Should current players be picked?

• Yes

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The voting will start sometime tomorrow.

I have seen a game on the Adelaide board which I like the look of. Basically a category is chosen and then participants have to make a best 22 using players that fit that category. Anyone interested?
Sounds interesting... do go on

Yeah that sounds interesting, is it draft-style?
Nah. It'll probably be each day I just post a new category and you guys can make teams. No real competition although I'm sure it'll end up being one

Are we done?

Two players who came under serious consideration for my last pick were Pat Hartnett and Ian Rowland. But upon the discovery of Harold Davies I felt I needed some Depth in defence with the starting 6 the only defenders in the team at that stage.

I still want to share the players with you however as I think they should've been drafted somewhere and I did enjoy researching them, in the end I just already had enough midfielders and forwards and not enough defenders so I opted for Davies.

Here are the write ups as they were going to be...

cfhar001-006_hartnett.jpg

Pick #172: Pat Hartnett
180cm - 79kg

Patrick Harnett played just 66 games and kicked 58 goals for the Saints, playing in 1930 and 1934-1937. Another Saints player from Tasmania, originally from North Launceston he played or the Saints in 1930 and traveled home for the next few seasons before returning and producing a more successful stint. In those 4 seasons he was in our top 3 Brownlow vote-getters in 3 of those 4 seasons (1934 with 9 votes,1935 with 8 votes and 1937 with 7 votes) proving him to be one of the most important players of our team in that time. He represented Victoria in 1935 and in a match against South Australia he kicked 6 goals. He completed his career playing at Brighton in the VFA (in those days) and was Brighton's first Recorder Cup winner (now known as the J.J Liston Trophy). In 2005 he was one of the original inductees into the Tasmanian Hall of Fame. He kicked 49 goals from his last 49 games as a St Kilda player, providing a solid forward target.

0e601304-5c44-442d-9932-a5d02f520cf4.jpg

Pick #172: Ian Rowland
173cm - 75kg

Ian Rowland played 109 games for 97 goals as a rover/forward from 1960 to 1966. He was the St Kilda leading goal kicker in just his second season in 1961 with 26 goals. With our 1966 grand final victory taking all the attention, our 1965 grand final loss to Essendon seems very forgotten. Despite that, perhaps it was the beginning of the fact our best on grand final day usually isn't one of or best well known players (Ian Cooper in 1966, Stuart Trott might've been our best in 1971, Jason Gram in 2009). Ian Rowland seems to be our best player in our 1965 loss, being our leading possession getter with 20 disposals and kicking 2 goals (behind Verdun Howells with 3, equal with the Doc with 2). He had 35 shots on goal, about 2 a game in 1965 with 18 goals 17. The following year he had a better return with 19 goals, but turned out to be a hard luck story of yester-year, missing out on our 1966 grand final win, he didn't play for us again but provided great service for what time he did have with us, popped up with a goal most games and was a solid accumulator when playing through the midfielder, and he did both of those in that 1965 grand final, quite possibly the most important game in his career since he missed out on our premiership the following year.

Not all the clubs would be able too anyway, such as GCS, GWS, probably Fremantle and the newer teams, but hopefully Geelong, Richmond etc get going.
You'd have to make sure each board has the same number of teams as we did, otherwise the talent will be more or less spread out either way.

You'd have to make sure each board has the same number of teams as we did, otherwise the talent will be more or less spread out either way.

Yeah definitely.
My thoughts (not all clubs would be interested probably, but if they are)

Adelaide: Possible 4 teams?
Brisbane: Probably 8 teams, with the Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions allowed.
Carlton: 8 teams.
Collingwood: 8 teams
Essendon: 8 teams
Fremantle: Possibly 4 teams.
Fitzroy: 8 teams. (could be done on the Fitzroy board, think it will get some interest from old fans and would be worthwhile on their board which is supposed to be reflecting on their club and history)
Geelong: 8 teams
Gold Coast: can't play.
GWS: can't play
Hawthorn: 8 teams
Melbourne: 8 teams (already starting to play)
North Melbourne: 8 teams
Port Adelaide: 8 teams (if we allow using their SANFL players before they were entered into the AFL, since Port Adelaide was an existing team in the highest state competition much like the Vic clubs were in the Vic competition)
Richmond: 8 teams
Sydney/South Melbourne: 8 teams
West Coast: 4 teams
Western Bulldogs: 8 teams

So a possible Adelaide vs Fremantle vs West Coast, or if Port only use their AFL players include them.
And then the rest of the teams and us against eachother with even amounts.

