Spurr

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure he's not fast but he reads the play well enough to regularly intercept and hold marks. His kicking was always up and under but suited going long down the line when that used to work. The games changed and someone else should be distributing it. Lets face it its not gonna be Dawson. MJ looks cooked and Sutcliffes confidence is completely shot.
I agree with Pap J about asking for too much from Spurr.

Play him forward. Balla's spot hasn't successfully been filled yet and we have too many poorly skilled, slowish defenders. He's no longer suited and/or the best option down there during the rebuild. The guy's got a great set of hands and a good shot on goal, and you just know that he'll try his guts out to win the ball back if we're not in possession.

I mean, we can't drop everybody
This is an absolute classic reply. The issue is Freo are now carrying about a third of a team who are quite clearly redundant. Danyle Pearce getting a game every single weekend was questionable in 2015 but when Bradley Hill came in it should have been the death knell. It's not that hard to stagger retirement so you don't end up in the situation where you have to retire seven of the 22 in 12 months. Hawthorn did it well. If it was up to us we'd still have Brian Lake running around.

Spurr shouldn't be dropped because of bad performances. He still plays okay. Guys like Suban and Pearce should have been pissed off with DeBoer for their chronic underperformance despite how often they were allowed to try and atone. Dawson was never very good (though not as bad as mouthbreathers on Bigfooty would say) so should have been replaced years ago. Then there are guys like Johnson who are starting to really lose it week by week and who should be transitioned out due to their age. Spurr is sort of in that second category but as there are more pressing concerns (pissing off those plainly s**t players, regardless of age) he'll get a free ride.

It's a flow-on effect.

People say how Ross Lyon is loyal, and it's all very well for guys who are the first picked every week to say that, but he is very loyal to a select group.

In other words, Ross Lyon isn't loyal – he plays favourites.

He'll defend and get Suban into his team not because he's a great bloke but because he performs a role. It's very easy to say you want to reward and help out loyal servants but there comes a point when you don't play the guys who will one day become loyal servants. He has his little favourites and they will always be looked after but if you're a kid just drafted you're seriously going to struggle to ever be in that group.

This is an absolute classic reply. The issue is Freo are now carrying about a third of a team who are quite clearly redundant. Danyle Pearce getting a game every single weekend was questionable in 2015 but when Bradley Hill came in it should have been the death knell. It's not that hard to stagger retirement so you don't end up in the situation where you have to retire seven of the 22 in 12 months. Hawthorn did it well. If it was up to us we'd still have Brian Lake running around.

Spurr shouldn't be dropped because of bad performances. He still plays okay. Guys like Suban and Pearce should have been pissed off with DeBoer for their chronic underperformance despite how often they were allowed to try and atone. Dawson was never very good (though not as bad as mouthbreathers on Bigfooty would say) so should have been replaced years ago. Then there are guys like Johnson who are starting to really lose it week by week and who should be transitioned out due to their age. Spurr is sort of in that second category but as there are more pressing concerns (pissing off those plainly s**t players, regardless of age) he'll get a free ride.

It's a flow-on effect.

People say how Ross Lyon is loyal, and it's all very well for guys who are the first picked every week to say that, but he is very loyal to a select group.

He'll defend and get Suban into his team not because he's a great bloke but because he performs a role. It's very easy to say you want to reward and help out loyal servants but there comes a point when you don't play the guys who will one day become loyal servants. He has his little favourites and they will always be looked after but if you're a kid just drafted you're seriously going to struggle to ever be in that group.
I actually think ibbo is the one that start the flow for port to slaughter freo instead of spurr.

Play him forward. Balla's spot hasn't successfully been filled yet and we have too many poorly skilled, slowish defenders. He's no longer suited and/or the best option down there during the rebuild. The guy's got a great set of hands and a good shot on goal, and you just know that he'll try his guts out to win the ball back if we're not in possession.

Worth a try I reckon for a marking option. His pre-fremante history as a player was as a utility.

Might be a good idea, but we need somebody to cover for him in his absence. He is a good intercept mark (reads the play well and all that) and if Ibbo gets dropped, we won't have many of them left. Luke Ryan could do the job if he's ready, but until then I'll prefer Spurr stays in defense.

And lets be honest. You just want to see him have a classic Spurr goal celebration ;).

I like Spurr and have only Spurr, Mundy, and Sandy as my over 27s to play in our first 22 wishlist. I see the calls on other threads to replace him with grey by some but from what I've seen Grey is: (i) a rookie listed player, (ii) also can be a suspect kick, and for the moment, I would take Spurr anyday over Grey in the back line as a lock down defender on small forwards. Grey was a late pick in the draft from Tassie that was re-rookied after not showing enough. Spurr was the most valuable player in the SANFL and nearly won the SANFL GF off his own boot before he was picked up by Freo as a mature age and has hardly missed a game since coming off most games with blood or a black eye and no complaints. I think Ryan is the more exciting prospect for similar reasons to Spurr when he fully gets over his injury.

