Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
This has been a heap of fun, would be good to see it on other boards imo to see how the Saints history of players stacks up against the ogther teams, and it would be pretty interesting, perhaps at the end make a thread on the main board to see which clubs are interested? I'd love to see that happen, perhaps when the best team from the other boards are decided for each club that took part, further voting goes on with the best from each club selected against eachother? Just a random idea haha, would be cool to see in my opinion, not sure what others think.

Happy with most of my selections, but I really wanted Colin Watson... grrrr Barrels! Best of luck to all for whenever this is finished to see who comes out on top. How many non participating members have been actively following the thread I wonder?

also lol Barrels only had one player over 195cm. Surprising.

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Scorchers, Glory, Southampton
This has been a heap of fun, would be good to see it on other boards imo to see how the Saints history of players stacks up against the ogther teams, and it would be pretty interesting, perhaps at the end make a thread on the main board to see which clubs are interested? I'd love to see that happen, perhaps when the best team from the other boards are decided for each club that took part, further voting goes on with the best from each club selected against eachother? Just a random idea haha, would be cool to see in my opinion, not sure what others think.

Happy with most of my selections, but I really wanted Colin Watson... grrrr Barrels! Best of luck to all for whenever this is finished to see who comes out on top. How many non participating members have been actively following the thread I wonder?

It'd be a great idea with all the clubs doing it but I can't see it happening. The Melbourne board are doing one though

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Definitely don't have the time or energy to create something like the above right now, I will endeavour to get it done very soon though.

It's been a very successful thread so far - 23rd most replies in the Saints board history.

I'd be keen to see if anyone feels they made any mistakes in their draft? Looking back I feel I may have taken Verdun Howell a little early. Especially with Barker, Ross Smith and Carl Ditterich on the table. However we rated our backmen highly with Frawley, Fisher and Hudghton all going very quickly between picks 24 and 27. Brownlow medal and premiership winning full back though. A decent effort.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
It'd be a great idea with all the clubs doing it but I can't see it happening. The Melbourne board are doing one though

Not all the clubs would be able too anyway, such as GCS, GWS, probably Fremantle and the newer teams, but hopefully Geelong, Richmond etc get going.

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Not all the clubs would be able too anyway, such as GCS, GWS, probably Fremantle and the newer teams, but hopefully Geelong, Richmond etc get going.
Yeah, I'll see what I can do :)

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Definitely don't have the time or energy to create something like the above right now, I will endeavour to get it done very soon though.

It's been a very successful thread so far - 23rd most replies in the Saints board history.

I'd be keen to see if anyone feels they made any mistakes in their draft? Looking back I feel I may have taken Verdun Howell a little early. Especially with Barker, Ross Smith and Carl Ditterich on the table. However we rated our backmen highly with Frawley, Fisher and Hudghton all going very quickly between picks 24 and 27. Brownlow medal and premiership winning full back though. A decent effort.

Who do I regret? Hm. I went with Gehrig over Barker, but I don't really regret it since I needed a big top notch forward with Lockett, Loewe and Roo all gone and my backline looks pretty solid regardless as a final product. I wanted Robbie Muir too but took Jeff Dunne a few picks before he went, Dunne still a two time BnF winner so I can't be too disappointed. Overall I'm pretty content with most of my selections.

I'll take Greg Burns as average anyday:thumbsu:
The Chargers are pretty bloody impressive .

Thanks mate :thumbsu:

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints

I have said I felt that I jumped early on Spida when we had a bounty of solid enough rucks throughout the years and jumped at Koschitzke early on when a lot of forwards were being taken. After putting in a lot of effort in looking at our history (I was born in 1990 and hardly even remember any of the 90s or early 2000s) I definitely would have done it differently. My knowledge of Saints players has improved ten fold! In saying that I picked up some beautys later on - James, Shelton, O'Dea, even Ken Walker on my bench was a consecutive best and fairest winner!

Two. Dawson and Vidovic.

And you just had to show us all up on the detail, didn't you Chilly! :p

ST ROMNAR

Rookie
Nov 14, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
DEFACTO - fair enough Warnie was disallowed.

In our history we have had 4 Test cricketers to my knowledge, one was drafted - SAM LOXTON.
the other 3 are Simon O'Donnell, the unique JIMMY MATTHEWS, 2 hat tricks in the same match on the same day.
The final player, which I was amazed went undrafted, 50 games represented the state at fullback, a cricketer who loses nothing in comparison to Warne, the great KEITH MILLER.

12Chill, I'll do the same for you that I did for felsty...

