.

One for work which is a lot of soundscapes, jazz, classical.

It has changed the way I listen to music.

As Up For Grabs said earlier. I own 1000s of CD's hundreds of albums, support live music etc. so if I get an occasional song for free, I do it guilt free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back