Club Focus St Kilda 2022 - Cordy, Phillipou, Van Es, Hotton, Keeler

AFL Club Focus
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Ok but why not in 2-3 years time?
Yeah they can but if they aren’t good enough now why would they be in 2 years time when Hill, Ross and Crouch hit 30, Jones 29

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Not a lot of top talent in that group though, Only 3 are top 20 picks and those 3 have had a few years in the system.

Gresham 2015 pick 18
Coffield 2017 pick 8
Clark 2017 pick 9
Bytel 2018 pick 41
Allison 2020 pick 26
Connolly 2019 pick 64
Byrnes 2019 pick 52
Sharman mid season rookie

They just picked up Wanganeen-Milera who looks a future jet wingman, the next few years they need to focus on drafting top talented midfielders with their first round picks. Trading for Ben King which will cost 2 first rounders will be a mistake, pick him up in 4-5 years when the new young midfield is starting to peak.
If one of those first round picks isn’t a top 3 to 5 pick, it’s going to cost more than two first round picks.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
St Kilda’s midfield by round 1 2022
Ryder 34
Hannebery 31
Ross 28
Crouch 28
Hill 28
Jones 27
Steele 26
Marshal 26
Gresham 24

You think that group is 2-3 seasons from competing? to me that age group looks like a group that should be competing now which is I suggested they should of gone after Tom Mitchell to maximise that group now.
Here’s the thing with that group though. Hanners has played a handful of games for us in his 3 years at the club, so he’s someone we now just look at as “if we get anything at all out of him that’s a bonus, if we don’t, then it’s business as usual”.

While Ross is more just a “bit part player” who we plug in wherever we can find a spot, or feel we need him, whether that be on the wing, high half-forward, on the ball, tagging, or across HB. Many in our board on here don’t want him in the team at all, so we’re clearly not resting our hopes on him, either. He’s just a “role player” now.

Hill is the next oldest, but he now looks pretty locked in across HB, so he’s not necessarily in the midfield equation any more. He is a quick outside type with mega-endurance though, so you’d be hoping he’s still got at least 5 more good years in him. And wing is still an option, if required.

After that you’d be hoping all the remaining guys would still be in their prime in 2-3 years, except maybe Crouch, but he’s not anything amazing, and ideally we’ll be hoping guys like Clark, Bytel and Byrnes push him out by then. Or that we’ve gotten an upgrade through a trade/FA.

Then there’s Ryder. He’s obviously extremely important now, but at the end of the day, Marshall plays by far his best footy in the No.1 ruck role, so if Ryder goes this year and we do happen to get Bing, you’d think Marshall just goes into the no.1 ruck role, and someone like Bing does the back-up. Otherwise, we go shopping again to see if we can find someone else for the ruck

We finished 5th last year (which a much worse/less experienced midfield than the one we’d be hoping to field next year) and were hoping to go at least one week further into the finals this year, so I see no reason to expect that we won’t be aiming similarly highly next year, given our team on paper looks likely to be significantly better/more capable than the one we generally fielded when we came 5th. As long as we’re able to get enough of them back on the park again of course.

Another injury run anything like last season and that’s not likely to happen obviously.

So while I agree that we’re probably more likely to be most capable of winning a flag in 2-3 years time, I don’t see any reason why we couldn’t be at least as good as we were in 2020, next season.

The fact that such an incredible amount went wrong/against us this year, yet we still only dropped 5 spots, and didn’t go into freefall, augurs well for us going forward, if we can get our s**t together.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Less a “win now” approach than an acknowledgment that our previous 7-8 years draft performance was an unmitigated disaster and we needed some half decent senior players to plug huge gaps.

Going to be a fairly young squad end of next year once Geary, Ryder and Hannebery move on. Think Hill will be the oldest player at 29.

Still think we are 2-3 seasons away from competing with the big boys.
The majority of the heat 22 is 24-27 years old now.

at the start of 2025 season (3 seasons from now)
Crouch - 31
Hill - 31
Ross - 31
Jones - 30
Membrey - 30
Sinclair - 30
Wilkie - 29
Steele - 29
Marshall - 29
Billings - 29
Howard - 29

probably be good to go then - but can imagine a pretty sharp drop off not too long later. Not giving yourself a huge crack at it.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
It’s just a pretty bog ordinary midfield, after Steele.
Bog ordinary is an overstatement but we definitely need one maybe two to really step up into elite category. Probably not dissimilar to Brisbane actually.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
The majority of the heat 22 is 24-27 years old now.

at the start of 2025 season (3 seasons from now)
Crouch - 31
Hill - 31
Ross - 31
Jones - 30
Membrey - 30
Sinclair - 30
Wilkie - 29
Steele - 29
Marshall - 29
Billings - 29
Howard - 29

probably be good to go then - but can imagine a pretty sharp drop off not too long later. Not giving yourself a huge crack at it.

If Crouch and Ross haven’t been pushed out by 2025 then we are toast.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
We finished 5th last year... our team on paper looks likely to be significantly better/more capable than the one we generally fielded when we came 5th.
That's nice but a 5th place finish in a shortened home and away season with shortened game time is not an indication of the Saint Kildas capabilities. The Saint Kildas do not have a good list which means they are going to be struggle next year because other teams do have good lists- much better than Saint Kildas. I told you at the start of season 2021 that Saint Kildas would not make finals and Dees would, but you didn't listen. I was right then and I am right now. Saint Kildas are not going to make finals, and even if they do, so what. Steele and some b-graders (i am being generous here) are not going to match midfields like Westerns, Demons, Port Power, BearLions, Giants all else being equal.

