Votes: 18 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

615248c54bce8439de0e4399516c3174.jpg

Alright lets freaking do this!

The last spot on my team goes to my old man's favourite player, who in fact rounds out my team nicely with a bit of x-factor that hasn't been there so far.

Phil Narkle - 178cm, 72kg - quick and exciting wingman

Phil is most well known due to his sizable headwear of choice on gameday after sustaining 5 concussions in his debut season at WAFL level. What he did bring to the table was a ferocious pace and tenacity for the game. He had sublime skills and superb evasiveness that held him in good stead to get himself on the outside and use his speed to burn off opponents and deliver pin point passes into the forward 50.

Sadly, his time at St Kilda only lasted 48 games for 37 goals, starting at the club in 1984 after previously helping Swan Districts to consecutive premierships, as well as being awarded the Sandover and Medallists Medals for the best and fairest in the WAFL and WANFL colts. A scintillating prospect, but a tantalizing one also, due to his recurring injury issues. He finds himself on the last place in my bench..

The final touches have been made to Felsty's Fighters, and here they are..

FF_logo.jpg

FB: Harold Matthews / Keith Drinan (VC) / Col Williamson
179cm, 83kg / 182cm, 83kg / 185cm, 85kg
two time b'n'f winner / ferocious ex-captain / uncomprimising tall

HB: Justin Peckett / Gary Colling / Jim O'Dea

182cm, 87kg / 188cm, 87kg / 185cm, 91 kg
timeless warrior / relentless & reliable / Collingwood basher

C: Geoff Cunningham / Lenny Hayes (C) / Stuart Trott
183cm, 83kg / 186cm, 87kg / 177cm, 76kg
intimidating wingman / tough, inspiring leader / skillful wingman

HF: John Shelton / Brian Gleeson / Travis Payze
178cm, 83kg / 188cm, 82kg / 185cm, 89kg
goal & opponent kicker / Brownlow winning CHF / possie accumulator

FF: Justin Koschitzke / Mark Scott / Jack James

197cm, 97kg / 196cm, 80kg / 165cm, 61kg
contested marking monster / tall sharp shooter / diminutive & highly skilled

R: Peter Everitt / Nick Dal Santo / Reg Garvin

203cm, 108kg / 185cm, 85kg / 182cm, 87kg
mobile, hitout machine / genuine silk & class / determined & tough

IC: Ken Walker / Gordon Dangerfield / Ernie Sellars / Phil Narkle

183cm, 83kg / 182cm, 83kg / 170cm, 66kg / 178cm, 72kg
consecutive b'n'f's / reliable defender / diminutive FF / skillful with x factor​

GAMES PLAYED: 3344 games (avg. 152)
GOALS KICKED: 1371 goals (avg. 62.32)

PREMIERSHIP PLAYERS: 1
BROWNLOW MEDALS (with the club): 1
BEST & FAIRESTS: 14
CLUB CAPTAINS: 8
NORM SMITH MEDALISTS: 1
STATE REPRESENTATIVES: ?
LEADING GOALKICKER AWARDS: 12

'The Average Fighter' - IS - Luke Ball
Height: 183.6cm - Height: 184cm
Weight: 83.5kg - Weight: 83kg
Games: 152 - Games: 142
Goals: 62 - Goals: 58

r270730_1137897.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My selection is also controversial Defacto.

Last place on the bench goes to my all-time favourite St Kilda player...he's also my best mate and an absolute legend!!!

Selected with Pick 43 in the 1994 Draft, a Bevo special selection from Bulleen Temp in the Ammos

Played all the Pre Season games in '95, and 1 game against the Crows in Adelaide...including 5 bounces down the wing.

