Travel Sri Lanka - anyone been?

Remove this Banner Ad

I went for a couple of weeks in 2013. It's quite a nice country and very cheap as well. Take 1-2 pairs of jeans and sufficient t-shirts as there is no need for jumpers or long pants (outside of going out in the evening). It feels dirtier than what you would be used to so take wet wipes which also double as a decent way of wiping sweat off your forehead, which you will be doing frequently. Avoid going to the Pinnawala elephant orphanage between Colombo and Kandy as they only care about profiting off the animals and routinely abuse them. Any specific questions let me know and I will be happy to help out!

I went for a couple of weeks in 2013. It's quite a nice country and very cheap as well. Take 1-2 pairs of jeans and sufficient t-shirts as there is no need for jumpers or long pants (outside of going out in the evening). It feels dirtier than what you would be used to so take wet wipes which also double as a decent way of wiping sweat off your forehead, which you will be doing frequently. Avoid going to the Pinnawala elephant orphanage between Colombo and Kandy as they only care about profiting off the animals and routinely abuse them. Any specific questions let me know and I will be happy to help out!

Tossing up between Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Kenya and South Africa for a holiday in Jan.. Sri Lanka is on top right now but it changes daily. What are the beaches like? We are considering landing in Colombo and hiring a car and driving south, doing a loop around the bottom, then up inland east through to I dunno where.

Any advice experience?

Tossing up between Sri Lanka, Madagascar, Kenya and South Africa for a holiday in Jan.. Sri Lanka is on top right now but it changes daily. What are the beaches like? We are considering landing in Colombo and hiring a car and driving south, doing a loop around the bottom, then up inland east through to I dunno where.

Any advice experience?

Can't speak for the quality of the beaches as I didn't spend any time at the beach while there. Would definitely recommend it to visit though, it's a wonderful place and well worth exploring. Given it's a smallish island and well connected I'd recommend taking the train everywhere rather than car as it's a bit more leisurely and has some amazing sites, but obviously if you'd prefer to do so then car will do the trick.

Been a few years but thought the beaches were quite nice. The resorts and infrastructure weren’t as advanced as you would see across Asia but the tourist influx hadn’t hit by then so it might be completely different now.
Scored some really cheap business flights from Jakarta to Muscat via Sri Lanka airlines in March and will have a couple of days to kill on a stopover so very keen to here what it is like now

Any advice experience?
Can't speak for the quality of the beaches as I didn't spend any time at the beach while there. Would definitely recommend it to visit though, it's a wonderful place and well worth exploring. Given it's a smallish island and well connected I'd recommend taking the train everywhere rather than car as it's a bit more leisurely and has some amazing sites, but obviously if you'd prefer to do so then car will do the trick.

Wonderful country - to be honest though in comparison to Australian standards the beaches aren't all that amazing. Don't know what you're experience is like overseas but would not recommend driving at all - the roads are utter madness, catch the trains, buses are surprisingly fun or hire a driver.

Been a few years but thought the beaches were quite nice. The resorts and infrastructure weren’t as advanced as you would see across Asia but the tourist influx hadn’t hit by then so it might be completely different now.
Scored some really cheap business flights from Jakarta to Muscat via Sri Lanka airlines in March and will have a couple of days to kill on a stopover so very keen to here what it is like now

Hard to say with just a couple of days you're probably restricted to Colombo and surrounds. Galle Face Green is terrific, but I felt the best of SL was hill country which requires a bit more time. You could probably get to somewhere on the SW coast though.

gotta keep an eye on this thread... heading over there at easter. have a wedding in Galle.. going to spend a week after checking as much out as i can then duck over to europe for a couple of weeks

Found Galle super boring and worthy of a day trip only. Nice beaches further east.

Any advice experience?
Did you go? Did you survive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back