Spurs will win something this season. All aboard the Angewagon.

Remove this Banner Ad

We don’t have the group with the right mentality to win the title, nor the manager, would be a miracle to win the league title.
I quoted about the CL spots being locked. I can't see United winning the title but they are a chance at getting into the top 4

I'm wondering if it is a case of Mourinho having that 'magic' back about him, as you say. Or whether it's just that the Tottenham players are more receptive to it?

Tottenham have been the runner up and the under dog for so long that I think it's as simple as their players recognising that Mourinho is a winner and that if they follow him, he might be able to break that cycle of disappointment. I feel like at a "smaller" club Jose is really benefiting from not having to manage the massive ego's that he's had to content with at the likes of United, Chelsea & Madrid in recent years.
I think it's a combination of both. Jose definitely looks more refreshed and motivated than he did in the final months at United. He's got that swagger back, indicated by the Mourinho-isms that are becoming more and more prevalent when speaking to the press. The stuff about being a pony and his quote when asked about possession after the City game. It looks like he took the accusations of being 'finished' personally and he's determined to prove people wrong. Mourinho has always thrived when he's been in that mindset.

And then you have a set of players that have completely bought into everything that Mourinho's asking them to do. You even look at Dele and Bale, both who haven't played much in the league and, in Dele's case, has regularly been out of the squad. In the Europa League games, they're still working really hard despite not being in the 'first 11,' and Bale's often joking and laughing on the sidelines, even when he doesn't get on.

I think Football365 described it best a week or so ago. At Tottenham, Mourinho's got a squad, and particularly a front 2, who are perfectly suited to how he sets up the team, but they're also a team absent of the egos you often see at this level and that's still got that no trophies monkey on the back, which makes them willing to do all the dirty work for a manager who they can see getting them over that hump.

Mostly Liverpool supporters who don't want to be classed as favourites or United supporters who don't want Liverpool winning it

Much depends on who we sign at CB in Jan. I doubt any team has ever won a title with both their first choice CBs out for 75% + of the season. Defence wins titles. One maybe but definitely not both and especially not if the remaining CB is made of glass.

Secure a quality CB early in Jan and we are right up there in the title race. Signi no one / rely on Phillips / Rhys Williams will leave us needing a miracle to win the title.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Spurs related, but on SkySports they were talking about set piece differentials for Champions in the last 10 years have been strong points.

Chelsea so far have turned it around a bit this season in that area compared to last.
Untitled.jpg

Spurs will be challenging till the end if they buy into Mou's game plan which so far they are doing. At Chelsea and Manu, Mou lost the players with his negative game style. I suppose having won nothing Spurs have sold their soul to the devil looking for that elusive trophy

Our defense since Sanchez has been dropped has 4 clean sheets in a row. Before that we had kept 2 in 12 months. Toby-Dier combination is much better suited to the low defensive line we are playing. Toby looked cooked whenever players ran in behind him so this suits him much more and he is almost looking back to his best from 3-4 years ago.

Big test will be how we adapt our tactics against the smaller sides who won't keep the ball for 60% of the game. Like WBA where we got very lucky. Can't afford to undo the hard work from getting 7 out of 9 in the past 3 and by dropping points against Palace this week. Will also be very interesting to see our counter attacking style against Liverpool's front 3 in a few weeks. And then Leicester who don't tend to dominate possession. Arsenal fell right into the trap just like Pep has in our last 2 games, sides won't be so stupid going forward.

Our defense since Sanchez has been dropped has 4 clean sheets in a row. Before that we had kept 2 in 12 months. Toby-Dier combination is much better suited to the low defensive line we are playing. Toby looked cooked whenever players ran in behind him so this suits him much more and he is almost looking back to his best from 3-4 years ago.

Big test will be how we adapt our tactics against the smaller sides who won't keep the ball for 60% of the game. Like WBA where we got very lucky. Can't afford to undo the hard work from getting 7 out of 9 in the past 3 and by dropping points against Palace this week. Will also be very interesting to see our counter attacking style against Liverpool's front 3 in a few weeks. And then Leicester who don't tend to dominate possession. Arsenal fell right into the trap just like Pep has in our last 2 games, sides won't be so stupid going forward.
It's gonna be an interesting game because you would think Klopp will be well aware of Spurs ability to counter and that's what they will look for against us so I'm sure Klopp will have some plan in mind to stop that. But we do hunt in packs and one good pass can sometimes undo the press and suddenly opposition teams are in 3 v 3 situations etc... in the past, it's gravy, VVD is back there, he sorts it. But not this season.

Also Klopp wont move too far away from what he knows works and what we do well. So we will attack and we will try to score goals and we've certainly got goals in us.

First things first though, we must beat Fulham!

Them too, but they did lead United 2-0 at HT.

Yeah guess I just mean that Spurs game was the most uncharacteristic game for them this season and a decent result there could have made things a lot more interesting at the top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back