Mid-season Draft discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

200cm forwards came in vogue after the establishment of Zone defences.
I recon if there are teams that can transition quicker than others from their back half then a faster leading option will always outshine a tall pack marking forward. Darcy Fogarty is another who plays like Callow that I have been high on for quite some time that I think would be comparable.
Callow will get a gig...Nothing surer (actually have no idea). Has to much footballer about him to not develop him in the background. As for the other two, I think it will come down to how they see the recovery of the likes of Sicily and Patton. If the club can write them off with a LTI then I would expect that we could do the same with the other 2 boys as I think they would get a look in next season with a further clean out on the cards and an early look in the system can only be beneficial. One now and another mid season, unless something else pops up during the season.

it will be an interesting path this year for the rookies and the possible additions due to a couple of list issues. Definitely up to 4 changes from what is currently listed by the time the mid season draft is completed from what I can see

It will be interesting to see what we do with Jeka, Kosi (who is now a forward) and Lewis if we sign Callow.

I assume that it would then be Jeka that will have to be trialled as a KPD, as I doubt we'd be trying to keep four speculative KPF's on the list ongoing.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Jeka, Kosi (who is now a forward) and Lewis if we sign Callow.

I assume that it would then be Jeka that will have to be trialled as a KPD, as I doubt we'd be trying to keep four speculative KPF's on the list ongoing.
4 speculative forwards yes, but that's pretty much all we've got except TOB, and Gunners who is 30. I'd think Kossie is probably the one in the gun out of those 4.

4 speculative forwards yes, but that's pretty much all we've got except TOB, and Gunners who is 30. I'd think Kossie is probably the one in the gun out of those 4.

Yeah Kosi would have to be given he's been at the club longer than Jeka, and Lewis has at leas shown he can play well at AFL level. Kosi is in a tough spot given he's now just started training as a KPF. It feels like the last role of the dice for him.

But if Clarko is willing to keep guys like Nash around then he may be willing to give Kosi this year and next year to show whether he can make it as a KPF.

IMO TOB just isn't a KPF. If we are going to continue to play him then I think he'd be more suited to the Gunston-like role. He's just not good enough as a target KPF.

Hopefully Lewis is injury free and has had a solid pre-season and he goes back to playing in the vein he was when he first got into the team. He could lock down a KPF spot. Either way he's more established then Jeka and Kosi.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im going on the assumption that #26 in the Box Hill practice match against Footscray was Bravo (could be wrong), i just thought there was 1 clear stand out in that game and it was Lachie Bramble.

Lachie Bramble 22/23 from Calder/Williamstown, moves well for a winger who also has an ok contested game, used the ball well and looked comfortable out there, only criticism was his defensive game at times, but that goes for most wingers, you would expect a good performance from a seasoned VFL player, he did show some signs he could perhaps step up to the AFL level imo.

Will Bravo 18/19 from Dandenong, probably the best youngster from his age group at Dandenong along with defender Clayton Gay, was an outside chance to get drafted, if he was #26 he played a good game off of half back, along with Bramble was in the best handful for Box Hill in the practice match.

Jackson Callow 18/19 from Tasmania, was a bit up and down in form, had some good moments and some ordinary moments, read the ball in the air better than team mates and opponents alike and was a good focal point for a good amount of i50 forays, but Fergus Green who was recruited from the Bulldogs was probably our best performing forward on the day. (we had a packed forward line of Nash, Jeka, Fergus Green and Callow and the 2 best were Fergus Green and Callow i thought)

On Hawks TV Sammy Mitchell was very bullish on Kosi and excited about his athleticism and what he could become.

Unless Kosi had a really poor year, expect he has this and next.

Id wait if we are bottom or close to the bottom come the mid season draft we could get a kid that could have been top 5 in last years draft if the season was normal.

We have potentially three spot, thought we may grab one early. (Scully, Patton, Sicily)

Suspect we will grab one before the deadline, then look to leave a spot open for the MSD to give us a few more months of data.

If we don't take one of the three now, we can look to take them at MSD in June, just bit of a risk losing to another team. Might not be a big risk if we're bottom 4

Suspect we will grab one before the deadline, then look to leave a spot open for the MSD to give us a few more months of data.

If we don't take one of the three now, we can look to take them at MSD in June, just bit of a risk losing to another team. Might not be a big risk if we're bottom 4

I believe this is Bramble, i could not see Callow or Bravo in the limited training photos and videos via the Hawks media.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210305-010941_Hawthorn.jpg
    Screenshot_20210305-010941_Hawthorn.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 170
Not going to derail Lachie's threat talking about others. Does Bramble getting a position rule out the others entirely or could there be further announcements to come?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back