UNCLE BARRELS' BARBARIANS -v- 12CHILL'S CHARGERS

FB: Eric GUY (vc) / Matt MAGUIRE / Rodger HEAD
FF: John McINTOSH / Fraser GEHRIG / George MORRISEY

HB: Jim GUYATT / Zac DAWSON / Harold COMTE
HF: Allan DAVIS / Rodney GALT / Bruce DUPEROUZEL

CR: Neil BESANKO / Ian STEWART / Brendon GODDARD
CR: Leigh MONTAGNA / Andrew THOMPSON / Frank COGHLAN

HF: Aaron HAMILL (c) / Barry HALL / Ian COOPER
HB: David GRANT / Val PEROVIC / Sean DEMPSTER

FF: Harry MOYES / Bill STEPHENSON / Bob FLEGG
FB: Jeff DUNNE / Robert ELPHINSTONE / William CUBBINS (c)

RK: Lazar VIDOVIC / Colin WATSON (vc) / Vic BARWICK
RK: Jeff SARAU / Robert HARVEY (dvc) / Ross Smith (vc)

IC: Brian MYNOTT / Jack DAVIS / Jack McDONALD / Barry PASCOE
IC: Vic CUMBERLAND / Billy SCHMIDT / Barney CARR / Harold DAVIES
The on-ball battle would be an absolute snorter with six Brownlows (for the club) featuring. Thompson would have to go to Stewart in a defensive role, Watson and Harvey would go head-to-head and Barwick would have to make the dangerous Smith accountable.

Otherwise;
- Guy goes to McIntosh and is told to... 'deal'... with him. Davis can swap onto him if Guy is giving away too much in the air.
- Guyatt locks down on the mercurial Davis and Comte once again is called off the pine to mind a resting rover.
- Coghlan makes Goddard accountable on the wing whilst Besanko does the same to Montagna.
- Cubbins, again an undersized full back, moves to the pocket to take Flegg, still an undersized full forward.
- Elphinstone drops back from a flank to match up on Stephenson at full back.
- Maguire moves to full back to give up less weight to a raging Gehrig.
- Dempster is given a lock-down job on the high-flying Cooper.

Not so many old-fashioned punch-ons likely to occur in this match, but the heavyweight match-ups will be:

Hall v Perovic
Vidovic v Sarau

as I don't see Grant trying to go toe-to-toe with Aaron Hamill.

Last edited:

saintkildaman

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 1, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really sorry about the wait lads, went to the south coast and I was under the impression id have reception; sadly I was wrong.

Anyway my picks are;

Leigh Fisher
Andrew McQualter

DEFACTO - fair enough Warnie was disallowed.

In our history we have had 4 Test cricketers to my knowledge, one was drafted - SAM LOXTON.
the other 3 are Simon O'Donnell, the unique JIMMY MATTHEWS, 2 hat tricks in the same match on the same day.
The final player, which I was amazed went undrafted, 50 games represented the state at fullback, a cricketer who loses nothing in comparison to Warne, the great KEITH MILLER.
Drafts not over... :rolleyes:

I was going to pick Miller - he was apparently a superb footballer, even stopping the legendary Bob Pratt one day at full back - but I decided to stick with playing a workable team, and Davis, with three B&Fs beat out Miller for a '3rd tall' spot.

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
12Chill, I'll do the same for you that I did for felsty...

UNCLE BARRELS' BARBARIANS -v- 12CHILL'S CHARGERS

FB: Eric GUY (vc) / Matt MAGUIRE / Rodger HEAD
FF: John McINTOSH / Fraser GEHRIG / George MORRISEY

HB: Jim GUYATT / Zac DAWSON / Harold COMTE
HF: Allan DAVIS / Rodney GALT / Bruce DUPEROUZEL

CR: Neil BESANKO / Ian STEWART / Brendon GODDARD
CR: Leigh MONTAGNA / Andrew THOMPSON / Frank COGHLAN

HF: Aaron HAMILL (c) / Barry HALL / Ian COOPER
HB: David GRANT / Val PEROVIC / Sean DEMPSTER

FF: Harry MOYES / Bill STEPHENSON / Bob FLEGG
FB: Jeff DUNNE / Robert ELPHINSTONE / William CUBBINS (c)

RK: Lazar VIDOVIC / Colin WATSON (vc) / Vic BARWICK
RK: Jeff SARAU / Robert HARVEY (dvc) / Ross Smith (vc)

IC: Brian MYNOTT / Harold COMTE / Jack McDONALD / Barry PASCOE
IC: Vic CUMBERLAND / Billy SCHMIDT / Barney CARR / Harold DAVIES
The on-ball battle would be an absolute snorter with six Brownlows (for the club) featuring. Thompson would have to go to Stewart in a defensive role, Watson and Harvey would go head-to-head and Barwick would have to make the dangerous Smith accountable.

