Club Focus St Kilda 2022 - Cordy, Phillipou, Van Es, Hotton, Keeler

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
No you didn’t.
Yeah nah I did.

I expected this typical kind of response. We all have those supporters who struggle to take off the rosy coloured glasses.

A midfield of Crouch, Jones, Steele and Ross arent going to challenge anyone.

Happy to revisit this come end of year.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah nah I did.

I expected this typical kind of response. We all have those supporters who struggle to take off the rosy coloured glasses.

A midfield of Crouch, Jones, Steele and Ross arent going to challenge anyone.

Happy to revisit this come end of year.

Few things how’d you gauge the mindset of both clubs for the game.

I will help you with the answer Steele and Cripps.

I await your response.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Few things how’d you gauge the mindset of both clubs for the game.

I will help you with the answer Steele and Cripps.

I await your response.
Steele and Cripps both had good games for each of their clubs. Jones was also good for the Saints. Besides that, the rest were ordinary. I've already mentioned a few comments above that the likes of Crouch, Byrne's and Clark were simply all poor.

Compared to Carltons mids who had better output on the game. Cerra, Hewett, Cripps and Kennedy were all solid enough. This was even without their A grader in Sam Walsh.

That's exactly where lies the problem for St Kilda this year. Too much of the workload will be left up to Steele. Jones is an okay player but he's not a match winner. Crouch? 28 and looks a shadow of his former self. The drop off in depth is significant.

The guys that Saints supporter were raving about in Jack Bytel couldn't even play in the senior squad and instead was playing in the VFL afterwards.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Steele and Cripps both had good games for each of their clubs. Jones was also good for the Saints. Besides that, the rest were ordinary. I've already mentioned a few comments above that the likes of Crouch, Byrne's and Clark were simply all poor.

Compared to Carltons mids who had better output on the game. Cerra, Hewett, Cripps and Kennedy were all solid enough. This was even without their A grader in Sam Walsh.

That's exactly where lies the problem for St Kilda this year. Too much of the workload will be left up to Steele. Jones is an okay player but he's not a match winner. Crouch? 28 and looks a shadow of his former self. The drop off in depth is significant.

The guys that Saints supporter were raving about in Jack Bytel couldn't even play in the senior squad and instead was playing in the VFL afterwards.

Just as I expected your answer shows you didn’t watch the game and you didn’t answer my question

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just as I expected your answer shows you didn’t watch the game and you didn’t answer my question
Do honestly think St Kilda went in with the right mindset for a practice game did you.

Which part of my analysis was wrong?

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do honestly think St Kilda went in with the right mindset for a practice game did you.

Which part of my analysis was wrong?

Well for starters Carlton tagged Steele with Hewitt.
StKilda left Cripps even though he was dominating.

StKilda had blokes playing in the next game and rotated accordingly.

Clear indication of the mindset of the club going into a PRACTICE MATCH.

Dogga6

All Australian
May 11, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well for starters Carlton tagged Steele with Hewitt.
StKilda left Cripps even though he was dominating.

StKilda had blokes playing in the next game and rotated accordingly.

Clear indication of the mindset of the club going into a PRACTICE MATCH.
Lol.. the blokes you were playing in the next game were mostly fringe and young players. You had your best side playing majority of the game.

I'm well aware that Steele was tagged. That's why he was pretty much your best player and hence why I said he played a great game.

While he was tagged no one else PRACTICED to stand up and help Steele out.

Indictment of where your midfield depth is at.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol.. the blokes you were playing in the next game were mostly fringe and young players. You had your best side playing majority of the game.

I'm well aware that Steele was tagged. That's why he was pretty much your best player and hence why I said he played a great game.

While he was tagged no one else PRACTICED to stand up and help Steele out.

Indictment of where your midfield depth is at.

No you didn’t. You just got on here to pot StKilda made what you thought was a safe statement saying Steele played well. The point is it’s a practice match and two sides have different plans for these. I’d suggest a new coach would be driving his team a lot harder.

You've had 1 good year in 10 years...

So no, another of the 'garbage' that's been said is actually true lol

What does the team's performance 10 years ago have to do with their draft and trade movements in 2022?

