Analysis St.Kilda a peculiar but addictive dessert. Solutions Part three.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
i think it's time we held our board and admisistrators to a higher standard. We elect them, have them appointed and gaze, starry eyed at their amazing CVs, career achievements and self promotion. As I found out to my chagrin, when researching how the genders lie in CVs, I concluded that everyone lies in these documents. Interestingly, men lied more than women and there was a difference in lying styles. Men exaggerated their achievements and took credit for things they had nothing to do with. Women were more collegiate, gave credit to others, but stil piggybacked in on things they had no influence on. I made a business, as an ex detective, in rooting out the lies in CV's. There was no shortage of business.

I digress. Now to our Board. I propose a new system of accountability. How about we test our board members. They should be familiar with the scientific method, so they can distinguish between noise, shouting and hysteria. They should also do basic accounting and stats, so they can tell us what the numbers mean and if we're all being done over.

Next, they should supply a vision for the future, not some vague ideas they had on the piss one night with friends, but a proper, stepped out Document with measurable outcomes. As in, my mission is to I increase membership by 20 % over the next three years. When they fail to meet their targets, they are automatically dismissed, and replaced.

You see, the boards of football clubs are a reflection of our so called "democracy". Does Canberra of late look different to our football club? Where self interest (Hello Matt Finnis), ambition, backstabbing and organisational climbing are the priorities, not the health of our football club. How many of you can name our board members off the top of your heads? How many can reel off their achievements? How many of us can say what their aims, expertise and goals are. None, I'd suggest. In some way we are all shareholders, so why do we demand so little of them? Once a year they front us, if we're lucky, and we get a chance to ask them.
If a private company was run like the saints it would've ceased to exist long ago.

For too long, football politics have reflected government. Egos, self interest, big noting and the relentless and ruthless pursuit of power, not for the benefit of the club and members, but those of the protagonists in a vain attempt to boost their own stocks. We just happen to be really bad at this process. I'm sure Hawthorn, the swines, Geelong et al. have similar campaigners to us, but they obviously have more who know what to do. Put them to the test from now on. It's the future. You know it makes sense.

Last edited:
i think it's time we held our board and admisistrators to a higher standard. We elect them, have them appointed and gaze, starry eyed at their amazing CVs, career achievements and self promotion. As I found out to my chagrin, when researching how the genders lie in CVs, I concluded that everyone lies in these documents. Interestingly, men lied more than women and there was a difference in lying styles. Men exaggerated their achievements and took credit for things they had nothing to do with. Women were more collegiate, gave credit to others, but stil piggybacked in on things they had no influence on. I made a business, as an ex detective, in rooting out the lies in CV's. There was no shortage of business.

I digress. Now to our Board. I propose a new system of accountability. How about we test our board members. They should be familiar with the scientific method, so they can distinguish between noise, shouting and hysteria. They should also do basic accounting and stats, so they can tell us what the numbers mean and if we're all being done over.

Next, they should supply a vision for the future, not some vague ideas they had on the piss one night with friends, but a proper, stepped out Document with measurable outcomes. As in, my mission is to I increase membership by 20 % over the next three years. When they fail to meet their targets, they are automatically dismissed, and replaced.

You see, the boards of football clubs are a reflection of our so called "democracy". Does Canberra of late look different to our football club? Where self interest (Hello Matt Finnis), ambition, backstabbing and organisational climbing are the priorities, not the health of our football club. How many of you can name our board members off the top of your heads? How many can reel off their achievements? How many of us can say what their aims, expertise and goals are. None, I'd suggest. In some way we are all shareholders, so why do we demand so little of them? Once a year they front us, if we're lucky, and we get a chance to ask them.
If a private company was run like the saints it would've ceased to exist long ago.

For too long, football politics have reflected government. Egos, self interest, big noting and the relentless and ruthless pursuit of power, not for the benefit of the club and members, but those of the protagonists in a vain attempt to boost their own stocks. We just happen to be really bad at this process. I'm sure Hawthorn, the swines, Geelong et al. have similar campaigners to us, but they obviously have more who know what to do. Put them to the test from now on. It's the future. You know it makes sense.
What you're suggesting would (in my ignorant understanding) be to introduce a new constitution for the administration of the club. The big unanswered issue is; how to do it? How can the members force a document of Conducts, Measures and Accountabilities onto the clubs hierarchy? It "should" be possible, but I've no idea..

• Banned
What you're suggesting would (in my ignorant understanding) be to introduce a new constitution for the administration of the club. The big unanswered issue is; how to do it? How can the members force a document of Conducts, Measures and Accountabilities onto the clubs hierarchy? It "should" be possible, but I've no idea..

You are right. Of course, SD. It would take a paradigm shift, no change in the Zeitgeist to make it happen. We, the members are the best chance to change the constitution. Let's exercise our power. God knows the last 145 years have produced stuff all. Might be time to change things up a bit.

Last edited:
Short of a popular uprising I'm not sure how you get that done. Footy club boards will always be a combination of the successful being recruited to be on a board, those looking to put "board member" on a CV, and the rare "I have the combination of ability and resources and my footy clubs needs me" people.

Unfortunately the usual method for significant structural change at a footy club is the Extraordinary General Meeting, which are always damaging and really expensive.

I would suggest small incremental change - the reservation of one spot on the board for a non-coterie paid up member to provide oversight on all board decisions. A variation on Bill Simmons' "General Manager of Common Sense" - a director who is not involved in decision making per se, but gives a final look when a proposal is ready to be voted on by the board.

You are right. Of course, SD. It would take a paradigm shift, no change in the Zeitgeist to make it happen. We, the members are the best chance to change the constitution. Let's exercise our power. glory be knows the last 145 years have produced glory be all. Might be time to change things up a bit.
Well, no administration or rival group would ever willingly accept such a thing, so the only option is to have it voted on by the members. Maybe some of the rusted on group would have some ideas about the mechanisms available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back