Sri Lanka Tour of West Indies 2021 (3 T20's, 3 ODI's and 2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mind you Sri Lankas’s best bowler is hardly a world beater either. I was genuinely wondering what the hell Mayers was doing the other day. He wouldn’t last too long at 4 if he batted like that against the bigger nations

You don’t earn a record like his ag domestic level without having some holes in your game. But his last couple of seasons have been much better and anyone can see from his GOOD shots and a couple of his innings since his debut that he certainly has a heap of ability. Align that with Bonner’s discipline and you probably have a world class batsman lol

Mind you Sri Lankas’s best bowler is hardly a world beater either. I was genuinely wondering what the hell Mayers was doing the other day. He wouldn’t last too long at 4 if he batted like that against the bigger nations
Lakmal was a genuine plodder for a long time - he averaged 45 with the ball after 42 tests - however over the last 3 or 4 years he's actually become a very good bowler. He has 64 wickets @ 24 since the start of 2018 and away from home in that time it's 53 wickets @ 22. Only Bumrah has more wickets away from home at a better average in that time.

I know Sri Lanka's first class system might not be the strongest in the world, but how has it taken Nissanka this long to get a run in their dodgy line up. He looks bloody good at the crease, and it's not like the SL top order is full of world beaters anymore.

The only thing I can think of is they are concerned about him being able to handle international bowlers at his size. He must only be about 5'6 yeah? But that hasn't stopped plenty of other great batsmen, particularly sub continental batsmen.

I know Sri Lanka's first class system might not be the strongest in the world, but how has it taken Nissanka this long to get a run in their dodgy line up. He looks bloody good at the crease, and it's not like the SL top order is full of world beaters anymore.

The only thing I can think of is they are concerned about him being able to handle international bowlers at his size. He must only be about 5'6 yeah? But that hasn't stopped plenty of other great batsmen, particularly sub continental batsmen.

Also while the guys who have been there are far from world beaters there was a sense with basically all of them that a cascade of runs was always around the corner based on some of their innings. Mendes, Perera, De Silva - they’d all shown glimpses of rare talent courtesy of some isolated fantastic innings so we’re probably given more leeway than they deserved

Mendis and Perera in particularly were given huge amounts of time given some of the worldie innings they'd played. Mendis' 170-odd v Australia when no one else made over 55 in the match and of course Perera's GOAT innings.

H
Mendis and Perera in particularly were given huge amounts of time given some of the worldie innings they'd played. Mendis' 170-odd v Australia when no one else made over 55 in the match and of course Perera's GOAT innings.
He was quite young too when he made some of his crazy innings. One of the main issues I see with SL is that they don’t have anyone that looks to be test level 3 or 4’s. Their two best batsmen in Matthews and Chandimal have always flourished batting 5-7. Guys like De Silva, Mendis, Perera and etc are also also better suited to bat around that mark too. Nissanka seems has the temperament to do so but it will be huge test for him to translate his late order form to 3.

karunratne (c)
Thirimanne
Nissanka
O.Fernando
Matthews
D. De Silva
Chandimal (wk)

Not an elite batting line up but would make them way more competitive than they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would say an opportunity missed for the West Indies. They were favorites for this series, would be disappointed not to win and ofcourse Sri Lanka's unbeaten series record against them since 2003 also continues.

I would say an opportunity missed for the West Indies. They were favorites for this series, would be disappointed not to win and ofcourse Sri Lanka's unbeaten series record against them since 2003 also continues.

I think the pitches were probably the biggest factor in the result. The Windies were in dominant positions after the first innings in both tests, but the pitches didn’t really break up, meaning Sri Lanka could scramble there way to draws.

Didn’t help the Gabriel was out of form, he’s the sort of bowler that can do damage regardless of what the pitch is doing when on song

I think the pitches were probably the biggest factor in the result. The Windies were in dominant positions after the first innings in both tests, but the pitches didn’t really break up, meaning Sri Lanka could scramble there way to draws.

Didn’t help the Gabriel was out of form, he’s the sort of bowler that can do damage regardless of what the pitch is doing when on song

Agreed. You need your bang it in bowlers to do the work in those situations and he was off the boil. Still a fair few positives. Kraigg back in form, bonner and Mayers continued where they left off, Cornwall remembered for to bat and holder was good

No doubt There are holes in our team but less than there was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back