Otherwise;
- Guy goes to McIntosh and is told to... 'deal'... with him. Davis can swap onto him if Guy is giving away too much in the air.
- Guyatt locks down on the mercurial Davis and Comte once again is called off the pine to mind a resting rover.
- Coghlan makes Goddard accountable on the wing whilst Besanko does the same to Montagna.
- Cubbins, again an undersized full back, moves to the pocket to take Flegg, still an undersized full forward.
- Elphinstone drops back from a flank to match up on Stephenson at full back.
- Maguire moves to full back to give up less weight to a raging Gehrig.
- Dempster is given a lock-down job on the high-flying Cooper.

Not so many old-fashioned punch-ons likely to occur in this match, but the heavyweight match-ups will be:

Hall v Perovic
Vidovic v Sarau

as I don't see Grant trying to go toe-to-toe with Aaron Hamill.

Nice, but who'd you miss? Comte is at HBF and on the Bench.

Happy with the backline though, with Cubbins an old style full back at just 180cm, very happy to have capable talls in Elphinstone, Perovic and Dempster. Midfield would be a cracker, Stewart and Watson vs Harvey and Smith as Brownlow medallists with Thompson and Barwick handy players.

Nice, but who'd you miss? Comte is at HBF and on the Bench.

Happy with the backline though, with Cubbins an old style full back at just 180cm, very happy to have capable talls in Elphinstone, Perovic and Dempster. Midfield would be a cracker, Stewart and Watson vs Harvey and Smith as Brownlow medallists with Thompson and Barwick handy players.
Fixed it just before you posted; Jack Davis initially the shafted man.

Miller sounds tempting, but I'll stick to the plan. Had three players in mind (having already used my contentious selection), might as well name the lot since it's draft over.

3rd place: Craig Davenport, 95 games, 82 goals, mostly remembered for copping an almighty spray from the coach.

2nd place: Russell Greene, handy player at the Saints in the 80's, went on to have a very good career at Hawthorn.

But my final pick is

Pick 176: Charlie Baker

Kinda fitting that the draft finishes with a player from our very early days. Played 1902-06, 76 games and a highly impressive 122 goals in that time. Topped the league goalkicking in his first season, where we finished bottom and he kicked nearly 50% of the team's goals for the year. Topped the club's goalkicking for every year but his last.

Imagine what he'd do in a decent team. How did I get a Coleman medallist with the last pick?

Final line-up:

B: Barry Lawrence, Bob Murray, Russell Morris
HB: Jack Newnes, Jason Blake, Jason Cripps
C: Robbie Muir, Lance Oswald, Dean Rice
HF: Luke Beveridge, Dave McNamara, John Stephens
FF: Keith Rosewarne, Tony Lockett, Roy Cazaly
F: Carl Ditterich, Daryl Griffiths, David Armitage
I/C: Jarryn Geary, Ross Oakley, Paddy McCartin, Charlie Baker

Quite a few bad boys in there, Mad Dog, Plugger, Big Carl would keep the opposition fearful.

Seven team of the century members (Lawrence, Murray, Oswald, McNamara, Lockett, Ditterich, Griffiths).

Seven St Kilda Hall of Famers (Lockett, Ditterich, McNamara, Murray, Griffiths, Lawrence, Oswald).

Three AFL Hall of Famers (Ditterich, Lockett, McNamara).

One club Legend (Lockett).

One AFL Hall of Fame Legend (Cazaly).

Two Coleman medallists (Baker & Lockett).

One Brownlow medallist (Plugger).

And I'm not going to count the number of Best & Fairests...

Last edited:

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Miller sounds tempting, but I'll stick to the plan. Had three players in mind (having already used my contentious selection), might as well name the lot since it's draft over.

3rd place: Craig Davenport, 95 games, 82 goals, mostly remembered for copping an almighty spray from the coach.

2nd place: Russell Greene, handy player at the Saints in the 80's, went on to have a very good career at Hawthorn.

But my final pick is

Pick 176: Charlie Baker

Kinda fitting that the draft finishes with a player from our very early days. Played 1902-06, 76 games and a highly impressive 122 goals in that time. Topped the league goalkicking in his first season, where we finished bottom and he kicked nearly 50% of the team's goals for the year. Topped the club's goalkicking for every year but his last.