He returned to the Ammos to play 300+ games, numerous B&Fs, Goalkicking awards, State Rep x 14, State Captain x 4, 2 x premiership player

Dean Matthews - interchange

img331.jpg

Pick #172: Harold Davies
179cm – 75kg

Harold Davies began his career as a Half Forward, he came 6th in our goal kicking in his first season, 1953, with 9 goals from 14 games. The next season he came 5th in our goal kicking in his second season, with 10 goals from 14 games. With his return underwhelming, he requested to be dropped such was his low level of confidence so that he could work on his game. He returned the next season as a re-invented player, now a quality half back flanker. A few years ago if you were to think of a silky Saint you’d think of Nick Dal Santo, in the 1950s you thought of Harold Davies. He was exceptionally quick, made great decisions and in those days was the very definition of skilful. He had an accurate and penetrating kick with a smooth kicking action and used it much to his teammate’s advantage when setting up play from half back. He was also a terrific mark for his size, and could take on an opponent 3-4 inches taller if he was desperately needed at full back. From then he played 43 games in the next 3 seasons as a fantastic back flanker, becoming one of the premier defenders of the league. He then was chosen to represent Victoria in 1957, the same year that he finished 5th in the Brownlow Medal with 14 votes from 15 games. Halfway through the next season he sustained a serious injury to his knee, he returned to football the following year and eeked out some more games but his knee troubled him. He was forced into retirement at just 26 years of age, with his final two seasons being injury riddled, he could never reach the heights of his season when aged 24, was selected for Victoria and was a top 5 in the Brownlow. Who knows what he could’ve achieved with a full career. He ended up playing 85 games for 20 goals and went down as one of the best half backs of the 50s.

He will add some depth to the backline.

12Chill’s Chargers (12Chill)
FB: Jeff Dunne / Bill Cubbins (c) / Sean Dempster
HB: David Grant / Val Perovic / Robert Elphinstone
C: Leigh Montagna / Andrew Thompson / Frank Coghlan
HF: Allan Davis / Rodney Galt / Bruce Duperouzel
FF: John McIntosh / Fraser Gehrig / George Morrissey
R: Jeff Sarau / Robert Harvey (dvc) / Ross Smith (vc)
I/C: Vic Cumberland / Billy Schmidt / Barney Carr / Harold Davies

My selection is also controversial Defacto.

Last place on the bench goes to my all-time favourite St Kilda player...he's also my best mate and an absolute legend!!!

Selected with Pick 43 in the 1994 Draft, a Bevo special selection from Bulleen Temp in the Ammos

Played all the Pre Season games in '95, and 1 game against the Crows in Adelaide...including 5 bounces down the wing.

He returned to the Ammos to play 300+ games, numerous B&Fs, Goalkicking awards, State Rep x 14, State Captain x 4, 2 x premiership player

Dean Matthews - interchange

love it!!! whats your mate doing now?

image.jpg

Pick 174 - Uncle Barrels' Barbarians: Bob FLEGG, Ormond (VAFA)/Sandringham (178cm 77kg): goalkicking machine

St Kilda Career: 18 games (47 goals)
St Kilda leading goalkicker: 1941

Flegg was clearly a superb forward, who was tragically taken well before his time, and takes his rightful spot in the forward pocket, with Mynott moving to the bench.

An undeniable talent, in 1937 - at only 18 years old - Flegg kicked a mighty 130 goals from full forward for the fledgling Ormond Football Club in the VAFA, before transferring to Sandringham (then of the VFA) for seven games in 1940/41 where he kicked an incredible 26 goals.

Poached by the Saints for the 1941 season, the now 22 year old Flegg dutifully topped the goalkicking with 47 goals after the sudden retirement of legendary spearhead Bill Mohr, including kicking 7.6 in a two-point loss - in only his second game - against Geelong in round 2, in the first game at Kardinia Park. He kicked further bags of 5, 6 and 7 against Essendon, eventual premiers Melbourne and Carlton in the next three rounds, and a further bag of 5 - again against Geelong - in round 15. In a team that won only 3 of 18 games for the season, Flegg was clearly a standout.

Sadly, the war called and Flegg signed on with the RAAF. He was attached to the 70 Squadron RAF and served on transport and bombing missions in North Africa and over Europe. On 7 July 1944, the Vickers Wellington X bomber MF138 piloted by the now-WO Flegg was shot down over Feuersbrunn, Austria with the loss of all on board; he was not yet 26.

He is buried with his crew in Klagenfurt War Cemetery, Klagenfurt, Austria.

Though I can't specifically identify Flegg from the above photo of the 70th - it's the not the bloke marked 'me' - it's tempting to assume the lad in the second row with the Aussie-style slouch hat may be our fella.

A clear talent, taken way too young.

*with the greatest of thanks to Alan Storr, and the good people at 70squadron.roselake.co.uk, footystats.freeservers.com and afltables.com.

Last edited:
Back