SQAFA/BAFL – Brisbane’s Developing Football Competition – 1970 to 1999

Remove this Banner Ad

Toucan Soup

Team Captain
Mar 22, 2006
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I am interested in reading any memories, stories, or information people are willing to share about the SQAFA and BAFL competitions in Brisbane at the end of the previous century.

For those not familiar, the SQAFA (South Queensland Australian Football Association – 1970 to 1991) and the BAFL (Brisbane Australian Football League – 1992 to 1999) were separate competitions underpinning the established QAFL. Nearly 50 clubs, at varying levels of development, contributed to the evolution of football in South-East Queensland.

I reckon there is potential for a history of the SQAFA/BAFL era to be written. And so, this post is to reach out to the BigFooty audience, and invite anyone who had a connection with the competitions to share their recollections here. Or alternatively, please feel free to contact me directly, if you prefer.

I ought to do the right thing to keep this thread alive (even if it means starting a conversation with myself 😊 ).

Any information anyone can provide regarding the clubs and people who competed in the SQAFA or BAFL competitions will be greatly appreciated.

I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to help write a “South Queensland” chapter with the authors of “More Of The Kangaroo”. Copies of this 1,100-page book are still available at www.q150.net.au/shop (or contact me directly if you would like to haggle).

I grew up through the SQAFA years, acquiring a great respect for the many salient clubs of the competition, eg, Sherwood, Mt Gravatt, Aspley, Maroochydore, Redland, Yeronga, University of Qld, Springwood, Wynnum, etc, etc. The SQAFA was a breeding ground for developing clubs, many of which went on to be highly influential in the development of grassroots football within Brisbane.

I have plenty of facts and figures providing an outline of the history – but what I am hoping to find amongst the BigFooty audience is the colour that can give the story life. Memories, anecdotes, personalities, photos, articles – they are all of interest. Match results are welcome too.

Hopefully this thread will pique someone’s attention.

MOTK Cover Small.jpg

It’s been a little while between posts – we copped some flood action, so things got put on hold temporarily.

Anyway, to continue with SQAFA-related items, let’s look at some of the longest affiliated clubs with the competition. Looking at the period of 1970 to 2004, covering the era of SQAFA, BAFL, and AFLSQ, the following clubs were part of the competition for the number of seasons shown:

35 - University of Queensland, Yeronga (South Brisbane)
34 - Wynnum
32 - Ipswich Eagles (RAAF)
31 - Aspley, Moorooka
30 - Redcliffe
28 - Logan City (Beenleigh)*, Strathpine, Redland (Victoria Point)
27 - Springwood
26 - Ipswich Cats
24 - Banyo*, Mt Gravatt
23 - Alexandra Hills (Capalaba)
20 - Everton (Stafford)*
17 - Ashgrove (Oakleigh)*, Centenary (Jindalee)
16 - Acacia Ridge*, Inala*

Former names of clubs are shown in the brackets. The asterisk * indicates that the club no longer exists.

Have you had an involvement with any of these clubs? Are there any memories or information you can share?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back