Spud Q and A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rodan#18.

Club Legend
May 28, 2002
The engine room.
Other Teams
Richmond
Is there a question that you want to ask the Tigers coach? What are his plans for the rest of the season? Which players hold the keys to an improved performance? Email Danny Frawley and he will answer the five best questions every week.

Ask Danny
12:29:36 PM Thu 29 August, 2002
Danny,

I was surprised and a bit angry that comments are still being made by members of the media that Richo should be traded at the end of the year. I would have thought it quite obvious that he is a valued player for the Tigers, particularly when the ball is being delivered to him as it should be. But my main question is as good as Wayne Campbell is with picking up possessions, some of his disposals worry me a bit (especially coming from a captain who has quite a few years' experience behind him), eg Collingwood Round 16 MCG Punt Rd end, handball straight to Collingwood player resulting in their first goal for the night. It is a degree of concern watching your captain turn the ball over so easily.

Regards,

Vanessa

Vanessa,

Like all players in the competition, Wayne occasionally makes a mistake with his disposal -- like the one you have pointed out. But I can assure you I'm not going to dwell on any negatives that may from time to time appear in Wayne's game. Given the team's struggle on the field this year, Wayne's form, once again, has been excellent. He has led by example and worked tirelessly to lift the team throughout the season. I can't speak more highly of his efforts at the Club since I took over as coach three years ago. In a nutshell, he is a model of consistency.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

I was just wondering what types of players you were thinking about recruiting for the 2003 season? I did read the article about looking for a "strong-bodied on-baller", but I was wondering what else you were considering? Also, I thought that in the game against Hawthorn (Round 20), our backline was slightly stretched without Gaspar. Although Hall did a good job on Thompson when he was put there, I thought it would have been a preferred option to keep him available to free up Ottens and Stafford. Do you think more key backmen would be a good option?

Regards,

Daniel Carter

Daniel,

While boosting the midfield will probably be our No. 1 recruiting priority for 2003, we'll also be on the lookout for a tall, versatile key-position player, who could be used effectively at either end of the ground.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

I was just wondering on the year of the little excitement machine David Rodan. He has had a good year and I thought maybe he could have had a bit more time on the field, especially because Richmond was not going too well. I thought we should have given him nearly the whole game for game experience.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

David Rodan has certainly been one of the big plusses that we'll take out of the 2002 season. The fact he's played every game throughout the season in the seniors has been a tribute to the impact he's had in his debut year. Despite his impressive showing, we've been very mindful of not wanting to burn him out by giving him too great a workload, too soon. That's why we've used him off the bench a bit in bursts. All the signs are there that David is going to have a long, successful career at Tigerland, but we don't want to place unrealistic expectations on him while he's still so young.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

Being a keen Tigers' supporter it has been good to see the boys hit a bit of form and string a few wins together. Having said that, you hear people talking about the draft concessions. At any stage, did you think of not trying 100% in order to get those concessions? Also, what do you see as the most vital things to achieve your goal of a Grand Final within the next 2-3 years? Will securing Matthew Richardson be your top priority or will it be bringing in young talent?

Regards,

Evan

Evan,

As I've said several times, there's no doubt that re-signing Matthew Richardson will be an important priority once the season is over. Players of his ability don't grow on trees and I know that we're a much better side when he's fit and firing, as he has been in recent weeks. We'll also be looking to add to our mix of quality young players -- particularly strong-bodied, skilful midfielders.

Regards,

Danny

Danny,

I'm extremely interested in how close all the players are to each other. I believe to be a really good team it is important for the boys to all mesh well together and play for each other rather than thinking like individuals. I admit individualism needs to be portrayed as well, but in the end the team is what it is all about. I get the impression that the boys don't seem to see much of each other on a social basis, as I heard recently on a radio interview that one of the players didn't know if another was married and simple things like that. I believe part of playing like a team is knowing the individuals in the team on a personal basis, as I think this really helps. How much emphasis at the Club is placed on team bonding and getting players out of the comfort of their own little groups and bonding well with the players they don't know as well.

Regards,

Chris Shaw

Chris,

I can assure you that our players are close to each other and get on very well on a social basis, as well as during the week at the Club. Several of them live together, including Joel Bowden and Aaron Fiora, Matthew Richardson and Ezra Poyas, Brad Ottens and Marc Dragicevic, Andy Krakouer and Marty McGrath and Mark Coughlan, Craig Ednie and Kayne Pettifer.

Regards,

Danny

Still hasn't got to my question. :rolleyes: :p

Spud said :While boosting the midfield will probably be our No. 1 recruiting priority for 2003, we'll also be on the lookout for a tall, versatile key-position player, who could be used effectively at either end of the ground.

Good to hear...if staff gets suspended, Richo and Holland have hamstring strains...we need the depth ...guys to step up in their place...no more standing Chaffey on Chris Grant or whoever...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back