Certified Legendary Thread Squiggle 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Final Siren might be able to correct me,but I think it's because the model used causes a lot of inflation (I.e you could perform as expected all year and go up). So it's a lot easier to rise than it is to fall.
That's all correct, except for the "you could perform as expected" part. In that case you would actually still stay in the same place. The inflation comes from the way the model rewards teams more for overperforming than it punishes them from underperforming.

Essentially Flagpole doesn't care about a bad loss or two, but it does pay a lot of attention to where a team's ceiling seems to be. This is especially the case later in the year, where the inflation build-up means that thumping another good team is very rewarding.

NMFC15.jpg WCFC17.jpg

NMFC15 vs WCE17

West Coast truly are becoming the new North. The squiggle had both teams pegged pretty well it seems as they both hovered around expectation. North had a late season lift and got themselves to a prelim which I'm not confident West Coast can manage at this stage but of greater concern is the plummeting fortunes of North since 2015.

I wonder if there is any correlation between the squiggle "figuring out" a side and an imminent decline? ie if you can no longer outperform the squiggles predictions is it indicative that a side has peaked?

I wonder if there is any correlation between the squiggle "figuring out" a side and an imminent decline? ie if you can no longer outperform the squiggles predictions is it indicative that a side has peaked?
I like the way you're thinking, but nope:

3y3ZqFZ.png

Perhaps I should rephrase...If you are nowhere near the premiership zone and the squiggle "figures you out" is your demise imminent :straining:
Final Siren didnt you base your ''Freo are gone'' on something the Squiggle noticed? ie margins if I recall

Perhaps I should rephrase...If you are nowhere near the premiership zone and the squiggle "figures you out" is your demise imminent :straining:
Hmm. Well, true, it's not great to be going nowhere while you're not contending. It's not very common, either... but Sydney 2009 did it, then improved over the next few years until they won a flag. Geelong 2014 didn't move a whole lot, either, and they're going okay now.

In those cases, it seems more like they were doing the kind of ideal rebuild where they don't fall very far. Whereas most teams would fall further and then try to reclimb the mountain.

If it's not that, then there could be something in the idea that it's a sign of a team hitting its ceiling. But you're a little harsh on North 2015, I reckon, as they did start to click late in the year.

Final Siren didnt you base your ''Freo are gone'' on something the Squiggle noticed? ie margins if I recall
Tons of close wins, yeah. Close wins against bad teams.

Their fall in 2016 was still remarkable, dropping from minor premier to 16th, but on fundamentals they were halfway there by the end of 2015.

The Swans still aren't in the top four, and they're still a good chance to not make it. Even if they're the best team in the league, a succession of away finals may be too much.

yep, that will make life hard for them

It's hard to understand what went so wrong early on. perhaps the pre-season needs a review.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If your club is looking like peaking in the premiership zone, you take steps to maintain that. Spend more top up with players

If you peak and you know you are miles off it, you may consciously go for a rebuild or mini rebuild

Gotta love how gws and hawthorns flag pole predictor goes up after their loses. Becomes almost impossible now for hawthorn to make finals and it goes up. GWS lose to a lower ranked team and it goes up. It is so stupid.
Careful, try not to let your bias show.

Gotta love how gws and hawthorns flag pole predictor goes up after their loses. Becomes almost impossible now for hawthorn to make finals and it goes up. GWS lose to a lower ranked team and it goes up. It is so stupid.
It's maths. With numbers that have mostly been explained to us already. Just maths.

You're complaining that maths is stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back