Sri Lanka tour of South Africa 2019 - 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20Is

Remove this Banner Ad

Sri Lanka have actually managed to be weirdly decent away from home at times in their history. They've won series in Pakistan, New Zealand, England, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe (granted these two aren't great achievements as everyone has done that) and now, incredibly, South Africa.

The ones that have evaded them are Australia, India and West Indies. They've still never won a Test in Australia or India.

Hopefully this doesn't fire the South Africans up/be the Geelong round 5 2007 loss that sets up their World Cup. If they continue to fall away that'd be great.

Fantastic from Sri Lanka. Hope they go from strength to strength now.

Imagine being one of those guys and seeing Thirimanne being part of it

*if they get it done.

Hopefully they still drop Thirimanne.

Hahaha Thirimanne should just retire.

Surely bring Chandimal back to bat at 5.
Surely **** off Thirimanne as well.

Lahiru Thirimanne is like the bloke that did the bare minimum in agroup assignment but still got a HD.

ahaha Thirimanne probably has nude photos of one of the selectors. Can't bat, bowl or field.
Makes absolute sense why SLC is being investigated for corruption.

Sounds like he's dropped multiple loads on your ex-girlfriend? :$

Time for Dale Steyn to retire. Has the record, but at 35 he isn't the Saffers future..........

They've got some tough choices to make in the wake of this series. Do they take it as hard as they seemingly should or do they hold steadfast and continue with their regeneration plans (i.e. keeping a few elder statesmen in while De Kock, Rabada, Markram develop into the leaders/stars).

Philander is still a star but has his restrictions.

Steyn is as you said 35 but is still capable.

Du Plessis only averaged 24.4 in 2018 with 2 50s and 1 100. Has shown form for 2019 but let's see how it goes with an extended run.

Amla hasn't scored a test ton since October 2017, and that was Bangladesh. Cricket writers try their best to write whimsically about his new found defence and boundaries flowing after a not entirely poor series v Pakistan - but 27.2 from 6 innings this year, and an average of 26 last year, hasn't averaged over 50 in a calendar year since 2014 - gone 22.8, 48.6, 47.4, 26.8, 27 in his past 5 years (the 2017 average helped by 2 centuries v Bangladesh...).

Philander the youngest of those 4 at 33 nearing 34 in June this year.

There is nothing wrong with South Africa's bowling attack, their batting let them down this series.

Amla is done unfortunately. Bavuma I don't think they can get rid of due to quotas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

South Africa only have 3 Test series between now and the end of next year. If Steyn plays the next 7 Tests, he could retire at home next January against England having played his 100th Test. I don't see him getting surviving long enough to get another 61 Test wickets (for 500) or 81 (to pass Courtney Walsh).

Future Tours Program - http://i.imgci.com/db/DOWNLOAD/0000/0045/ftp_2018_2023.pdf

late 2019 - @ India (3 Tests)
late 2019 - v England (4 Tests)
mid 2020 - @ West Indies (2 Tests)

There is nothing wrong with South Africa's bowling attack, their batting let them down this series.

Amla is done unfortunately. Bavuma I don't think they can get rid of due to quotas.

Amla has the WC and I reckon he should call it after that.

Bavuma has no competition in FC scene except Zondo. Sinethemba Qeshile could replace him according to stats but the kid is 19 and I have no idea how he is plays. You can drop Bavuma to 6 with Faf at 4.

Don't need Mulder or bits and pieces allrounders. Get a batsman

South Africans continue to fall away that'd be great.
No, ideally we want all sides to improve. Not continue to get worse that we have 10 ordinary teams in world. It is fun these upsets but does worry me the overall standard really become so poor. I think even myself I probably still rated South Africa a fairly decent team but takes time to digest De Villers and Morkel are retired so like us with no Smith and Warner it means side is a bit weaker.

In anycase, all credit to Sri Lanka. got smashed here by average Aussie side and we all expect to naturally follow up with loss in South Africa and they win both Tests.
Step in right direction for them.

Great win from SL, unlike India they had to beat a full strength to get their special piece of history.

SA batting looking pretty thin with de Villiers gone & Amla fading.

Great win from SL, unlike India they had to beat a full strength to get their special piece of history.

SA batting looking pretty thin with de Villiers gone & Amla fading.

Depends what is back in domestic level there. They may have one or two Markam's ready to come on scene for all we know. Morkel retired. I think Olivier will be quite handy. DeVilliers impossible to replace, like us trying ot find next Greg Chappell in late 80's or find the next Ponting this decade. They are nothing special as a team now but still won't take much to be best in world if you unearth a superstar or two. Not much between about 8 nations at moment the way I see it.

refresh my memory phat, in regards to Chris Cairns, was he originally found guilty, appealed, then found not guilty or the other way around.'
i seem to recall he beat the charge?
(not having a go at you, just trying to recall)
i like your cricket posting (mostly)

He got off I’m pretty sure. McCullum testified against him - I found it next to impossible to believe he would do so without serious grounds for it. It was a jury that let Cairns off rather than a judge and I tend to think they ****ed it up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back