austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
I'm far too lazy and occupied to look through the average senior 22 of 10 years but I'm wondering how we would go about comparing in player by player, like for like sense, the two teams.

I'd be equally interested in the same type of comparison of this year's Saints team and the premiers of 2009 and 2010 if any of you have the stomach for it.

My suspicion is that our current team is closer to 2009 Cats or 2010 Pies than 2009-10 Saints.

I'm far too lazy and occupied to look through the average senior 22 of 10 years but I'm wondering how we would go about comparing in player by player, like for like sense, the two teams.

I'd be equally interested in the same type of comparison of this year's Saints team and the premiers of 2009 and 2010 if any of you have the stomach for it.

My suspicion is that our current team is closer to 2009 Cats or 2010 Pies than 2009-10 Saints.
I'm equally as lazy but i'd be going with this side being more comparable to the 97 side age wise than the 09-10 teams

Will also add this side still has it all to do and has achieved nothing yet compared to any of those sides!
The 09-10 sides would eat our current team for breakfast! That's not necessarily a knock!
Dare say they would have eaten the last 3 premiers for brekkie too! Times have changed, cannot see any side dominating the competition
Like some teams have in the past! Have never seen the whole comp so even as it has been in recent times!
S'pose the whole equalization mantra whilst still not without some anomolies is working a treat!

Should probably elaborate:

In 2009, the Cats were a fairly even team with few huge stand outs, whereas there was a huge gap between the top and bottom six Saints players.

In 2010 the Saints had been in the most recent GF and most of the players were experienced finalists, whereas the Pies were relative noobs. In fact in the media leading up to the first 2010 GF, our big advantage was the players recent experience, which sadly evaporated for the replay.

Last edited:

Should probably elaborate:

In 2009, the Cats were a fairly even team with few huge stand outs, whereas there was a huge gap between the top and bottom six Saints players.

In 2010 the Saints had been in the most recent GF and most of the players were experienced finalists, whereas the Pies were relative noobs.
I think that's meant to be Knobs!
Yeah i get you! Think eventually this side potentially has a much more even spread of talent than 09-10 where you correctly point out our
Bottom 6 let us down! Have said before our general depth is about as good as i've ever seen it!
We just need 3 or 4 blokes to go to the elite level and then we will be set!

I'd liken this year more to our 1997 effort. In 96 we didn't make the finals, we made some astute mature-age pick-ups in Heatley and Thompson and leapt out of nowhere to make the Granny. Can see similarities between Heatley and Membrey, Brown and Shanahan, Thommo and Ross, Savage and Aussie Jones, even Steele and Burkey.

I'd liken this year more to our 1997 effort. In 96 we didn't make the finals, we made some astute mature-age pick-ups in Heatley and Thompson and leapt out of nowhere to make the Granny. Can see similarities between Heatley and Membrey, Brown and Shanahan, Thommo and Ross, Savage and Aussie Jones, even Steele and Burkey.

Jack Billings and Joel Smith, Spida and Marshall, Parker -Trianides? Bruce and Loewe, Matty Young and Wilkie?

Yeah we get it mate, you're a negative nancy, but that wasnt an answer to the question he was asking.

Steele, Bruce and Acres are the answer but none are close to the same level of talent. Steele is still young and who knows about Acres though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2009 team consisted of players of whom:

3 players had over 200 games experience
4 players had over 150 games experience
9 players had over 100 games experience
6 players had over 50 games experience

Sadly the 2019 team is not in the same ballpark.
Not even in the same suburb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back