Strength Squatting during season

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a question about squatting. After realising I was bending too far forward I've made an effort to squat more upright, but I'm having problems with balance (in that I feel like I'm going to fall backwards sometimes).

Is that an indicator of some sort of weak stabilizing muscles or am I just an unco spaz?

lower the weight and concentrate on form.

Yep already doing that, I've dropped right back to try relearn my technique. Last leg day I was practicing form with only 30kgs on the bar.

I try go lower than parallel, that's another technique thing I'm trying to reprogram - to go as low as possible.

Also try front squats - Excellent exercise to focus on squatting form.

That's an interesting idea, I've never done front squats in my life.

Now I think about it I can see how they would straighten you up. I'll give it a go, cheers.

Got a question about squatting. After realising I was bending too far forward I've made an effort to squat more upright, but I'm having problems with balance (in that I feel like I'm going to fall backwards sometimes).

Is that an indicator of some sort of weak stabilizing muscles or am I just an unco spaz?

Might be that you're hips are moving up before your upper body.

Try and focus the push through your heels rather than your foot as a whole - such as including toes. Make sure you're not looking down and your head is looking forward. And maybe try placing your legs slightly wider.

Another thing - if possible take a video recording of your movement. Sometimes it's hard to see while your doing it, but watching the video you can see your mistakes.

Might be that you're hips are moving up before your upper body.

Try and focus the push through your heels rather than your foot as a whole - such as including toes. Make sure you're not looking down and your head is looking forward. And maybe try placing your legs slightly wider.

Another thing - if possible take a video recording of your movement. Sometimes it's hard to see while your doing it, but watching the video you can see your mistakes.

I might be guilty of the hips moving first now I think about it.

Definitely planning on getting my brother to record me next squat day.

Did squats on Wednesday and was a little tight at training last night. Took off on a lead and twang minor quad strain. ArgH! I am an idiot.

Ok, so I checked the ego at the door at put 20kgs on the bar to try some front squats tonight.

I was able to keep the upper body nice and straight but only by adopting a really wide stance, otherwise I felt like I'd topple backwards again.

By really wide I mean my heels started wider than my shoulders with my feet pointed at almost 45 degrees and my knees following that line. I was able to get really deep like that, way deeper than back squats with my feet closer together.

Gunna try gradually bring my feet closer in if my balance improves but just wanted to check with the experts on here if there are any issues with going that wide once the weight increases?

try goblet squats, you can't really do them wrong

Just youtubed that, looks a strange little exercise. They look like they'd be hard on my knees though - up and down I'm fine but lateral movement like that can cause me trouble. Can't do lunges without pain either.

Actually the starting position looks similar to the open kneed wide stance I was squatting with today.

images

you can go as wide or as close as you need to but with a heavy in front it will make you sit back and stay vertical through the torso - a poor mans front squat so to speak

ans also try sitting DOWN and Back onto a bench

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, lower weight.

i personally think they're better than back squats. you can cheat on any exercise but i feel that it's easier to do with the back rather than front. just a slight lean forward with heavy weight on the bar and you're working the posterior chain more than intended without realising it. personally, I feel the back squat puts more stress on my lower back. it's probably form but whatever adjustments i make, it still has that effect.

less weight is initially handled with the front squat but if you can manage a full range of motion then I reckon the quads are getting a much better stimulation. it's virtually impossible to lean too far forward because you'll just topple forward with the weight.

they're also great for moving onto more advanced lifts like overhead squats, cleans and snatches. if you have a weak front squat, than you'll have less success of improving them.

I box squat a whole lot during the season...less eccentric loading = less doms

eccentric portion of any resistance training is important, but i feel mid season you can make some sacrifices for you overall performance

I've had my cousin and a couple of his U19 buddies use box squats in season to great effect
Ran 3 week waves of doubles ranging from 2-6 sets, and 60-90% of 1RM (also used a SSB every second wave)
All put 10-15kg on their 1RM over the course of the year

Though I'm sure things are different when you're young and only squat 2 wheels vs old and squatting 3 or 4

One or a combination of weak hamstrings, poor hip mobility, poor thoracic mobility or taking too narrow of a stance

One or a combination of weak hamstrings, poor hip mobility, poor thoracic mobility or taking too narrow of a stance

I think these two might apply to me, especially the hip mobility.

Things are already starting to improve since I started doing front squats instead - I've been able to set my stance a tiny bit closer together each leg day so far without feeling like I'm going to fall back.

Was talking to a mate about this and remembered the thread.

What's the ideal way to train legs during season? Mate of mine isn't used to doing so much running and is struggling with his usual leg day which is about 12 sets, 4 exercises, 8-15 reps. Losing gains is a big worry for him as his strength is slightly dropping.

What's the ideal way to train legs during season? Mate of mine isn't used to doing so much running and is struggling with his usual leg day which is about 12 sets, 4 exercises, 8-15 reps. Losing gains is a big worry for him as his strength is slightly dropping.

Dunno bout DemonTim but my squat & dead numbers are down ~10% since I went back to footy.
Given the volume going through the legs running is high I'd switch to lower reps at the gym and keep the sets the same but reduce the number of exercises they're split over.
As the old saying goes though; you can't be a slave of 2 masters

Don't ask me haha my clubs ****ed and a few of us aren't around anymore. I'm just focused on training for now and will figure out footy in preseason

Agree with Aeglos, your mate will have to prioritise but with all the extra running and recovery time a drop in strength is inevitable.

