Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Carey First Class Record:

36 Matches
Batting Average: 33.8

🤦‍♂️

BuT He HiThs BiG ThiXeS In ThA Big BaStH

Last edited:
Assuming Philippe and Wade are the keeping options in NZ

I could understand getting a part timer (like Wade and Philippe) to do the role if there was no other standout option.

But surely Inglis is the option they could go with - given he can actually keep wickets and isn't a crab with the bat.

The T20 squad has very few middle order batsmen in it - and we have created the issue in the past of trying to shoehorn 6 openers into the middle order - it doesn't work. With Inglis

Marsh and Maxwell have to play - and with Inglis moving to 4 - he provides another option in the middle order when there is a lack of options

Still don't know what's so special about Daniel Sams. Average trundler and a slogger. Could have easily gone for someone like Larkin and Hatzaglou

A lower order slogger is what we have missed though.

I wouldn't be opposed to him batting 7 and only being relied upon for a couple of overs. For mine I'd choose between him and Agar depending on the wicket.

A bit like cutting, he's more known with the ball - but in T20 - he's more effective with the bat.

do we even know our best T20 XI? Even if we do, our XI has no cohesion to play like a team.

Before we worry about a team - do we have clear defined roles within the team for both bat and ball?

It appears in the past we have just chosen the best run makers based on BBL - when that means we have no capable middle order bats.

Rather than just an X1 - we need to ensure we have appropriate new ball bowlers, death bowlers, late order hitters, top order hitters, an accumulator etc.

The days of picking Wade/Lynn/Short et al because they bash early should be shelved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh? The bloke is a trier but he’s only ever going to average 30. A waste of time at his age
But he’s picked for 4 tests including the last, so in a week goes from best XI to out of best 19. Harsh especially as the replacements aren’t exactly better players

Assuming all available players - ie selecting for a T20 world cup - what does our side look like

Finch
Warner
Smith
Maxwell
Marsh
Carey
Agar/Pace bowling allrounder
Richardson J
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
Wade’s been getting picked ahead of Carey in the last couple of T20 series so I imagine he’ll get a run at it unless his form drops away. He’s got a fair claim to being a top two opener in the country at the moment.

But he’s picked for 4 tests including the last, so in a week goes from best XI to out of best 19. Harsh especially as the replacements aren’t exactly better players

They can’t be any worse and are much younger

Bit harsh on Wade, played last three tests one as opener and fails to make squad of 19 yet Head who got dropped for last three makes it!
There's a 7 year difference between the two. Wade's papers have rughtfully been stamped. I'm surprised Head still made it, there's no point dropping him and then not let him play in the Shield to work on his technique. It's like when the Crows finally dropped Mackay a few years ago but there was no SANFL that weekend. He returned the very next match.

Carey was probably our best bat at the World Cup in England and very good in the ODI series in Eng recently. Not test cricket but proven can bat very well at international level.

Looks class, good technique and you know he won’t throw his wicket away like Wade and Head who get out in the most horrendous ways .

I never want to see any Victorians whinge about national selection ever again after the T20 side announcement.

How the * do the Gades and Stars get 5 representatives between them and the Canes who also missed the finals get 4 representatives whilst the Heat and Strikers who finish in the finals get 0 between them?

Half the 18 man squad is filled by underperforming teams who missed the finals. What the * does Chris Lynn have to do to get another gig despite finishing 3rd for leading runs and having an average of 42? Fancy naming ******* Ashton Turner over him after he made Labuschagne look like Rashid Khan and has been the weak link in the Scorchers batting line up.

Also how the * does Jack Wildermuth not make any of those sides? Criminal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back