Club Focus St Kilda 2021 - Campbell, Wanganeen-Milera, Owens, Windhager, Adams

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda club focus thread

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or do the Saints not have anywhere near enough points to match NGA bids in the first 40 picks? Will need to trade some future seconds/thirds, assuming they have them - or maybe they’re not expecting a bid to come before 41.

Is it just me or do the Saints not have anywhere near enough points to match NGA bids in the first 40 picks? Will need to trade some future seconds/thirds, assuming they have them - or maybe they’re not expecting a bid to come before 41.
I'd say the plan is to trade back into this draft.

We've got 2 future 4ths and a 3rd.

Late draft picks will rise dramatically once the Daicos and Darcy bids come through as well.

I don't think it will be an issue.

Last edited:

The changes to the NGA bidding for this year mean we're in a different position to the likes of Collingwood and Bulldogs - we're not guaranteed to get ours. It's unlikely but possible one will go in the top 20 draft night, which the new rules mean we are unable to match.

So we're better off holding onto our future picks for now and trading as needed in response to where the bids fall.

Who are they looking at with that first pick?

Speed in the midfield a real need right?
Speed would be nice, but just a quality mid with running power above all else.

Ward would be great if he made it thar far.

I'd say we wouldn't be keen on a Roberts type as he's too similar to what we have already.

Goater might be a good fit if we see him as a genuine mid and Sonsie would have to be considered.

Pace and skills, so a mid with our first pick seems pretty clear. We also need a back up ruck and could do with a key defender but we‘ll probably fill those gaps with what we already have if we can’t find other options among delisted players and state leagues.

Speed would be nice, but just a quality mid with running power above all else.

Ward would be great if he made it thar far.

I'd say we wouldn't be keen on a Roberts type as he's too similar to what we have already.

Goater might be a good fit if we see him as a genuine mid and Sonsie would have to be considered.
I thought Sinn would be perfect for you guys?

I thought Sinn would be perfect for you guys?
We've got half backs coming out of our arseholes.

We've been taking half backs with the "potential" to become mids for years now though so nothing would surprise me.

Hunter Clark is the closest player we've taken as a genuine mid inside the top 40 since 2015 so I hope we go for a mid this year.

Not just you but per the rules we only need 197 points each to match bids on Owens and Windhager after pick 21

Not just you but per the rules we only need 197 points each to match bids on Owens and Windhager after pick 21
I don’t think that’s true as per the changes to the rules outlined here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/654659/...-top-nga-prospect-may-not-make-it-to-the-dees

It’s not mentioned anyway. IIRC the rule is that you get a flat 197 point discount on any bid after 21.

The bit someone mentioned earlier about waiting to see where a bid comes before trading future picks for 2021 points make a lot of sense though. Also the Saints’ current picks in the 60 rising a number of spots after the bids on Daicos and Darcy are matched

I don’t think that’s true as per the changes to the rules outlined here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/654659/...-top-nga-prospect-may-not-make-it-to-the-dees

It’s not mentioned anyway. IIRC the rule is that you get a flat 197 point discount on any bid after 21.

The bit someone mentioned earlier about waiting to see where a bid comes before trading future picks for 2021 points make a lot of sense though. Also the Saints’ current picks in the 60 rising a number of spots after the bids on Daicos and Darcy are matched

I’m almost certain that 197 refers to the discount, not the final price.

Take for example this article from last year: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/7da59102bb39f3d8a04cc8d8ae47d9a3

F7537774-559A-4C22-B446-6FBB39C60B1D.jpeg

The first number is the bid pick number, the second number is the price before bidding, and the third number is the price after bidding. The difference between the second and third in each instance is 197 (except for 22 where it’s 198 for some reason).

I could be wrong but I don’t think I am. That article you provided doesn’t suggest a change to matching bids from 21-40 either.

366CD362-277D-4DFD-A2DF-9D1B5E0BABED.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankly, at that early stage, you just go best available. James Gallagher (list manager) said in a recent SEN interview they sit down and organise the draft into brackets of talent (i.e. JHF, Daicos, Darcy, Callaghan, then others) to work out whether to keep our pick or trade down, which says to me it's best available, not a need.

