Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

caseman2

Team Captain
Mar 31, 2008
NYC
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Couple of youngsters get to show their wares over the next month or so to push for the vacant list spot (or 2).

Bets of luck to the them.

Couple of youngsters get to show their wares over the next month or so to push for the vacant list spot (or 2).

Bets of luck to the them.

Callow's highlights were far better than I was expecting. Despite being on the shorter side of modern KPP, he seems to have a really good reach and took some absolute towering marks over his opponents.

Tassie has a great record with churning out key forwards, Hudson, Hart, Richo, Lynch, Riewoldt(s) so let's hope that lightning continues to strike.

My wishlist with those two remaining list spots is a key forward and a small forward. The entire forward-line needs an overhaul. It’s the biggest concern.

The backline is starting to take shape, the midfield will short itself out, but the forward needs some serious work. Build around Lewis.

My wishlist with those two remaining list spots is a key forward and a small forward. The entire forward-line needs an overhaul. It’s the biggest concern.

The backline is starting to take shape, the midfield will short itself out, but the forward needs some serious work. Build around Lewis.
Just on the small forwards point, we have recently drafted Morris, Brockman, Saunders and Mitchell, although, interestingly, Brockman and Saunders are listed as midfielders, and we have Moore as well.
So, in focussing on another small forward in the SPP, could you reasonably expect to find someone who is more capable or advanced than those already on the list?
Given our on-field performances over the past year, I agree the forward line is in some need, but not sure another small forward is an immediate need unless you can find another Poppy somewhere in rough.
Will take time for any of these new players to make a mark.
Our midfield is in need of some real spark, though. We don't have anyone who can flip a game like Danger or Dusty. Perhaps Chad if he plays mid full time.

Jackson-Callow-TD.png

AFL Draft Watch: Jackson Callow (Tasmania Devils/Allies)
June 11, 2020 by Michael Alvaro
IN the build up to football eventually returning, Draft Central takes a look at some of this year’s brightest names who have already represented their state at Under 17 or Under 18s level in 2019. While plenty can change between now and then, we will provide a bit of an insight into players, how they performed at the NAB League Preseason Testing Day hosted by Rookie Me, and some of our scouting notes on them from last year.
Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft Watch is Tasmania’s Jackson Callow, a powerful key forward who is not afraid to throw his weight around. The 193cm prospect was a mainstay in the Devils’ maiden full-time NAB League campaign, booting 24 goals in 14 games as his side’s focal point up forward. Callow also played a key role in North Launceston’s Tasmanian State League (TSL) premiership triumph, booting a game-high three goals in the decider.
After failing to break through for the 2019 National Championships, Callow seems a lock for the 2020 Allies Under 18 side and has fared well in his representative duties with Tasmania thus far. While he looks most comfortable inside forward 50, Callow can also pinch-hit in the ruck and was even tried in defence during the Under 17 All Stars showcase fixture. His physicality and unrivalled contested marking often draw multiple opponents, with the big-man hard to stop at full flight.

PLAYER PAGE:
Jackson Callow
North Launceston/Tasmania/Allies
DOB: June 11, 2002
Height: 193.6cm
Weight: 95.5kg
Position: Key Forward

ds-will-bravo-300x200.jpg

Height181cmWeight77kgCurrent TeamDandenong StingraysBirthdayMay 6, 2002

POSITION: Inside Midfielder
DRAFT ANALYSIS: “Bravo is an inside midfielder with clean hands and some great athletic traits.” – Peter Williams
Will Bravo is a strong, tough inside midfielder who showed in his bottom-age year what he was capable of at NAB League level. Whilst his consistency could improve and his kicking iron out, there are plenty of ticked boxes for the teenager who was fierce and tough when in congestion. He also had plenty of speed and evasion to show he could play as an inside midfielder or forward at the next level. Without having played a game this year, Bravo was unable to spend more time on-ball, but has enough runs on the board from his bottom-age season to show his wares.
STRENGTHS:
  • Clean hands
  • Inside game
  • Speed
  • Defensive pressure
  • Strength
  • Evasion
IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Kicking
  • Consistency
  • Accumulation
Bravo is not a huge ball winner, but his work on the inside is where he stands out. In 2019, he averaged just over 10 touches a game, but ran at 44.9 per cent contested and had some of the cleanest hands in close. Often under pressure or winning his own ball – he had a very low handball receive rate – Bravo does not take a backwards step when it comes to his attack on the football. One of the stronger medium-small players going around, Bravo makes opposition players nervous when they get their hands on the ball due to his dual threat of power and speed which will not only see him run down opponents, but make sure they feel it too. With ball-in-hand, Bravo is able to exit stoppages through his evasion, and whilst most of his work has come in the forward half, he would not have any question marks over his midfield ability.
Bravo finished off last season in style, picking up 20 disposals, three marks, seven clearances, seven inside 50s, two rebounds and a goal in an elimination finals loss to Calder Cannons. He has not played a competitive match for points since then for the Stingrays, but with three of those clearances being centre clearances and running at almost 50 per cent contested, he produced the same numbers he did when he was playing out of the centre square. By hand, Bravo executes 77.4 per cent of the time effectively, and instead it is when he rushes with ball to boot that his effectiveness drops. His kicking went at 50 per cent from his 14 games, and whilst it was often under pressure, it is an area he could certainly improve for the future.
Whilst it was briefly touched on above, without a doubt Bravo wins his own ball with less than a third of his touches coming from a handball receive. In only two games for the entire season did he have more than 50 per cent handball receives to disposals, and in those matches he played more of an outside role. As a consistent tackler – laying a tackle in every game – Bravo has great defensive pressure and work ethic as well. He only kicked the seven goals in 14 games, but it is his pressure that stands out more than his finishing, and he did often play further up the ground and rotated through the midfield.
It would be better to see him win more of the football on a consistent basis, with six single-digit disposal games, and only the one game – that final – where he had more than 16 touches. The frustrating thing about not playing the season was seeing just how well he could do full-time on-ball and he could have allayed those question marks, but if his final was anything to go by, he would do just fine in there. He might not have the accolades of some other inside midfielders this year, but he has the traits to watch going forward.
DRAFT PROJECTION: Late/rookie
Bravo is one of a number of players who could have really increased his draft range with a full season in 2020, given he showed enough that should suggest he is worth a late or rookie chance. He has the athleticism to match the inside contested work, it will just be whether or not a club decides that his bottom-age year and limited on-ball minutes will be enough. He could be a value pick later in the draft given his skillset.

