SSP - The last Rookie Spot

Remove this Banner Ad

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Adelaide remains one of five clubs with spots available. Adelaide, Essendon (Johnson ACL) Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn and West Coast with openings that can be used in the SSP or NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft.

Next window pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) before its closure in March. SSP signings can be made from players overlooked in the draft (such as Sydney Stack last year), 2019 delisted players (like Mav Weller last year) or previously listed players (like Zac Clarke las year).

"The Crows have shown a tendency to look to their SANFL list and will have 23-year-old small forward James Mathews continue to train with their AFL squad. "

Here are four players we should be interested in the North KPP duo in Karl Finlay and Dyson Hilder, Sturt midfielder in Josh Shute or Magarey medalist in Luke Partington. Noting Hawthorn's interest.

I'd love Matthews for his electrifying leg speed, but think we could do with a ready to play Ruckman in case ROB gets hurt.

Given our injury curse in recent years, I reckon it will be whichever player fits the bill to replace our inevitable season-ending injury suffered during the preseason.

Or perhaps we're just waiting to see if Erin Phillips can get back to full fitness before selecting her? :p

Last edited:
I'd love Matthews for his electrifying leg speed, but think we could do with a ready to play Ruckman in case ROB gets hurt.
If that happens, then the ROB goes on the long term list and we can get another player to replace, Him in either the SSP or mid-season draft.
Any player on the long term injury can be replaced at either the SSP or the mid-season draft.
From the AFL
"Should a club's list be full following the completion of the drafts, the SSP can still be used if a player retires or sustains a long-term injury before the start of the home and away season. "
And for the midseason Draft from the AFL
"Clubs must have a rookie-list spot available or a registered inactive player to be eligible to participate in the draft "

Reid [List Manager] and Ogilvie [Head Recruiter] have both said multiple times they're happy enough to go with Strachan and Frampton/Himmelberg as our back up at this point so I'm thinking there's not much chance of us bringing in a Ruck with that last spot.

I think people also need to look at what Strachan brought to the table later in the SANFL season once he started to get some sort of tank having missed the last half of season 2018 with a broken leg and then a very compromised pre-season as he finished his rehab. Showed me enough to suggest that with a full pre-season under his belt he's likely to make giant steps forward the more games he gets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this pick could not be so much a Hamish pick but could be a nicks pick as well. Invite kids to train and let Nicks decide who he wants in his side.

Given our injury curse in recent years, I reckon it will be whichever player fits the bill to replace our inevitable season-ending injury suffered during the preseason.

Or perhaps we're just waiting to see if Erin Phillips can get back to full fitness before selecting her? :p
Mate, she wouldn't be on the rookie list

We stocked up on KPDs so he'd be surplus. I'd either go Matthews or a ruckman who can play as back-up to R.O.B. If he goes down, our only true ruckman is Strachan.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Frampton played the bulk of his SANFL footy as a ruckman and only this year was tried as permanent Forward?

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Frampton played the bulk of his SANFL footy as a ruckman and only this year was tried as permanent Forward?
That is part of the reason i like him forward ... he can take some of the ruck duties up there so we can leave ROB behind the ball ( side of play ) for the defensive chop out mark .

Last edited:

Yeah he was pretty underwhelming as a ruckman for several years if I'm remembering correctly

Reid [List Manager] and Ogilvie [Head Recruiter] have both said multiple times they're happy enough to go with Strachan and Frampton/Himmelberg as our back up at this point so I'm thinking there's not much chance of us bringing in a Ruck with that last spot.

I think people also need to look at what Strachan brought to the table later in the SANFL season once he started to get some sort of tank having missed the last half of season 2018 with a broken leg and then a very compromised pre-season as he finished his rehab. Showed me enough to suggest that with a full pre-season under his belt he's likely to make giant steps forward the more games he gets.

I think he could make his debut in the AFL side this year. Improved immensely as the season progressed. Very good below his knees.

Perfect opportunity to fast track
Strachan and Frampton development without the presence of Sauce and Hunter. I think they both will perform well. Looking forward to next season.

When Ryder went down for half of 2018 we persisted with Westhoff and Howard as our rucks, as the coaches didn't rate Frampton as a ruckman. He is much better as the stay at home Dixon/Tippett style forward
Yeah he was pretty underwhelming as a ruckman for several years if I'm remembering correctly

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

The perceived obsession many posters have with targeting pure speed is unfounded IMO. In recent drafts we have more than addressed this - the problem was that Don simply let them sit in the SANFL while the plodders plodded in the AFL side.

Over the next 2 seasons, we’ll see the speed of some / all of Hamill, Jones, McHenry, Worrell (very quick for a player of his height), McAdam, Schoenberg and Sholl injected into a side that already contains the toe of Seedsman, Milera, Smith, Doedee, Kelly (yes he’s genuinely quick) and Brad Crouch.

Gallucci and Murphy are both very quick too, and can provide speed to the side if they’re considered good enough to warrant selection moving forward. As much as I dislike him as a player, Kyle Hartigan would be one of the fastest key defenders in the AFL too but we’re probably more talking about guys who can use speed to attack, so that takes him out.

Similarly, young O’Connor looks to have a lot of speed and power in his game. I wouldn’t exactly call Stengle slow either.

We have also let the extremely slow Greenwood, CEY, Douglas, Jacobs and Otten go in the off-season, which instantly made the list a lot nippier.

Onto the topic at hand, Shute is the clear standout for me of the 18 year old guys I have seen play, and the fact that he’s from SA is just a small bonus. He’s a class above Matthews and as an outside mid, fills a need. Hope we bring him in.

Never seen Luke Partington play and don't know much about him but would think he'd be worth a look at least.
- Magarey medal means he's got good form in the SANFL
- Posted good numbers in the 20m sprint and yo-yo test
- Been on an AFL list so he's had a taste
- Lives in SA which is beneficial for trialling someone over the summer with training with the squad and also makes it easier if we did select him
- Want someone that's capable of coming in and playing straight away which you'd think at his age he would be

I guess the issue for him is that if he's a midfield only, we've got a number of guys pushing for those spots and it's hard to imagine him leapfrogging enough to get games at AFL level. But without knowing a great deal, seems to tick a number of boxes to the point where you think he's at least worth trialling during the pre-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back