Autopsy Spud - Shinboner

Remove this Banner Ad

Saintly35

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of my favourite players.

Tough as, limited in ability but a true Shinboner.

We have plenty of talent at North. Very excited about it.

If our young talent give near Spud's level of commitment, we will get back up on top in no time.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Underrated. Of all the guys who finished up, we will miss him the most. No immediate replacement.

Yet i keep hearing EVW will easily take the role?

Only guy we will miss is Boomer apparently.

Hmmm.

Limited ability but got 100% from what he had. Got in the face of the opposition, never shirked a contest and gave some much needed campaigner to the side. What he offered on the stats sheet will be easily covered but his mongrel will have to be taken up by someone who hasn't shown it yet.

Loved Firrito. Haven't really said thank you to him on BF previously so a great opportunity to do exactly that. Truly is a legend of the club and I reckon his legacy will be felt more and more as the years go by. In a different team he would have had his contract renewed. His form completely warranted it. His aggression and loyalty were priceless and he'd become the very epitome and standard by which we regard the Shinboner spirit.

You'll be missed Spud.

Love him. His 'renaissance' was one of the best things to come from the last few years.

But of all the players that have retired he is the easiest to replace imo or, rather, the role that he played is easiest to replace. He was solid, but his role wasn't one that was critical to how we played or our relative success over the last 3 seasons.

A dependable ~15 possession medium/small defender is easier to find than an attacking half forward/mid who can average 20+ touches a game and kick 30 goals for the season or a key forward.

This should also be moved to past players thread, it's pointless talking any more about him.

That thread is already there.

This is also about playing more like Spud did in future, we've been far too soft in recent times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I loved about Spudley, particularly as he got older and slowed a yard or two, was his ability to work his way through traffic with a minimum of fuss. Not because he possessed some extraordinary powers of turn-on-a-dime evasion. It just came from an ability to assess the situation and then choose the right path, picked up through years of experience of playing footy at the top level. (Almost a little Rhys-Jones-like in that regard.) Shouldn't undersell the drive that his forward surges regularly provided us off Half Back. Particularly given what we saw from Shaun "Ever Diminishing Circles" Atley this year in that area.

And of course there were plenty of other things he brought to the team. Aside from what has already been mentioned, his ability to know when to peel off his player and go third man up in a contest was up there with the best in the league. In fact, up there with the best I've ever seen. He may be replaceable in one sense, but more subtle things like either of the aforementioned - stuff that we were more prone to take for granted while he was playing - will be immediately missed at least to some degree.

One thing I loved about Spudley, particularly as he got older and slowed a yard or two, was his ability to work his way through traffic with a minimum of fuss. Not because he possessed some extraordinary powers of turn-on-a-dime evasion. It just came from an ability to assess the situation and then choose the right path, picked up through years of experience of playing footy at the top level. (Almost a little Rhys-Jones-like in that regard.) Shouldn't undersell the drive that his forward surges regularly provided us off Half Back. Particularly given what we saw from Shaun "Ever Diminishing Circles" Atley this year in that area.

And of course there were plenty of other things he brought to the team. Aside from what has already been mentioned, his ability to know when to peel off his player and go third man up in a contest was up there with the best in the league. In fact, up there with the best I've ever seen. He may be replaceable in one sense, but more subtle things like either of the aforementioned - stuff that we were more prone to take for granted while he was playing - will be immediately missed at least to some degree.

I think your summary of why north will miss spud hits the mark. Every young tall wants to be a target in the forward line, and everybody else would see themselves as a flashy mid or onballer who doesn't have to be accountable due to their ability as a finisher.

The tough, stingy defender who will cover for his team mate while taking on a top ranked opponent week after week is not high on the list of many young recruits. The experience of spud and his tenacity will be harder to replace in my opinion than any of the other three, or four...

Phillyroo's going all out with his disguise for this preseason.

As for Spud, he'll be sorely missed both on field and around the club. Hopefully our younger tyros will have taken plenty from playing and training alongside him over the years. His presence helped the kids walk a little taller knowing he had their backs.

I would like to see Luke take up the mongrel mantle.

With the addition of the numero 11 to his jumper I suspect he'll turn into the human cannonball. Hopefully he can stay injury free as I reckon he'll be inspired by his new responsibility to the number like no other.

With the addition of the numero 11 to his jumper I suspect he'll turn into the human cannonball. Hopefully he can stay injury free as I reckon he'll be inspired by his new responsibility to the number like no other.

Yep, Luke was the obvious choice and I'm glad we went that way.

Hopefully a few others also step up and fill the void.

Think we get pushed around too easily at times, when we have brought the right attitude we usually play better footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back