Imagine what he'd do in a decent team. How did I get a Coleman medallist with the last pick?

Final line-up:

B: Barry Lawrence, Bob Murray, Russell Morris
HB: Jack Newnes, Jason Blake, Jason Cripps
C: Robbie Muir, Lance Oswald, Dean Rice
HF: Luke Beveridge, Dave McNamara, John Stephens
FF: Keith Rosewarne, Tony Lockett, Roy Cazaly
F: Carl Ditterich, Daryl Griffiths, David Armitage
I/C: Jarryn Geary, Ross Oakley, Paddy McCartin, Charlie Baker

Quite a few bad boys in there, Mad Dog, Plugger, Big Carl would keep the opposition fearful.

Seven team of the century members (Lawrence, Murray, Oswald, McNamara, Lockett, Ditterich, Griffiths).

Seven St Kilda Hall of Famers (Lockett, Ditterich, McNamara, Murray, Griffiths, Lawrence, Oswald).

Three AFL Hall of Famers (Ditterich, Lockett, McNamara).

One club Legend (Lockett).

One AFL Hall of Fame Legend (Cazaly).

Two Coleman medallists (Baker & Lockett).

One Brownlow medallist (Plugger).

And I'm not going to count the number of Best & Fairests...

Russell Greene was already selected anyway haha. And your team has 9 best and fairests between them.

AND, for you goodie23 (I took the audacious step of naming them),

UNCLE BARRELS' BARBARIANS -v- GOODIE23's NOT QUITE SAINTS

FB: Rodger HEAD / Zac DAWSON / Jack DAVIS

FF: Keith ROSEWARNE /Tony LOCKETT / Roy CAZALY

HB: Eric GUY (vc) / Matt MAGUIRE / Jim GUYATT
HF: Luke BEVERIDGE / Dave McNAMARA / John STEPHENS

CR: Brendon GODDARD / Ian STEWART / Neil BESANKO
CR: Robbie MUIR / Lance OSWALD / Dean RICE

HF: Ian COOPER / Barry HALL / Jack McDONALD
HB: Jack NEWNES / Jason BLAKE / Jason CRIPPS

FF: Aaron HAMILL (c) / Bill STEPHENSON / Bob FLEGG
FB: Barry LAWRENCE / Russell MORRIS / Bob MURRAY

RK: Lazar VIDOVIC / Colin WATSON (vc) / Barry PASCOE
RK: Carl DITTERICH / Daryl GRIFFITHS / David ARMITAGE

IC: Brian MYNOTT / Vic BARWICK / Harry MOYES / Harold COMTE
IC: Jarryn GEARY / Ross OAKLEY / Paddy McCARTIN / Charlie BAKER
Again, the midfield is going to be a great stoush, in fact its practically identical. Pascoe and Armitage go up against one another, Griffiths and Watson match each other for drive and Oswald and Stewart is a battle of two masters of the craft.
Tactically, there's not so much movement this time:
- Dawson remains on Lockett; let's face it, who's going to entirely stop the big fella in full flight? At least Dawson's longer arms might get in the way.
- Guy remains on half back as Beveridge's lack of speed mean he's not exposed. Helps out on Plugger too.
- Davis' extra height goes some way to curbing Cazaly's legendary leap.
- Besanko matches up on Rice in terms of body strength, whilst Goddard and Muir (probably literally) go head-to-head.
- McDonald to run off Cripps and use his long kicking to the deep forwards.
- Flegg gives up height to Murray, but will keep him honest, and Hamill physically challenges Lawrence.
- Morris moves to full back where he is the same size as Stephenson.

The potential for violence is immense, with some very angry men on both sides;

Dawson (on the angries) v Lockett*
Goddard v Muir
Vidovic v Ditterich

Jack Newnes and Aaron Hamill may set their sights on each other as well...

* Dawson will need his own ambulance post-game

Last edited:

felsty

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Now what do we do?
There is a massive hole in my life now.. thanks a lot TN25! :p

TN25

Premiership Player
Suspended
Sep 8, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Now what do we do?
There is a massive hole in my life now.. thanks a lot TN25! :p
The voting will start sometime tomorrow.

I have seen a game on the Adelaide board which I like the look of. Basically a category is chosen and then participants have to make a best 22 using players that fit that category. Anyone interested?

I have seen a game on the Adelaide board which I like the look of. Basically a category is chosen and then participants have to make a best 22 using players that fit that category. Anyone interested?
Yup :D

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah that sounds interesting, is it draft-style?

Back