AND, for you goodie23 (I took the audacious step of naming them),

UNCLE BARRELS' BARBARIANS -v- GOODIE23's GLADIATORS

FB: Rodger HEAD / Zac DAWSON / Jack DAVIS

FF: Keith ROSEWARNE /Tony LOCKETT / Roy CAZALY

HB: Eric GUY (vc) / Matt MAGUIRE / Jim GUYATT
HF: Luke BEVERIDGE / Dave McNAMARA / John STEPHENS

CR: Brendon GODDARD / Ian STEWART / Neil BESANKO
CR: Robbie MUIR / Lance OSWALD / Dean RICE

HF: Ian COOPER / Barry HALL / Jack McDONALD
HB: Jack NEWNES / Jason BLAKE / Jason CRIPPS

FF: Aaron HAMILL (c) / Bill STEPHENSON / Bob FLEGG
FB: Barry LAWRENCE / Russell MORRIS / Bob MURRAY

RK: Lazar VIDOVIC / Colin WATSON (vc) / Barry PASCOE
RK: Carl DITTERICH / Daryl GRIFFITHS / David ARMITAGE

IC: Brian MYNOTT / Vic BARWICK / Harry MOYES / Harold COMTE
IC: Jarryn GEARY / Ross OAKLEY / Paddy McCARTIN / Charlie BAKER
Again, the midfield is going to be a great stoush, in fact its practically identical. Pascoe and Armitage go up against one another, Griffiths and Watson match each other for drive and Oswald and Stewart is a battle of two masters of the craft.
Tactically, there's not so much movement this time:
- Dawson remains on Lockett; let's face it, who's going to entirely stop the big fella in full flight? At least Dawson's longer arms might get in the way.
- Guy remains on half back as Beveridge's lack of speed mean he's not exposed. Helps out on Plugger too.
- Davis' extra height goes some way to curbing Cazaly's legendary leap.
- Besanko matches up on Rice in terms of body strength, whilst Goddard and Muir (probably literally) go head-to-head.
- McDonald to run off Cripps and use his long kicking to the deep forwards.
- Flegg gives up height to Murray, but will keep him honest, and Hamill physically challenges Lawrence.
- Morris moves to full back where he is the same size as Stephenson.

The potential for violence is immense, with some very angry men on both sides;

Dawson (on the angries) v Lockett*
Goddard v Muir
Vidovic v Ditterich

Jack Newnes and Aaron Hamill may set their sights on each other as well...

* Dawson will need his own ambulance post-game
RIP Zac Dawson.

Vidovic vs Ditterich would be amazing.

Ever since my first pick I've thought of my team as the Not Quite Saints, what with Ditterich, Plugger and Muir (and I was about ready to get O'Dea)

Zac Dawson for MOTM.

He'll run rings around Lockett

Zac Dawson for MOTM.

He'll run rings around Lockett
That stretcher cart does have a good turning circle...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RIP Zac Dawson.

Vidovic vs Ditterich would be amazing.

Ever since my first pick I've thought of my team as the Not Quite Saints, what with Ditterich, Plugger and Muir (and I was about ready to get O'Dea)
Fixed. :D

Upon reflection want to make a minor change to my team, can't have the club's first Coleman medalist on the pine

B: Barry Lawrence, Bob Murray, Russell Morris
HB: Jack Newnes, Jason Blake, Jason Cripps
C: Robbie Muir, Lance Oswald, Dean Rice
HF: Charlie Baker, Dave McNamara, John Stephens
FF: Keith Rosewarne, Tony Lockett, Roy Cazaly
F: Carl Ditterich, Daryl Griffiths, David Armitage
I/C: Jarryn Geary, Ross Oakley, Paddy McCartin, Luke Beveridge

Team 6 - Half Back Pocket's Predators
FB: Tim Pekin / Max Hudghton / Jamie Shanahan
HB: Dean Anderson / Ian Synman / Michael Roberts
C: Russell Greene / Greg Burns / Tony Brown
HF: Craig O'Brien / Stewart Loewe/ Rod Owen
FF: Sam Loxton / Bill Mohr / Jack Billings
R: Kevin Neale / Alan Morrow / Jack Steven
I/C: Rod Keogh / Matthew Young / Paul Callery / Dean Matthews

Team 6 - Half Back Pocket's Predators
FB: Tim Pekin / Max Hudghton / Jamie Shanahan
HB: Dean Anderson / Ian Synman / Michael Roberts
C: Russell Greene / Greg Burns / Tony Brown
HF: Craig O'Brien / Stewart Loewe/ Rod Owen
FF: Sam Loxton / Bill Mohr / Jack Billings
R: Kevin Neale / Alan Morrow / Jack Steven
I/C: Rod Keogh / Matthew Young / Paul Callery / Dean Matthews
128194-ricky-nixon.jpg

:D

This was an awesome thread! Such a fantastic idea.

Interesting to reflect on some of the selections. Not sure Ahmed Saad would still get picked up :huh:

Back