Take the trolling and baiting elsewhere thank you.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I don’t think Steele was ‘tagged’ as such.

We sat a defensive mid (Hewett) on him, who collected 28 touches himself. There was a clear design to have Hewett involved in chains of possession - Cripps>Hewett>Cerra etc.

To me a tagger is a player who’s only major objective is to stop their opponent and will only get involved on transition if they absolutely need to, eg DeBoer.

Stick to talking about the list and player movements. Trash talking your opponent belongs on club boards or the bay. Not here. Thx

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t think Steele was ‘tagged’ as such.

We sat a defensive mid (Hewett) on him, who collected 28 touches himself. There was a clear design to have Hewett involved in chains of possession - Cripps>Hewett>Cerra etc.

To me a tagger is a player who’s only major objective is to stop their opponent and will only get involved on transition if they absolutely need to, eg DeBoer.

The point was basically it was defensive mid which meant the two coaches had different mindsets for the game.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
You had your best side playing majority of the game.

Wrong.

Gresham only played about half the game and only attended 2 centre bounces.

Billings I didn’t see in the first 25 minutes of the game and didn’t play any of the last quarter, so he had 15 disposals in about half a game, on his return from injury.

Jones sat out the whole last quarter.

Membrey dominated the first half, but was the one who made way for Hayes to get a run and I didn’t see him at all in the 3rd quarter until the 29 min mark. So he took 13 marks in 3/4 of a game.

Webster didn’t play the 2nd half.

Don’t remember seeing Butler in the 3rd quarter and he definitely didn’t play in the last, so he’s another of our our best 22 who likely only played a half.

Byrnes I didn’t see in the 3rd quarter and he played 2/3 of the later game, so he had 18 disposals in at most 3/4 of the game.

So you clearly didn’t watch things too closely.

And if you reckon seasoned campaigners like Crouch and Ross and Hill are going to be going all-out in a practice game…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Operation Get Ben King.

And someone to replace Ryder.

And someone for FB/CHB, unless Battle does the trick.
Don't Think the saints Will get Ben king now with that injured knee.

Saying that freo and saints have as much of winning the 2022 flag as Putin does being Australian of the year LoL

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
St Kilda can’t really rebuild at this stage due to outside factors and the list build.

The butchering of the high end draft picks has certainly hurt them though. They went all in a few years ago with recycled players and it’s bitten them.

First and second round picks 2010-22
Jamie Cripps 24
Seb Ross 25
Daniel Markworth 35
Jack Newnes 37
Nathan Wright 24
Spencer White 25
Jack Billings 3
Luke Dunstan 18
Blake Acres 19
Paddy McCartin 1
Hugh Goddard 21
Daniel Mckenzie 22
Jack Lonie 41
Jade Gresham 18
Brandon White 40
Ben Long 25
Josh Battle 39
Hunter Clark 7
Nick Coffield 8
Oscar Claravino 35
Max King 4
Jack Bytel 41
Matt Allison 26
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera 11
Mitchito Owens 33

Since 2019, they have brought over Dan Butler, Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, Zak Jones, Ryan Abbott, Jack Higgins, Brad Crouch, Shaun McKernan,
James Frawley, Paul Hunter, Mason Wood and Tom Campbell.

Don’t get me wrong St Kilda do have talent but there isn’t enough if they want a
Flag. Max King and Jack Steele are the two A graders. While some of the rest do have talent and should be persisted with for there next flag tilt.

List of players with potential
Nick Coffield
Jade Gresham
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Hunter Clark
Jack Higgins
Tom Highmore
Cooper Sharman
Josh Battle
Ben Paton
Ryan Brynes

Who needs to move on
Seb Ross
Dan Hannerbery
Jarryn Geary
Paddy Ryder
Dean Kent
Mason Wood
Daniel Mckenzie
Tom Campbell
Darragh Joyce

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda can’t really rebuild at this stage due to outside factors and the list build.

The butchering of the high end draft picks has certainly hurt them though. They went all in a few years ago with recycled players and it’s bitten them.

