Strength Squatting during season

Remove this Banner Ad

well mcuzzy's mate is struggling and if he has a 'leg' day, I'm assuming he has another couple of lifting days 'focusing' on other body parts. that's not strength and conditioning for the demands of his activity. rather, it sounds like an uninformed gym goer ripping a program off bodybuilding.com.

if he lifts 3 days with volume, plus footy training, plus games, then he's doing too much. a strength drop is going to occur because he's putting a lot of work through his system. to perform well, whether it's in the gym or on the field, he needs to recover. 2 weights sessions per week max, lifting low reps and sub-maximally most of the time is what he needs to perform well and maintain strength levels. ammos and gen pop need to shift from the philosophy that 3-4 day body split programs, lifting volume to fatigue, and needing the DOMS is the to way progress. all good if your pumped with the juice, but mere mortals need to focus more on recovery with sleep and nutrition. there has been this militarisation of 'fitness' which is completely out of hand now. it's not sustainable.
Aren't you just going too far the other way though? You can't really complain about uninformed while suggesting a universal approach for all local footy players (although MPT/vision work off this theory)

When taking footy seriously I was fitting morning training sessions in on training days and playing Saturday/having Sunday off. A few others here did it, think SAJ was one. Our best mids, best forward and two of our best defenders train how you say they 'shouldn't', it mustn't be too bad since we are sitting 4th.

Of course sleep and nutrition is key, but that's not really what we are discussing.

We've got a bloke at the club who has actually gone the opposite. Tradie, naturally big legs, only works upper body at gym, neglects legs, has torn a hammy twice this season because he does no strength, flexibility or conditioning on his legs

well mcuzzy's mate is struggling and if he has a 'leg' day, I'm assuming he has another couple of lifting days 'focusing' on other body parts. that's not strength and conditioning for the demands of his activity. rather, it sounds like an uninformed gym goer ripping a program off bodybuilding.com.

if he lifts 3 days with volume, plus footy training, plus games, then he's doing too much. a strength drop is going to occur because he's putting a lot of work through his system. to perform well, whether it's in the gym or on the field, he needs to recover. 2 weights sessions per week max, lifting low reps and sub-maximally most of the time is what he needs to perform well and maintain strength levels. ammos and gen pop need to shift from the philosophy that 3-4 day body split programs, lifting volume to fatigue, and needing the DOMS is the to way progress. all good if your pumped with the juice, but mere mortals need to focus more on recovery with sleep and nutrition. there has been this militarisation of 'fitness' which is completely out of hand now. it's not sustainable.

You're making a fairly big assumption that footy is his #1 priority.
Also, fwiw my squat volume last week was ~3500kg, then at least double that on accessories. I also use a Westside template so that volume includes a squat or deadlift 1rm every week.
This is on top of playing footy on the weekend, working 5:30am - 7:30am, going to uni, coming home and working until 9:00pm or going to footy training which is a 40 minute drive away.
The vast majority of people are going to mentally bitch out before their body legitimately craps it.

Last edited:

Aren't you just going too far the other way though? You can't really complain about uninformed while suggesting a universal approach for all local footy players (although MPT/vision work off this theory)

When taking footy seriously I was fitting morning training sessions in on training days and playing Saturday/having Sunday off. A few others here did it, think SAJ was one. Our best mids, best forward and two of our best defenders train how you say they 'shouldn't', it mustn't be too bad since we are sitting 4th.

Of course sleep and nutrition is key, but that's not really what we are discussing.

Its all about were your focus is. Last year i trained at the gym after work, our footy side sucked we only won 2 games for the year and i only trained Thursdays and played reserves. My focus was on gym and getting stronger, i wanted to bench 140kg so i focused on that i blew up to 95kg because i was lazy with diet, but come end of season i benched 140kg but couldn't run as well as previous years.

Fast forward to this season, we've dropped down a division both seniors and reserves are in the 4 and will make finals, plus im playing seniors so now my focus is footy. I've switched my gym to morning sessions, 35-40 mins volume is less, strength has decreased but i'm 88-89kg and running a lot easier.

....and agree mcgarnacle's post is to presumptuous the other way

what do you mean by too far the other way? I advocate lifting. just not volume, islolation and doms which impacts recovery and running, and increases the potential of injury on the next 10-20m sprint, turn or landing. this really should be the #1 priority of any training program.

what do you mean by too far the other way? I advocate lifting. just not volume, islolation and doms which impacts recovery and running, and increases the potential of injury on the next 10-20m sprint, turn or landing. this really should be the #1 priority of any training program.
I meant you are being just as 'pushy' (for lack of a better word) with what you advocate.

If you're just advocating recovery, that's fine, I advocate that too, but plenty can do body part splits and recover fine for training/games etc. hard rules should not be applied to all footy players. It's individual.

it's been said that it depends where the focus is but i'd say it depends where you've come from re: ang still doing WS template in-season but us here are pretty dedicated i'd say to controlling outside stressors, nutrition, sleep etc where everyone else isnlt and that when they combining footy with off-season-type vol/intensity training doesn't mix

I actually did the smolov jr cycle in-season some years ago...a bee's dick from breaking me in the end

it's been said that it depends where the focus is but i'd say it depends where you've come from re: ang still doing WS template in-season but us here are pretty dedicated i'd say to controlling outside stressors, nutrition, sleep etc where everyone else isnlt and that when they combining footy with off-season-type vol/intensity training doesn't mix

I actually did the smolov jr cycle in-season some years ago...a bee's dick from breaking me in the end

personally, i subscribe to the philosophy of being as good as you can be with the least amount of training stimulus required. that's not to say use that as an excuse to take it easy or train infrequently either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back