Club Focus St Kilda 2020 - Crouch, Frawley, McKernan, Higgins, Allison, Highmore

AFL Club Focus

What does St Kilda need to focus on most this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Recruiting via the draft

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing the age profile

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd bring this thread up again as with Crouch coming in and Hanners, Jones and Hill coming in last year, does that leave any Saints mids on the outer who may be looking elsewhere?
Hanners, Crouch, Ross, Dunstan, Steele, Bytel, Byrnes, Phillips and Langlands is a pretty big list of inside mids and I'm thinking at least 5 of them will want game time next year? And is Billings happy as a HF for all his career?
Added to that the fact they aren't out of the race for a young GWS mid.

Plus I'm not sure of their contract status but players like Steele, King, Coffield and Clarke will be wanting pay rises soon (if not already) so salary cap must be starting to get tight.

P.S. bloody great recruiting Sainters!!!

Thought I'd bring this thread up again as with Crouch coming in and Hanners, Jones and Hill coming in last year, does that leave any Saints mids on the outer who may be looking elsewhere?
Hanners, Crouch, Ross, Dunstan, Steele, Bytel, Byrnes, Phillips and Langlands is a pretty big list of inside mids and I'm thinking at least 5 of them will want game time next year? And is Billings happy as a HF for all his career?

Plus I'm not sure of their contract status but players like Steele, King, Coffield and Clarke will be wanting pay rises soon (if not already) so salary cap must be starting to get tight.

Can’t hanners just play wing.

Play steele, crouch, Ross in the middle.

rest are meh players you just don’t play them at all

Can’t hanners just play wing.

Play steele, crouch, Ross in the middle.

rest are meh players you just don’t play them at all
My thoughts were Hanners may be shot on the wing due to injury, but that's only a guess.

And the bolded part is exactly my point. eg, Dunstan looks to have moved 3-4 spots down the pecking order in the past 12 months, so does he have the possibility of being a best 22 at say Adelaide, NM, Sydney or even WC?

Phillips is not an inside mid and Langlands just got delisted.

I'd presume Dunstan will look for more opportunity.

Billings has spent the last 2 years on the wing.

Dunstan gone IMO.
Steele, Crouch, Jones, Hill, Hanners, Clark and Ross with Gresh/Billings rotating through the midfield.

Carlisles contract is up (If we re-sign him it won’t be on big dollars). Roberton will probably be moved on and he’s on decent coin. Webster would be on above average. I believe we stop paying Jack Stevens contract too And Geary just re-signed for 1 year probably on minimal $$

Dunstan gone IMO.
Steele, Crouch, Jones, Hill, Hanners, Clark and Ross with Gresh/Billings rotating through the midfield.

Carlisles contract is up (If we re-sign him it won’t be on big dollars). Roberton will probably be moved on and he’s on decent coin. Webster would be on above average. I believe we stop paying Jack Stevens contract too And Geary just re-signed for 1 year probably on minimal $$
Cheers for the info, I forgot Gresham!!
I was def pointing more towards opportunity than salary cap.

That's 9 players in a best 22 who are mostly mids or rotating through, that's a fair few by today's AFL standards still.

That's 9 players in a best 22 who are mostly mids or rotating through, that's a fair few by today's AFL standards still.

I think Ross could be used on Half back. Always have one of Gresh/Billings fwd (reckon they play there best fwd there)

Though not all 9 are pure mids., and not all on that list may be first 22 in 2021

Steele, = Genuine inside mid and has play all his games with us there. Graduated this year from a defensive mid to an offensive mid
Crouch = Genuine inside mid
Jones = Pacey HB who has been used by the Saints as a mid both inside and out this year. Is better outside as his hands in heavy trafic are not deft
Hill = Purely an outside mid, very outside.
Hanners = versatile mid who can play in and outside as can push forward as a small fforward. Most likely to play as a linking mid.
Clark = virtually all games have been across HB, however against WCE in the second half and GWS he showed that he can play mid. Very nimble with quick hands and feet
Ross = Has become a tagging mid, in part as quality of the midfield has improved that there are better options for offensive mids
Gresh = Started as small forward, and this year and last has been getting more midfield time. With more mids in 2021 I suspect Saints will play only Butler as a full time small forward and will have Gresh and Hannas rotate forward. Pls Steele etc in bursts.
Billings = Not an inside mid, even though is thrown in occasionally. Sometimes has been wing, but more often has played across HF or HB.

Nicely balanced 22 = Looks good to me:

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Clark
Hill Steele Jones
Billings Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresham

Ryder
Caldwell
Crouch

Long Hannas Battle Geary

EMERG: Sinclair Bytel Kent

Plus there will be injuries and suspensions.

PS I would play Sinclair over Geary next year, but Rats probably would not.