Bog ordinary is an overstatement but we definitely need one maybe two to really step up into elite category. Probably not dissimilar to Brisbane actually.
LOL.

Neale was the best player in the league prior to injury this year. McCluggage at 23 years old has 2 AA nominations already, Flog Zorko has 5 b&fs, 1 AA team and 1 AA nomination, Zac Bailey is a first round pick only 22 years old and looks like he's going to be a superstar too.

Edit: Rayner coming back too, he'll be a beast shortly.

BearLions midfield smashes Saint Kildas. It's not even close.

Last edited:

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not a lot of top talent in that group though, Only 3 are top 20 picks and those 3 have had a few years in the system.

Gresham 2015 pick 18
Coffield 2017 pick 8
Clark 2017 pick 9
Bytel 2018 pick 41
Allison 2020 pick 26
Connolly 2019 pick 64
Byrnes 2019 pick 52
Sharman mid season rookie

They just picked up Wanganeen-Milera who looks a future jet wingman, the next few years they need to focus on drafting top talented midfielders with their first round picks. Trading for Ben King which will cost 2 first rounders will be a mistake, pick him up in 4-5 years when the new young midfield is starting to peak.

Seriously your not using the not much top end talent line and using draft position to justify it.

Seriously your not using the not much top end talent line and using draft position to justify it.
The best talent gets drafted early. These guys haven’t shown anything to suggest they were overlooked.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's nice but a 5th place finish in a shortened home and away season with shortened game time is not an indication of the Saint Kildas capabilities. The Saint Kildas do not have a good list which means they are going to be struggle next year because other teams do have good lists- much better than Saint Kildas. I told you at the start of season 2021 that Saint Kildas would not make finals and Dees would, but you didn't listen. I was right then and I am right now. Saint Kildas are not going to make finals, and even if they do, so what. Steele and some b-graders (i am being generous here) are not going to match midfields like Westerns, Demons, Port Power, BearLions, Giants all else being equal.

LOL.

Neale was the best player in the league prior to injury this year. McCluggage at 23 years old has 2 AA nominations already, Flog Zorko has 5 b&fs, 1 AA team and 1 AA nomination, Zac Bailey is a first round pick only 22 years old and looks like he's going to be a superstar too.

BearLions midfield smashes Saint Kildas. It's not even close.
Saint Kildas might not make finals next year but St Kilda is every chance too.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Nah, not an overstatement at all, and nothing like Brisbane’s midfield group either. We’ve got far more young, exciting talent pushing our best 22, and more coming next year.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Seems fair enough really, every team has players that went 40+ in the draft but the chances of them becoming superstars like Gawn, Rance, McGovern etc. is pretty bloody slim innit.

And it's not like your recruiting team are known for finding lots of gemstones amongst all the dirt and pebble. I assume every involved with picking McCartin over Petracca has been sacked but yeah. Couple of nice trades in butler (maybe) and steele (definitely) but spotting good young talent isn't something saint kildas is really know for as far as I'm concerned anyway.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
He was doing that against everyone this year.
This is going to turn into a how did we get rid of Dunstan thread now isn't it.

Pretty incredible for a team to win the flag and then pick up the brownlow medalist. Doesn't seem fair.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Seems fair enough really, every team has players that went 40+ in the draft but the chances of them becoming superstars like Gawn, Rance, McGovern etc. is pretty bloody slim innit.

And it's not like your recruiting team are known for finding lots of gemstones amongst all the dirt and pebble. I assume every involved with picking McCartin over Petracca has been sacked but yeah. Couple of nice trades in butler (maybe) and steele (definitely) but spotting good young talent isn't something saint kildas is really know for as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Rowan Marshall
Callum Wilkie
Jack Sinclair
Ben Paton

Also Cooper Sharman looks a fantastic prospect. All rookies.

I’d say that’s a fantastic haul of players

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
St Kilda do have a strange list profile as others have said. I expect them to make finals in 2022 (Really there is no excuse for missing this time) but I also don't expect them to contend until King is 24-25 and approaching his prime. The midfield is definitely the biggest worry as I actually think they have a solid back 6 and the forwardline has plenty of options. They'll need Steele to at least match his excellent 2021 because I don't see anyone else in their midfield group jumping up significantly from C/D to B grade or B to A.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Nah, not an overstatement at all, and nothing like Brisbane’s midfield group either. We’ve got far more young, exciting talent pushing our best 22, and more coming next year.
I'll take your word for it. Hopefully your midfield can start turning it into finals wins. We've won the same number of finals as you over the last two years which is pretty incredible.

This is going to turn into a how did we get rid of Dunstan thread now isn't it.

Pretty incredible for a team to win the flag and then pick up the brownlow medalist. Doesn't seem fair.
Well for a team that ranked 11th in clearances and 11th for inside 50’s it was a bit strange to delist your 2nd best clearance and number inside 50 player. Obviously backing the younger guys to step up and get more mid time.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well for a team that ranked 11th in clearances and 11th for inside 50’s it was a bit strange to delist your 2nd best clearance and number inside 50 player. Obviously backing the younger guys to step up and get more mid time.

He kicks the ball as badly as anyone I’ve seen play AFL. Inside 50 stats are useless.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I liked Dunstan, but he was too much of what we already had.

Plus with Gresh returning, Hunter Clark moving into the midfield and us wanting to game games in Bytel, he was well down the pecking order with a fit list.

Back