SSP Final Spot?

Who should get the last rookie spot?

• Mykelti Lefau

• Mitch Schofield

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

When Mihocek came on the scene what was he besides a battler. He's still a battler but every side in the league would play him because of what he brings in regard to attack on the ball and that he clears a path for more skilled players. He averages 10.7 possessions a match, not much, but he hurts sides.

I'm hoping that Kosi can be our Miocek this year, and Lefau can do it in the VFL and if he gets a gig in the end, backup AFL.
Or we bring him in when we play Carlton to stand toe to toe with Cripps and show him how rubgy players tackle.
Mihocek had just come off a BnF playing CHB in the VFL, miles apart.

Last edited:
Mihocek and just come off a BnF playing CHB in the VFL, miles apart.
Yeah agree
Like I said earlier with the likes of Townsend who attribute wise is quite similar player

Regularly dominated the vfl comp playing on ball as a hard tackling big bodied mid who also had a rugby background

Could never consistently break through to afl level across 4 clubs in the end?

It’s quite rare to see older players who dominate at state level make the jump when most tend to be fantastic mids at vfl level but for whatever reason they can’t break into afl midfield setups so they tend to play as forwards at afl level (Aarts, Gibbons, Townsend)

Even Lambert who is one of the successful ones never really became a starting mid at AFL level who was a star vfl midfielder

Once again I’m not saying Lefau won’t make it but I would be extremely surprised if he does and a lot of the hype seem and some of the comparisons to be unjustified and based more on wishful thinking than anything else

Yeah agree
Like I said earlier with the likes of Townsend who attribute wise is quite similar player

Regularly dominated the vfl comp playing on ball as a hard tackling big bodied mid who also had a rugby background

Could never consistently break through to afl level across 4 clubs in the end?

It’s quite rare to see older players who dominate at state level make the jump when most tend to be fantastic mids at vfl level but for whatever reason they can’t break into afl midfield setups so they tend to play as forwards at afl level (Aarts, Gibbons, Townsend)

Even Lambert who is one of the successful ones never really became a starting mid at AFL level who was a star vfl midfielder

Once again I’m not saying Lefau won’t make it but I would be extremely surprised if he does and a lot of the hype seem and some of the comparisons to be unjustified and based more on wishful thinking than anything else
Yeah I get the Towner comparison but even that is a stretch hey, Towner was a natural footballer, great in the air etc, the only reason he didnt make it was his lack of speed.

Lefau isnt a natural footballer, not great in the air despite a great leap and being KP height, he does have speed though.

I would like someone to show me a VFL footballer over 25 who didnt play elite VFL football that made it in the AFL? I cant think of any.

Yeah I get the Towner comparison but even that is a stretch hey, Towner was a natural footballer, great in the air etc, the only reason he didnt make it was his lack of speed.

Lefau isnt a natural footballer, not great in the air despite a great leap and being KP height, he does have speed though.

I would like someone to show me a VFL footballer over 25 who didnt play elite VFL football that made it in the AFL? I cant think of any.
Tylar Young may be one?

Mihocek had just come off a BnF playing CHB in the VFL, miles apart.
Not miles apart. Lefau took a little time coming off a knee reco to get going but by the end of the season he was influencing games in a big way. If he did that from earlier in the season he could have been right up there in the B & F as well. Trezise won our B & F this year and he was not more influential that Lefau in many games. Morris was glowing about him and probably had a strong say in why his training with us.

Tylar Young may be one?
Yeah would be one but probably still not an apples v apples comparison either seeing that he did have some footy experience as a kid and plays a role where strength and size make go a long way towards being successful in the role so lack of game experience isn’t necessarily a huge negative

Maybe some of the Irish guys that have come over might of started later after successful Gallic careers but that’s just a guess on my part as well

Of course it is wishful thinking, but who would you rather they give a chance, Lefau or someone like Bradtke, or some kid that everyone passed in the draft. Lefau has a point of difference that's all. If it doesn't translate then they will choose the kid from WA.

Not miles apart. Lefau took a little time coming off a knee reco to get going but by the end of the season he was influencing games in a big way. If he did that from earlier in the season he could have been right up there in the B & F as well. Trezise won our B & F this year and he was not more influential that Lefau in many games. Morris was glowing about him and probably had a strong say in why his training with us.
Mihocek was an elite jr footballer who dominated the jr system and went on to be a excellent state level player before getting drafted also had a father who played afl
They are definitely miles apart in terms of a career progression comparison

Mihocek was an elite jr footballer who dominated the jr system and went on to be a excellent state level player before getting drafted also had a father who played afl
They are definitely miles apart in terms of a career progression comparison
That is true, but he is still a battler as far as skills go, as far as disposals go. He was a state level Tassie player, big difference to being a Vic or SA/WA player as only one or two Tassie boys get drafted most years.

He was not an elite junior, pick 22 in the rookie draft coming in from the VFL as a defender. Drafted most likely because of his aggressive attitude (and having an afl father, that always gives you a nudge others don't get).

Lefau has played far more footy than Tyler Young, who started playing at age 20 having last played about 12 years old.

That is true, but he is still a battler as far as skills go, as far as disposals go. He was a state level Tassie player, big difference to being a Vic or SA/WA player as only one or two Tassie boys get drafted most years.

He was not an elite junior, pick 22 in the rookie draft coming in from the VFL as a defender. Drafted most likely because of his aggressive attitude (and having an afl father, that always gives you a nudge others don't get).

Lefau has played far more footy than Tyler Young, who started playing at age 20 having last played about 12 years old.
He was selected in the under 18’s all Australian team and won multiple bnfs at vfl level including Williamstown when they were easily the best vfl team in the comp

He was absolutely an elite junior and young footballer

He was selected in the under 18’s all Australian team and won multiple bnfs at vfl level including Williamstown when they were easily the best vfl team in the comp

And he is far better than a battler, he is a very good lead up CHF

And he is far better than a battler, he is a very good lead up CHF
Yeah absolutely
As much as I hate the pies he’s one of those guys I love watching play
Done it the hard way and the fact he wasn’t drafted earlier is a complete mystery

Can only assume he had some off field issues or absolutely bombed in interviews
I’ve read that it was partly due to the fact that teams hadn’t really taken much notice of the Tassie comps or send scouts all that much in his draft year but who knows

But in any case the signs that he was an afl player in waiting are pretty clear when looking at his under 18s and vfl career
That’s why I don’t think the comparison to Lefau fits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realise he was in the AA team. He was a backman though, and a rookie draftee as a mature age player, so there must have been a reason why. I am a Mihocek fan, he is not fancy but effective, sometimes these types slip through because they don't fit the mould.

Checking Out American Horror Story GIF by AHS

Didn't realise he was in the AA team. He was a backman though, and a rookie draftee as a mature age player, so there must have been a reason why. I am a Mihocek fan, he is not fancy but effective, sometimes these types slip through because they don't fit the mould.
My recollection was he tested slower than my Nan and she’s dead.

Back