Club Focus St Kilda 2023

AFLW club focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a bit of everything haha! An early priority pick is a must.

I'm not holding my breath that Patrikios, Smith, Watt, and Fitzpatrick will return in time for the next season. Some mightn't ever return, and more could be poached. So we probably have to wait until the poaching concludes and the start date announced.

But as things stand, I'd like two mids and two defenders. We probably also need a gun ruck and gun forward. Maybe if we sort out our midfield we might be able to get by with the forwards we have (they didn't spend much time forward this season, had to do too much defending!).

ALL-AUSTRALIAN Giant Erin McKinnon has requested a trade to St Kilda after 41 games in the orange and charcoal.

Should she land at the Saints, the ruck will help ease the burden of Rhiannon Watt’s absence due to an ACL injury sustained late in the season.

"We're really pleased to hear that Erin has expressed interest in joining us for the season ahead," St Kilda head of AFLW Tess McManus told the club website.

"There is still some ground to cover, but we look forward to working with the Giants with the goal of welcoming Erin to the Saints as soon as possible."

The 23-year-old was a member of the Giants' inaugural side in 2017, earning NAB Rising Star honours in her debut season.

List concessions confirmed:
St Kilda can relist Clara Fitzpatrick, and received a compensation pick in the first round (currently No.28, No.15 in Victoria) with the proviso the pick be used to trade for a player (already traded to Carlton for Nicola Stevens)

So Fitzpatrick and Stevens for free basically - at least you know what you're getting and not just random picks.

Fitzpatrick was on St Kilda's list in 2020, playing five of a possible six games and impressing in her role as a key defender.

She missed the 2021 AFLW season due to visa issues, and was delisted following a ruptured ACL suffered while playing Gaelic Football in June, 2021.

St Kilda has won seven of its 25 matches.

So Fitzpatrick and Stevens for free basically - at least you know what you're getting and not just random picks.

Stevens wasn't free. It was our 3rd round pick that was moved to pick 28, not an "invented" pick.

I'm stoked for Fitzpatrick returning. Got locked out of Australia because of COVID, then did an ACL. We probably would've taken Clara with the last pick anyway, not sure it would've cost us much.

Stevens wasn't free. It was our 3rd round pick that was moved to pick 28, not an "invented" pick.

I'm stoked for Fitzpatrick returning. Got locked out of Australia because of COVID, then did an ACL. We probably would've taken Clara with the last pick anyway, not sure it would've cost us much.
Saints, North and Freo all lost third round picks based on their expansion signing losses. Other clubs lost second and even first round picks depending on how many they kept. If it was the same pick they would have said so in the announcement, and it wouldn't have had limitations on it like "must be traded".

Saints, North and Freo all lost third round picks based on their expansion signing losses. Other clubs lost second and even first round picks depending on how many they kept. If it was the same pick they would have said so in the announcement, and it wouldn't have had limitations on it like "must be traded".

Really? That would make sense then. I haven't seen it mentioned that our 3rd round pick loss was due to expansion signings. Clear as mud some of this stuff. Cheers.

Really? That would make sense then. I haven't seen it mentioned that our 3rd round pick loss was due to expansion signings. Clear as mud some of this stuff. Cheers.
They didn't specifically say who lost which picks and why but there's a whole bunch of picks missing after the expansion period so that's the most likely scenario. Not limited to the Saints by any means

ST KILDA has delisted ruck Leah Cutting, in the club's first list change of the off-season.

Wardlaw, who has been linked to St Kilda, was the competition's leading goalkicker last season with 22 and played an important part in the Lions' maiden premiership in 2021.

"Jesse has been a very valued member of the Brisbane Lions, coming up through the ranks via our Academy. She will always have a place here at Brisbane," Lions head of women's football Breeanna Brock said.

"As a home-grown talent, we would have loved Jesse to remain with the Lions. On behalf of everyone at Brisbane, I would like to thank Jesse for everything she has done for our Club, and we wish her all the best in her future endeavours."

The forward has kicked 47 goals in her 49 career games to date and missed just one game in the Lions' season seven campaign where they pushed to a fourth Grand Final.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back