Though not all 9 are pure mids., and not all on that list may be first 22 in 2021

Steele, = Genuine inside mid and has play all his games with us there. Graduated this year from a defensive mid to an offensive mid
Crouch = Genuine inside mid
Jones = Pacey HB who has been used by the Saints as a mid both inside and out this year. Is better outside as his hands in heavy trafic are not deft
Hill = Purely an outside mid, very outside.
Hanners = versatile mid who can play in and outside as can push forward as a small fforward. Most likely to play as a linking mid.
Clark = virtually all games have been across HB, however against WCE in the second half and GWS he showed that he can play mid. Very nimble with quick hands and feet
Ross = Has become a tagging mid, in part as quality of the midfield has improved that there are better options for offensive mids
Gresh = Started as small forward, and this year and last has been getting more midfield time. With more mids in 2021 I suspect Saints will play only Butler as a full time small forward and will have Gresh and Hannas rotate forward. Pls Steele etc in bursts.
Billings = Not an inside mid, even though is thrown in occasionally. Sometimes has been wing, but more often has played across HF or HB.

Nicely balanced 22 = Looks good to me:

Paton Howard Wilkie
Coffield Carlisle Clark
Hill Steele Jones
Billings Marshall Membrey
Butler King Gresham

Ryder
Caldwell
Crouch

Long Hannas Battle Geary

EMERG: Sinclair Bytel Kent

Plus there will be injuries and suspensions.

PS I would play Sinclair over Geary next year, but Rats probably would not.
It’s interesting because I only consider 1 from your best 22 as a genuine A-grader (Steele), or two if you count Marshall as one of the best 2nd Ruck/KPFs.

but regardless this team still looks almost top 4 material, reminds me of Richmond. Very even throughout

It’s interesting because I only consider 1 from your best 22 as a genuine A-grader (Steele), or two if you count Marshall as one of the best 2nd Ruck/KPFs.

Yes we are on the build still. So we will get better yet. ie Coffiels and Clark both just really emerged this year and we can also see what a gun King will be once he mussles up and gains more experience.

However Butler was worthy of being in the AA this year.

Marshall still developing, but already good. Ryder was an A-Grader to finish the year.

but regardless this team still looks almost top 4 material, reminds me of Richmond. Very even throughout

Yes we are on the build still.

In terms of balance we are very well balanced. Mainly are very young and so need to gain muscle and experience.

In terms of footspeed we are probably the quickest team in the AFL with pace in every line and our rucks are also very mobile too.

Midfield was where we most lacked this year, and so it is no surprise that this has been the main focus of our recruiters this trade/draft period so far. I doubt that our recruiters will be content to only land Crouch and Caldwell though and so it will be interesting to see how else they want to tweak the list.

Though with Abbott gone they need to secure another ruck who is at least of decent standard, even if they are not first 22. Ryder being so good this year may see them making do for 2021 though, rather than seeking a ready to go future ruck.

If St Kilda get Jack Higgins, what are the chances of Jack Lonie getting traded?

If St Kilda get Jack Higgins, what are the chances of Jack Lonie getting traded?
99.9%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

love how the Bulldogs fan went hard after Paddy Ryder early in the thread ... must really stick the knife in knowing that Ryder was a HUGE reaason for the saints eliminating the Dogs from the finals ...
also for all the players the saints gave up last year turns out Jack Newnes was the only one to really make any impact for their new team ...

love how the Bulldogs fan went hard after Paddy Ryder early in the thread ... must really stick the knife in knowing that Ryder was a HUGE reaason for the saints eliminating the Dogs from the finals ...
also for all the players the saints gave up last year turns out Jack Newnes was the only one to really make any impact for their new team ...
Don't forget the dees supporter you had a crack at all of our trades :tearsofjoy:

funny little read.

Ryder is hugely on the decline. Jones msy have speed, but his disposal is terrible. Grossly over rated footballer. Butler isn't best 22 so won't make much difference to the list. Howard is an x factor but yet to be proven. And they sold the farm for Hill who arguably becomes their best player and highest paid player at $900K. Hill is a good player, but in no way should he be the best plater on your list. The club should be applauded for selling this as a great trade period.

They lost Bruce who is a fair decent FF and didn't get much in return. Gave away another good talent in Acres as part of the Hill trade which they got bent over on. And Steven who is arguably their best mid wanted out and went to Geelong for virtually nothing. Saints fans are up and about, and congrats to the club for selling this trade period as a positive. But that's a horrible trade peeiod IMO..

This aged poorly

Ryder is practically a corpse. If they ruck him over Marshall (emerging star) more than 10% of the time then they’re Ken Bruce. Marshall was awesome this year. He’s a first ruck that should allow them to avoid having to play a second ruck. Hopefully Ryder still has something in the tank as a forward, but I suspect he won’t be much of a distraction for defenders who will focus on King and Membrey.

This didn't age well, the irony of him being B.O.G in a final I imagine is not lost.

Hill is arguably the best wingman in the competition, although his price was huge.

I suspect in coming years Saints fans will be celebrating the Dougal Howard deal hard. He's going to be a long term gun KPD and based on what he should become th saints got him for unders. That could end up being the real story of their trade period.

This did age well, 3rd in the B&F. He's everything you want in a modern day footballer, and is theoretically entering his prime.

Saints recruiters have a lot of brownie points from last year measuring the performance of those we brought in against those who went out, Hill was the disappointment. Looking forward to them playing chess this year.

Back