I remember mid last year when people's phantom drafts and the like were coming out Callow was always in the mix in the top 30 odd picks, from the footage I've seen I can see why. Would love for him to get a chance- strong marking forwards are a rarity and it'd be great to have him into our young kpf mix (kosi, lewis and Jeka).
I haven't seen any footage on Bravo though, does anyone know anything extra about the kid?

Let's temper expectations a little. This time last year people were hoping we selected Darcy Cassar as he was training with us after missing out in the 2019 draft and now he is hoping just to play seniors at Keilor.

Half-back flanker Darcy Cassar has also returned to Keilor after he was overlooked in the 2019 AFL National Draft.

Cassar spent three seasons at Western Jets and is pushing for a spot in the senior side for the Blues’ traditional Good Friday clash against Strathmore on April 2 at Joe Brown Oval.

“We know he’s not far away from playing senior footy at our club,” McGuane said.

“He just brings some real electricity with his speed and his kicking is continually improving, as is his decision making.

“Whether he starts in the seniors from the first game, it’s really up to him with how he performs.”

Let's temper expectations a little. This time last year people were hoping we selected Darcy Cassar as he was training with us after missing out in the 2019 draft and now he is hoping just to play seniors at Keilor.

Half-back flanker Darcy Cassar has also returned to Keilor after he was overlooked in the 2019 AFL National Draft.

Cassar spent three seasons at Western Jets and is pushing for a spot in the senior side for the Blues’ traditional Good Friday clash against Strathmore on April 2 at Joe Brown Oval.

“We know he’s not far away from playing senior footy at our club,” McGuane said.

“He just brings some real electricity with his speed and his kicking is continually improving, as is his decision making.

“Whether he starts in the seniors from the first game, it’s really up to him with how he performs.”

Always good to temper expectations, I guess there's just a bit more excitement in this pre-season because there are so many unkowns with kids who missed the entire U18 season.

Cassar was passed on after 2 years of full viewing and exposure as a junior, these kids missed the entire year which could make or break their chances.

Just on the small forwards point, we have recently drafted Morris, Brockman, Saunders and Mitchell, although, interestingly, Brockman and Saunders are listed as midfielders, and we have Moore as well.
So, in focussing on another small forward in the SPP, could you reasonably expect to find someone who is more capable or advanced than those already on the list?
Given our on-field performances over the past year, I agree the forward line is in some need, but not sure another small forward is an immediate need unless you can find another Poppy somewhere in rough.
Our midfield is in need of some real spark, though. We don't have anyone who can flip a game like Danger or Dusty. Perhaps Chad if he plays mid full time.

None of them are small forwards though, with the exception of Brockman.

Moore is a half forward and tends to play high up the ground, Mitchell and Morris are half forwards, and Saunders is an inside midfielder.

Bringing in another small forward via the draft is necessary. We have very little forward half depth.

Hopefully...fingers crossed and all.
If not him, who?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Bravo as more of a Popeye replacement, whereas Brockman & Saunders might be more the creative/attacking types.

Here's an excerpt from articles about him:

there are plenty of ticked boxes for the teenager who was fierce and tough when in congestion. He also had plenty of speed and evasion to show he could play as an inside midfielder or forward at the next level. Without having played a game this year, Bravo was unable to spend more time on-ball, but has enough runs on the board from his bottom-age season to show his wares.
STRENGTHS:
  • Clean hands
  • Inside game
  • Speed
  • Defensive pressure
  • Strength
  • Evasion
I'm sure he had (maybe has?) designs on being a midfielder, but a quick, strong, evasive, aggressive player with good hands & defensive pressure is severely lacking in our forwardline & has been for 2 years now. And, if he can roll through the midfield (in time), then that's a double-threat, that we really need.

That's my hope.

Are we able to pick both of them up?

I'm really glad we are giving Callow a go. I'd never heard of Bravo, but I like his name and his write-up makes him sound like an interesting talent.
Scully retiring creates 1 spot.

Another could be created by sending Sicily to LTI list or if Patton was de-listed somehow.

Can Patton not be moved to LTI based on his inability to play due to (mental) health reasons?

Scully retiring creates 1 spot.

Another could be created by sending Sicily to LTI list or if Patton was de-listed somehow.

Can Patton not be moved to LTI based on his inability to play due to (mental) health reasons?

Ditch Patton or put Sicily on ice for the year? Either one works for me.

Just on one of the Box Hill boys we already have under wing, who we are trialling for SPP/MSD just as much as Callow and Bravo.

According to AFL Draft Central he is only 4 years old. Must be pretty good and room for a lot of improvement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back