Running/Fitness Sprint training - Crawford, R. Harvey, Black, Cousins and Banfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
was reading up info about afl and sprint training and came across a few pages about a guy Mark Neates that did sprint training with a number of players. the list of some of the players he trained or gave advice to was impressive so tried to find more info.

closest i could find was in cousins' book he says he did sprints training with banfield and lynch that was run by neates.

not sure exactly how it goes but i'll try to write it out best i can.

1. sprinting between goal posts - 17 seconds
17 seconds rest
sprint to 50 metre line and back
short rest
(all of the above equals two reps)

2. now do 4 reps with 2 minutes off x 2

3. then do another 2 reps

he says he would get to the end of the 4th set (guessing 1 set = all of the above) and he'd be buggered

by now this stuff might be an old fashioned way of training for running (this was in 2002) but thought i'd post it for those that are curious anyway

Mark Neates im pretty sure is Ryan Neates (current eagles player ran 2.82 20m sprint in state screening) dad. I know his dad was the sprints coach at the eagles.

Id say sprinting is more about technique, getting rhythm, improving power/strength and running against people faster than you to improve. Thats what sprint coaches give you.

The above are just an interval setup and their are so many different ones that you can do.

Has anyone done 1km suicides before aiming to get under 4 minutes, with 4 min rest.

Or MAS training. Many different ones again but at WAFL we use to do around 55-60m (10 secs or less), than 30m jog (10 secs), 55-60m (10 secs), 30m jog (10 secs) that would be one rep in a square formation and you would do 7 reps of these. Get 2-3 minutes rest than do another 7 reps and you would end up doing 3 sets.

Also for MAS training you can do 50-60 m (depends on ability) 10 secs, 10 secs rest than go again doing 16 reps, or the 80m one with 15 secs to get the distance with 15 secs rest.

Or the truth? test. Distance about 20m or i use to go from behind post to behind post, running forward up than backwards on the way back, trying to get as many as you could in the 3 minutes, absolute burner for the legs and lactic buildup usually 15-18 was the top end scores from memory.

Or we use to also do 60m sprint (10 secs), 10 sec rest. Do 3 reps of these than 1 minute walk back rest and go again. Do this 4 times this was done under Phil Narkle and Gary Malarkey as coaches at school that some of you may know.

There are many many more that will come to my head and that i have done under experience professionals.

was reading up info about afl and sprint training and came across a few pages about a guy Mark Neates that did sprint training with a number of players. the list of some of the players he trained or gave advice to was impressive so tried to find more info.

closest i could find was in cousins' book he says he did sprints training with banfield and lynch that was run by neates.

not sure exactly how it goes but i'll try to write it out best i can.

1. sprinting between goal posts - 17 seconds
17 seconds rest
short rest
(all of the above equals two reps)

2. now do 4 reps with 2 minutes off x 2

3. then do another 2 reps

he says he would get to the end of the 4th set (guessing 1 set = all of the above) and he'd be buggered

by now this stuff might be an old fashioned way of training for running (this was in 2002) but thought i'd post it for those that are curious anyway

"1. sprinting between goal posts - 17 seconds
17 seconds rest
short rest"
So he does that once.... has a 2 minute break......then repeat 4X. Right?

"1. sprinting between goal posts - 17 seconds
17 seconds rest
short rest"

So he does that once.... has a 2 minute break......then repeat 4X. Right?

i'm not too sure tbh so confusing, didn't go into much detail so its hard to read it, i'll try write it out best i can

1. sprint between goal posts for 17 seconds then have 17 seconds of rest
2. sprint to 50 metre line and back, if it takes you 15 seconds to run there and back you get 15 seconds of rest.
3. now do all of the above twice and then have a 2 minute rest
4. then do the first 2 steps again

heres an extract from cousins' book, try to make sense of it if you can..i certainly can't and i'm awful at explaining things.

yndoc.png

We also use to do a similar thing along the boundary line run from behind post to behind post, have a certain rest than run out to the start of the square or 50m line. I cant remember the exact timing and resting but just shows that similar running sessions are still used. Also from memory our point to point post of the other end was 180m ~ so cant see anyone running that in 17 seconds.

I think if people want to get into it seriously find a 200m and 400m sprint grass track and start from there.

We also use to do a similar thing along the boundary line run from behind post to behind post, have a certain rest than run out to the start of the square or 50m line. I cant remember the exact timing and resting but just shows that similar running sessions are still used. Also from memory our point to point post of the other end was 180m ~ so cant see anyone running that in 17 seconds.