First and second round picks 2010-22
Jamie Cripps 24
Seb Ross 25
Daniel Markworth 35
Jack Newnes 37
Nathan Wright 24
Spencer White 25
Jack Billings 3
Luke Dunstan 18
Blake Acres 19
Paddy McCartin 1
Hugh Goddard 21
Daniel Mckenzie 22
Jack Lonie 41
Jade Gresham 18
Brandon White 40
Ben Long 25
Josh Battle 39
Hunter Clark 7
Nick Coffield 8
Oscar Claravino 35
Max King 4
Jack Bytel 41
Matt Allison 26
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera 11
Mitchito Owens 33

Since 2019, they have brought over Dan Butler, Brad Hill, Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder, Zak Jones, Ryan Abbott, Jack Higgins, Brad Crouch, Shaun McKernan,
James Frawley, Paul Hunter, Mason Wood and Tom Campbell.

Don’t get me wrong St Kilda do have talent but there isn’t enough if they want a
Flag. Max King and Jack Steele are the two A graders. While some of the rest do have talent and should be persisted with for there next flag tilt.

List of players with potential
Nick Coffield
Jade Gresham
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Hunter Clark
Jack Higgins
Tom Highmore
Cooper Sharman
Josh Battle
Ben Paton
Ryan Brynes

Who needs to move on
Seb Ross
Dan Hannerbery
Jarryn Geary
Paddy Ryder
Dean Kent
Mason Wood
Daniel Mckenzie
Tom Campbell
Darragh Joyce

Uneducated and pretty random post.
McKenzie was a significant improver last season and looks a player of the future. Tom Campbell Darrah Joyce are cheap solid back up which all clubs have.
Ryder really??
Ross is solid.

As for the drafting you’ve named a lot of players drafted with late picks that are more that capable AFL players and a similar list could be done at AFL lists.

No idea why people chose to name

Howard
Jones
Butler
Higgins
Hill

All are playing solid AFL football and have plenty left.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
There's no hiding from the fact our midfield is a long way off really competing.

Having a fit Jones and Gresham back will help immensely as long as they can stay fit.

But we need a big leap from guys such as Clark, Bytel, Byrne's etc

It starts with playing Clark in the middle more. He was very good in their in the back end of 2020 and then again round one last year but Ratten decided to play him predominantly across half back after that.

Bytel was always going to take a bit longer after playing as little amount of footy as he has but there's no excuses for him this year, he's 3 pre seasons in and has to make his mark.

Byrnes by all reports has been one of our most impressive over the pre season but was disappointing last week.

Higgins is the other guy that is expected to spend more time in the middle this year which will be interesting.

I was desperate for us to use our first on a mid last year (unless Gibcus fell to us) and not sold NWM was a great fit but time will tell.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The Saints look set for a major list overhaul. Between 6 and 9 of their unsigned players will retire or be delisted with a couple more potentially traded. Will they rebuild or top up again?

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
The Saints look set for a major list overhaul. Between 6 and 9 of their unsigned players will retire or be delisted with a couple more potentially traded. Will they rebuild or top up again?
IMHO they have too many immediate deficiencies to 'top up' anymore. They really need injections of talent all over the ground.

LJC05

Senior List
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda

We/The Saints have been rebuilding for 10 years and have only drafted one blue chip player in Max King.

The 2019 and 2020 off season splurges of bringing in players were to get this team competitive to give hope to a fan base/commercial partners, which ironically, they couldn’t even see live and was the best incarnation of this Ratten-led team.

If they go to a full scale rebuild, then you might just lose a whole generation of fans and sponsors who can’t deal with what will be more time down the bottle of the ladder.

The footy decision would be to rebuild, but the business decision would be to up to try top up and try to find a way to at a minimum make the eight and further.

Last edited:

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda should go hard for high end picks, e.g. 2022 first and future first for GWS first, or Adelaide first.

I hope we do too.

We have a lot of players in that 24-26 year range if don't mix in young players now these guys will be too old by the time the younger ones come through.

SteeleSaints

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda simply cant afford $$$ to bottom out again, they would drown in debt. They have to find a way to remain competitive whilst also bringing in quality kids.

Last year they made the same mistake a lot of clubs make by over rating their list & then this year re-signing an under performing coach.

Last years draft IMO as much better than 2022, so if they were going to trade out players that should have occurred last year. But again it is St Kilda we are discussing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back