I think if he wants to maintain strength then lower reps will be the way to go.

sounds like he plays footy but trains like a bodybuilder. leg day? this has to stop

like saj says, in-season keep the reps low. actually most weeks of the year, keep the reps low unless he is in the first meso of pre-season and needs to bulk. no value in lifting volume for running athletes. focus on building intensity and lower volume. the ammo lifter and footballer just does way too much and doesn't focus on recovery.

at the NRL club I assist at we schedule like this - using a hypothetical 7-day break with sunday as game days
Sunday - game
Monday - recovery
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - (am) Lift 35-45 mins; (pm) field 45-60 mins
Thursday - (am) field 45-60 mins; (pm) Lift 35-45 mins
Friday - off
Saturday - captains lift 30 mins & captains run 30 mins
Sunday - game day

6 day break and one of those am & pm training days (thursday in this case) is off with captains lift and run moved to friday.
5 day break - such as Sunday game and then a Friday game next round which happens in the NRL, then the players don't even hit a proper weights session during the week. in this case Tuesday is light field session, wednesday completely off, captains lift and run on thurs, and game day friday. as you can see, less is more! and these guys don't have to deal with work and those sorts of stresses that raise cortisol like us mere mortals do.

and low reps doesn't mean the heaviest weight you can handle. focus on percentages. our players may have a 1RM deadlift of 250kg (as an example), but rarely will they lift that on 1 rep weeks unless we're testing. instead, we give them percentages in a modified wendler program for major lifts. Week 1 of a meso will be 3x5 reps starting them at 80% of 1RM, week 2 is 3x3 reps @84%, week 3 is 1x5@80%, 1x3@84%, 1x1@87% of 1RM, wk 4 is a deload 3x5 @70%. the next 4 week cycle, we'll increase the percentages by 1%. this is how you get strong. not by trying to lift heavy and burning yourself out every single session. it's a build to maintain and be strong by season's end after the hard work of pre season.

captains lift is basically a short weights session 3x3 reps of 4 exercises at about 80% (note: not squats) like cleans, bench, OH presses. no DOMS and a way to get in an short extra lifting session as some weeks with short turnarounds, there won't be any.

probably went off track there.....it annoys me how ammo athletes continue to think like slow bodybuilders

Last edited:
sounds like he plays footy but trains like a bodybuilder. leg day? this has to stop

like saj says, in-season keep the reps low. actually most weeks of the year, keep the reps low unless he is in the first meso of pre-season and needs to bulk. no value in lifting volume for running athletes. focus on building intensity and lower volume. the ammo lifter and footballer just does way too much and doesn't focus on recovery.

at the NRL club I assist at we schedule like this - using a hypothetical 7-day break with sunday as game days
Sunday - game
Monday - recovery
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - (am) Lift 35-45 mins; (pm) field 45-60 mins
Thursday - (am) field 45-60 mins; (pm) Lift 35-45 mins
Friday - off
Saturday - captains lift 30 mins & captains run 30 mins
Sunday - game day

6 day break and one of those am & pm training days (thursday in this case) is off with captains lift and run moved to friday.
5 day break - such as Sunday game and then a Friday game next round which happens in the NRL, then the players don't even hit a proper weights session during the week. in this case Tuesday is light field session, wednesday completely off, captains lift and run on thurs, and game day friday. as you can see, less is more! and these guys don't have to deal with work and those sorts of stresses that raise cortisol like us mere mortals do.

and low reps doesn't mean the heaviest weight you can handle. focus on percentages. our players may have a 1RM deadlift of 250kg (as an example), but rarely will they lift that on 1 rep weeks unless we're testing. instead, we give them percentages in a modified wendler program for major lifts. Week 1 of a meso will be 3x5 reps starting them at 80% of 1RM, week 2 is 3x3 reps @84%, week 3 is 1x5@80%, 1x3@84%, 1x1@87% of 1RM, wk 4 is a deload 3x5 @70%. the next 4 week cycle, we'll increase the percentages by 1%. this is how you get strong. not by trying to lift heavy and burning yourself out every single session. it's a build to maintain and be strong by season's end after the hard work of pre season.

captains lift is basically a short weights session 3x3 reps of 4 exercises at about 80% (note: not squats) like cleans, bench, OH presses. no DOMS and a way to get in an short extra lifting session as some weeks with short turnarounds, there won't be any.

probably went off track there.....it annoys me how ammo athletes continue to think like slow bodybuilders
Really would depend on how serious and what grade footy. If it's just local and to play with mates etc then really you can do both (most blokes do).

Our best small forward trains like a body builder and has played well all year. If he wants to prioritise being a footy player then definitely don't, but if he wants both, he can quite easily do it.

well mcuzzy's mate is struggling and if he has a 'leg' day, I'm assuming he has another couple of lifting days 'focusing' on other body parts. that's not strength and conditioning for the demands of his activity. rather, it sounds like an uninformed gym goer ripping a program off bodybuilding.com.

if he lifts 3 days with volume, plus footy training, plus games, then he's doing too much. a strength drop is going to occur because he's putting a lot of work through his system. to perform well, whether it's in the gym or on the field, he needs to recover. 2 weights sessions per week max, lifting low reps and sub-maximally most of the time is what he needs to perform well and maintain strength levels. ammos and gen pop need to shift from the philosophy that 3-4 day body split programs, lifting volume to fatigue, and needing the DOMS is the to way progress. all good if your pumped with the juice, but mere mortals need to focus more on recovery with sleep and nutrition. there has been this militarisation of 'fitness' which is completely out of hand now. it's not sustainable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back