I think if people want to get into it seriously find a 200m and 400m sprint grass track and start from there.

the point post running is on one side of the ground, so very short sprints around the goal square area

yeah i assumed it was back and forth between the behind posts at one end for 17 seconds. which is tougher than 17 seconds in the same direction. if you go down and touch the ground makes it even tougher getting back up.

they're tough sessions but do more for you than a 5-6km run.

we did a pretty tough one at training tonight. started with 6 x post to post (180-200m), then did some core s**t, then 8 x 50m arc to 50m arc (~100m), then more core stuff, then 10 x one side of the centre square (45m) then trained, then finished about a dozen 20 metre sprints, getting down on the deck and back up after each. all the sprints work was done in 3 groups so you work 1 part and rested 2 parts.

yeah i assumed it was back and forth between the behind posts at one end for 17 seconds. which is tougher than 17 seconds in the same direction. if you go down and touch the ground makes it even tougher getting back up.

they're tough sessions but do more for you than a 5-6km run.

we did a pretty tough one at training tonight. started with 6 x post to post (180-200m), then did some core s**t, then 8 x 50m arc to 50m arc (~100m), then more core stuff, then 10 x one side of the centre square (45m) then trained, then finished about a dozen 20 metre sprints, getting down on the deck and back up after each. all the sprints work was done in 3 groups so you work 1 part and rested 2 parts.

I wonder why 17 seconds specifically? The eagles use to do a thing that they probably still do where they would do 15 reps + 2 so that could be a possible reason 15 secs + 2 more secs. Basically there theory behind that was to train the mind or the body to go further than was required.

Wow that is some running in a session especially a session during the footy season. Thats probably not ideal BT especially with a game on the weekend, you guys would be pretty flat and sore. What grade is this? Also if your oval is 180-200m which is extremely big and even if that was the case between the 50m arcs would not be 100m its more around the 60m mark on most ovals.

everyone misses the boat on "time" of which there is a huge element of it in football because whoever gets to the ball first, wins it

sprints with a time limit is a great way to go...you won't get faster but you have an aim to do a distance in a certain amount of time and it ensures that you'll go for as hard as you can for a s long as you can

now obviously you don't set your fastest time as the time limit cos you'll get it once and then you're done so you might start at 80% of your best time and adjust as needed

it's just a basic repeated sprint workout and as he said in the book, it's with incomplete rest and teaches you to work hard with lactate in the muscles

Wow that is some running in a session especially a session during the footy season. Thats probably not ideal BT especially with a game on the weekend, you guys would be pretty flat and sore. What grade is this? Also if your oval is 180-200m which is extremely big and even if that was the case between the 50m arcs would not be 100m its more around the 60m mark on most ovals.

yeah not a standard session, but we had a bye last weekend and a sunday game this weekend, so there was plenty of recovery and an easy lead in - i think the idea was for that session on monday but * all people turned up. still got done, closed the margin from 40 to 15 in the last... lost five of last seven now after once sitting on top of the ladder... hmmmm.

re; the distance. did a distance measurement tool and the 50 to 50 arcs are 85-90 metres however it was cricket season so it wasn't ideal but i know reasonably close to where our arcs are.. also our arcs are 45 metres so that stretches an extra 10 metres.... the only ground i could find that had their proper markings was subiaco and that was 130 metres between 50 arcs. obviously our ground isn't near as big. also i can't say this is tool is 100% accurate

http://www.daftlogic.com/projects-google-maps-distance-calculator.htm

it's just a basic repeated sprint workout and as he said in the book, it's with incomplete rest and teaches you to work hard with lactate in the muscles
Kirky, is there a rule of thumb about incomplete rests? I've heard rest periods at 50% or 1/3 of sprinting time, but that could just be the AFL equivalent of bro-science.
I've been running repeat ~400m with 30 seconds rest in between, followed by some shorter sprints (side of centre square).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not really as long as there is a progression of work to rest ratio so you might start at 1:5 and work down to 1:3 or lower

you can't forget quality though when training like this because although it might look good on paper that you're doing 400's every 30secs, if that 400 is taking you 3ins to do then it will probably just burn you out ore then anything

for players, footy actually has a time limit (get to the ball first) so if you're speed is s**t then that is where your focus should be

and shorter sprints should go first in the workout

went down to local footy club to jog a few laps and figured i'd give it a try. taped my knee up and away i went.

i couldn't remember how it went so i just did the following but did it 4 times

[[ sprinting between goal posts - 17 seconds
17 seconds rest
short rest roughly 15 seconds ]]

pretty safe to say i'm very unfit. i had weet bix about half an hour before i went (yep, i'm an idiot, really trying to get my calories in though) and chucked that up as i was finishing my 3rd run and sat on the ground for a minute thinking i was going to pass out, could see little flies everywhere. i'm probably still fitter than a couple of blokes on my indoor soccer team though :p

Interesting...

Made me get online and buy Cousins book..14.95 and I'm guessing will be an awesome read

amazing book, i've gone back to it a few times just for a laugh

Bought it last night at 11, now it's not even 12 hours and I've smashed through a quarter of it already..
I like how it's written, you can tell its an Aussie speaking and there isn't any bullshit that normal books have (pretentious, trying to use big words etc)

Who else's autobiography have u read?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back