From this, I could see someone like Rachele falling to us.

I have no idea where St Kilda see themselves. They seem to have slept through the trade period.

If they thought they were challenging soon they wouldn't let go of Dunstan, who may be one-paced, but is quality midfield support. Yet they didn't seem interested in recruiting anyone or improving their draft hand either. They currently have seven list spots (including rookies) but only one decent pick - and possibly two academy players.

Will they split pick 9? Will they do anything? It wouldn't be a bad idea to turn 9 into a couple of picks in the late teens if someone is interested. They need extra picks and it reduces the chances of Owens getting poached.

I have no idea where St Kilda see themselves. They seem to have slept through the trade period.

If they thought they were challenging soon they wouldn't let go of Dunstan, who may be one-paced, but is quality midfield support. Yet they didn't seem interested in recruiting anyone or improving their draft hand either. They currently have seven list spots (including rookies) but only one decent pick - and possibly two academy players.

Will they split pick 9? Will they do anything? It wouldn't be a bad idea to turn 9 into a couple of picks in the late teens if someone is interested. They need extra picks and it reduces the chances of Owens getting poached.
Not sure why people think you have to be active every trade period.

There was no point trying to bring in draft picks unless they were in the first round as it runs the risk of having to use them on the academy kids.

We will take pick 9 to the draft and then put ourselves in a position to grab two kids rated in the 2nd round.

We will also look to trade in future picks live in the draft so they won't have to be used on either.

I think it's a good strategy.

If Owens is gone then its just unlucky. Not much we can do about that. Although Twomey still sees it as unlikely to happen and I'd suggest he gets better info to the guys doing phantoms on here.

Not much we could do. We wanted to offload a few players for picks but no one was interested in them and they didn't want to leave anyway. We didn't get anything for Dunstan unfortunately. We couldn't afford to trade the picks we have as we already have a fairly weak hand and need to bring in youth this year to keep a good age profile.

On the plus side, we have two very promising NGA players in Windhagear and Owens who are rated as second-round draft picks so if we are able to pick them up our hand looks a lot better than it currently does.

Structurally our list is pretty solid so we are really in a position where we just need improvement to come from within. Guys like Higgins, Sharman, Highmore, Gresham, King, Clark, really need to stand up and go to the next level.

Last edited:

Actually sounds like we were pretty active trying to shop around Long and Battle but with no takers.

Must use Pick 9 to pick up a good young player and if the two NGA players in Owens and Windhanger join then we will be well pleased.

The only people who get shirty about the lack of action are the journos who have nothing else to talk about.

I imagine we have our sights set on a big trade deal this time in 12 months….

Actually sounds like we were pretty active trying to shop around Long and Battle but with no takers.

Must use Pick 9 to pick up a good young player and if the two NGA players in Owens and Windhanger join then we will be well pleased.

The only people who get shirty about the lack of action are the journos who have nothing else to talk about.

I imagine we have our sights set on a big trade deal this time in 12 months….
I'm surprised nobody showed any interest in Battle, he seems a handy player.

I feel like our 51 and 56 could be more important to Stkilda than most other sides

I believe they would become 42 and 47 after Daicos bid pick 2, Darcy bid pick 3

Basically for points, unless their confident Owens or Windhager dont get bid on in the 2nd round ie 40+

Last edited:
I feel like our 51 and 56 could be more important to Stkilda than most other sides

You actually have picks 62, 66, 67, at absolute best they become 56, 60, 61. Interesting draft and times for the Saints, may just be treading water mid table

Basically for points, unless their confident Owens or Windhager dont get bid on in the 2nd round ie 40+
Someone on our board did the maths, and our current picks in the 60s will be enough to cover a bid from pick 27 onwards so if one gets bid on beforehand, we have some future 4ths we can trade to other clubs for picks their aren't going to use to get the extra points at minimal cost. Hopefully Windhagers back injury means he falls beyond pick 40 so we don't need to worry about the points.

Also sounds like we are interested in trade back into the draft on the night with future picks so thats a watch too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back