Last edited:
Wears it for the team always gets hit hard props for that , he's in our 22 until someone does what he does better

Yes.

Find those posts and then you too can revel in the feeling that is being proved right when have said your team is full of poorly-skilled footballers.

It's a great feeling.

Did you really need to bump this thread to reply to a banned poster?

Spurry has been a great warrior for us but hopefully we've phased him out by the end of the year; Luke Ryan looks the goods for his spot. Still a very good 1-on-1 defender and intercept mark but the total lack of pace and the dodgy kicking is a combination just not compatible with modern footy. That said, there should be others in the backline ahead of him on the chopping block.

Might be a good idea, but we need somebody to cover for him in his absence. He is a good intercept mark (reads the play well and all that) and if Ibbo gets dropped, we won't have many of them left. Luke Ryan could do the job if he's ready, but until then I'll prefer Spurr stays in defense.

And lets be honest. You just want to see him have a classic Spurr goal celebration ;).

Of course I do!

I'd play Tucker in his place in defence until Ryan or Nyhuis is ready.

This is actually not a bad idea. Spurr nearly won Central Districts a GF in SA by playing as a small forward in the last quarter of a SANFL Gf before he was drafted to us. Let's face it, anything is worth a shot at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the few things I liked from our last game was in the first quarter I think (might have been second?). Spurr had it on the half back flank and you could see him looking for outlet options all over the place, and then he just goes "f*** it" and runs the ball himself. It was actually pretty good ball movement and from memory it ended up with Brad Hill who then fluffed the kick - which was annoying because for once we had pretty good spread. But geez I liked seeing Spurr having a run. Can't question this guy's effort and his stats so far this season back that up.

It's a flow-on effect.

Couldn't agree more.
Ross needs to gain the loyalty of his "future servants" - get them playing for us now, make them feel part of the new group moving forward, get 15 - 20 games into as many of them as you can this year and will reap the benefits not too far down the track.
As much as Sherriden, Crozier etc.... have been disappointing - give them a chance in positions suited to their strengths.
A few of things may happen - fail, delist and ..... off, improve retain and get what thought we could have potentially and lastly some improvement so at least they have currency next years trade period.
Load up the unknown and underperforming CVs of players either to be retained, assessed or flicked.
I think we will have a good idea this year if this done who will be loyal, suitable and has more potential - if you want to stay, give the young fellas a reason to stay- Ross needs to show how his future style will play out and how he can lead all, no favourite role players!

He's still a courageous intercept player. He's not a great kick but considering the shambles in the backline currently, he still has a role to play back there for a year or two yet whilst we move along Johnson and Dawson in the short term (hopefully)

It's a flow-on effect.

Was thinking the exact thing today. Ross is too afraid to drop players he likes, or is attached to. Instead of just doing his job.

Couldn't agree more.
Ross needs to gain the loyalty of his "future servants" - get them playing for us now, make them feel part of the new group moving forward, get 15 - 20 games into as many of them as you can this year and will reap the benefits not too far down the track.
As much as Sherriden, Crozier etc.... have been disappointing - give them a chance in positions suited to their strengths.
A few of things may happen - fail, delist and ..... off, improve retain and get what thought we could have potentially and lastly some improvement so at least they have currency next years trade period.
Load up the unknown and underperforming CVs of players either to be retained, assessed or flicked.
I think we will have a good idea this year if this done who will be loyal, suitable and has more potential - if you want to stay, give the young fellas a reason to stay- Ross needs to show how his future style will play out and how he can lead all, no favourite role players!
Yep. Spend this season going through underused or new players and give them 10-15 games and assess what their go is. No time for pissing about. If they look good obviously keep playing them and keep them contracted. If they stagnate or clearly look lost, then that's it. It is not that hard. The brigade of Spurr to Suban to Pearce should be axed immediately.

Probably the last one i'd axe out of the backline after Dawson, Johnson, Ibbo, Sutcliffe et al and the associated midfield brigade.

I do think there is a genuine case for having a bit of organisation and leadership down there, especially if we are playing a lot of kids in the back-line. Old pointahontas is a bit past it and I think Spurr is a better reader of the play and decision maker than Ibbo.

Probably the last one i'd axe out of the backline after Dawson, Johnson, Ibbo, Sutcliffe et al and the associated midfield brigade.

I do think there is a genuine case for having a bit of organisation and leadership down there, especially if we are playing a lot of kids in the back-line. Old pointahontas is a bit past it and I think Spurr is a better reader of the play and decision maker than Ibbo.
The issue is we are now at a stage where we have to axe about five guys all at once, and a vast majority of them are in the backline. Spurr shouldn't be the first one against the wall but by the end of 2017 he should be gone – playing him in a rebuild for too much longer is ludicrous.

