Sri Lanka tour of South Africa 2019 - 2 Tests, 5 ODIs, 2 T20Is

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the thing though - I agree about the last sentence, but it’s fairly immaterial as he makes very few mistakes for the reasons you outlined. Same as a batsman with a poor technique who still thrives through other strengths.
I think it is material because it makes his keeping serviceable not outstanding. Purely from De Kock's perspective, I don't think he is or ever will be world class with the gloves but it could take his already outstanding batting performances to another level without the gloves. Whether someone else keeps depends entirely on what you lose by having to clog up the batting line-up with another keeper v what you gain with De Kock playing as a pure bat.

In terms of selection and value-add though his value isn't from his keeping is more my point.

I think it is material because it makes his keeping serviceable not outstanding. Purely from De Kock's perspective, I don't think he is or ever will be world class with the gloves but it could take his already outstanding batting performances to another level without the gloves. Whether someone else keeps depends entirely on what you lose by having to clog up the batting line-up with another keeper v what you gain with De Kock playing as a pure bat.

In terms of selection and value-add though his value isn't from his keeping is more my point.

It’s worth keeping in mind that at any given time there are only ever 12 (more realistically 9) current active test wicketkeepers in the world.

I think we are often quick to dismiss anyone that isn’t absolutely top of the tree as mediocre when it comes to keeping which is probably unfair.

In reality if we are talking about batsmen, then being world class doesn’t equal being absolutely elite, it equals being very capable at international level of playing the role required.

I think the difference between an absolute all-time wicketkeeper and a world class one is that an all-timer makes dismissals out of chances that wouldn’t even exist with other keepers. Healy could do it keeping to warne, for example.

I think world class is simply a keeper who doesn’t (largely) make mistakes, and takes everything he should take. I think de Kock and a few others it that description at the moment.

Not all of them do - Dowrich for one, though improving, is still prone to coughing up one or two a game that a world class keeper would take.

Sri Lanka cricket never change...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ha-ordered-return-sri-lanka-south-africa-odis

While the historic Test series win over South Africa last month did buy him a short reprieve, the ensuing succession of ODI defeats, in what is Sri Lanka's final series before the World Cup, has seen the board become emboldened to move against Hathurusingha.

The board's concerns are also thought to be only partially performance-related. According to the SLC source, Hathurusingha is said to have uneasy relations with some players and staff, while it was a prolonged spat with the new selection committee that culminated in him being removed from the role of selector-on-tour last month.

Ahead of the South Africa tour, Hathurusingha had voiced concerns over the wholesale changes being made to the limited-overs squad just months out from a World Cup, one of which was the axing of Dinesh Chandimal - someone he had earmarked as central to his limited-overs squad. Hathurusingha is also said to have been unhappy at Lasith Malinga's installation as ODI captain, a player who had until then only been at the periphery of his plans.

"The board is not happy, not only with his performance, but his attitude as well. This has been coming for a while, to be honest," the SLC official said.

It’s worth keeping in mind that at any given time there are only ever 12 (more realistically 9) current active test wicketkeepers in the world.

I think we are often quick to dismiss anyone that isn’t absolutely top of the tree as mediocre when it comes to keeping which is probably unfair.

In reality if we are talking about batsmen, then being world class doesn’t equal being absolutely elite, it equals being very capable at international level of playing the role required.

I think the difference between an absolute all-time wicketkeeper and a world class one is that an all-timer makes dismissals out of chances that wouldn’t even exist with other keepers. Healy could do it keeping to warne, for example.

I think world class is simply a keeper who doesn’t (largely) make mistakes, and takes everything he should take. I think de Kock and a few others it that description at the moment.

Not all of them do - Dowrich for one, though improving, is still prone to coughing up one or two a game that a world class keeper would take.

I'd agree with that. de Kock's keeping is very adequate, better than the likes of Haddin & Prior who had considerable test careers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back