This has long been Freo's issue. It'll happen when Sandilands retires (which should be sooner rather than later, just quietly), Griffin has to, and Clarke is delisted. We'll be relying on two young kids, one of which is better as a forward, with 0 and about 6 games to their name.

McCarthy would blossom with two or three years with some good tutelage. Unfortunately it didn't align with Pavlich but we still should have had a forward at 25-odd guiding him into the game. Or at the least taking some defensive heat away from him.

The arrogance in not playing youngsters and some really really bad drafting has made this situation ugly. We'll now be in a spot where the 22 in 2018 will be a bunch of kids where only a few have more than 50 games. We should have blooded youngsters in the past few seasons and persisted with them. The Hawks and Swans bring in these young guys and slowly phase out the older blokes... you should do it three or so players at a time, throughout a season, every season, rather than just replacing 60% of the list all at once.

That's also why I think we should play Mundy as a backman. He's a good in between size and he's played a lot of football there. He really reads packs wells, breaks away, and can kick the ball well. It's not that hard, it's simple. He's also still a valuable player and it might even get some more mileage out of him. You take MJ, Spurr, Ibbo out and play some younger guys in their spots while Dawson can be replaced by Collins and later Alex Pearce. Hamling can keep playing (hating him after three games is lunacy – I doubt he'll turn into a really good player but the bloke has come into a new club and into a shitful backline).

Taking Mundy out of the midfield also helps Neale become the leader he will be soon, and allows guys like Weller, Langdon, Blakely and the newer guys to have much more time in the roving roles. That'll help prepare for a possible Fyfe-less life afterward too.

I like the idea a lot.

I mean I came up with it but yeah you know.

That's also why I think we should play Mundy as a backman. He's a good in between size and he's played a lot of football there. He really reads packs wells, breaks away, and can kick the ball well. It's not that hard, it's simple. He's also still a valuable player and it might even get some more mileage out of him. You take MJ, Spurr, Ibbo out and play some younger guys in their spots while Dawson can be replaced by Collins and later Alex Pearce. Hamling can keep playing (hating him after three games is lunacy – I doubt he'll turn into a really good player but the bloke has come into a new club and into a shitful backline).

Taking Mundy out of the midfield also helps Neale become the leader he will be soon, and allows guys like Weller, Langdon, Blakely and the newer guys to have much more time in the roving roles. That'll help prepare for a possible Fyfe-less life afterward too.

I like the idea a lot.

Is not wrong , but spurr is contract until 2018 , so is D.pearce , I don't think freo had enough money to paid them out .

The issue is we are now at a stage where we have to axe about five guys all at once, and a vast majority of them are in the backline. Spurr shouldn't be the first one against the wall but by the end of 2017 he should be gone – playing him in a rebuild for too much longer is ludicrous.

This has long been Freo's issue. It'll happen when Sandilands retires (which should be sooner rather than later, just quietly), Griffin has to, and Clarke is delisted. We'll be relying on two young kids, one of which is better as a forward, with 0 and about 6 games to their name.

McCarthy would blossom with two or three years with some good tutelage. Unfortunately it didn't align with Pavlich but we still should have had a forward at 25-odd guiding him into the game. Or at the least taking some defensive heat away from him.

The arrogance in not playing youngsters and some really really bad drafting has made this situation ugly. We'll now be in a spot where the 22 in 2018 will be a bunch of kids where only a few have more than 50 games. We should have blooded youngsters in the past few seasons and persisted with them. The Hawks and Swans bring in these young guys and slowly phase out the older blokes... you should do it three or so players at a time, throughout a season, every season, rather than just replacing 60% of the list all at once.

Yeah I hear you with respect to playing more youngsters earlier, but at the same time I wonder if you're not contradicting yourself a bit there. If we are axing 4 players at once from the back-line then who is there to provide that tutelage? It sure as * shouldn't be Dawson, Johnno or Ibbo based on recent performances.

If we go straight in next week with a back-line of, say, Collins, Hamling, Hughes, Weller, Crozier and Ryan then who is there who can provide a bit of leadership and help with structure? Mundy is a reasonable call but it's not a novel idea, we tried it a decent amount last year and while it worked reasonably well, he is also slow as * and not really the same type of player as Spurr.

I tend to see Suban, D.Pearce, Dawson, Sutcliffe, Ibbo and Johnson as ones to go before Spurr, and once we've brought up ~6 players from Peel there's really not much else there at this stage. I think Spurr should be starting to be phased out by mid-next year but this year I reckon he's still quite useful.

I like the idea a lot.

Mundy can roll into the McPhee position that we lacked 2013, I was a critic of him but he did give us size when across half when rotated there.
Don't forget Mundy started st half back and was more than serviceable. He is an elite kick (most of the time), tall and big bodied - and creates space with his movement and smarts- good overhead as well. He could break the lines across half back by kicking long to an open forward line as he that penetrating with his disposal. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
Blakey to get a decent run in the guts and get a chop out from Weller and or Langdon to inject some pace.
Yeew......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back