Discussion St Kilda and Their Special Games

Remove this Banner Ad

A pity the players couldn't muster enough guts to send off our former captain with a win upon his retirement.
Maybe we’re just not that good
And 1st half of the year just another false dawn

All the stats and numbers the last 6 weeks show we are the worst or 2nd worst team going around

A pity the players couldn't muster enough guts to send off our former captain with a win upon his retirement.

We chose a different type of tribute for Gears - the players all decided to use the footy like he did as a tip of the hat. Did a bloody good job at it too :p

Or you could just look at the evidence in front of you. Like not looking at the head recruiter until Lethlean came along, despite no evidence of improvement the whole time. Same with the head coaching role. They celebrate their greatest achievement as painting the room after the last lost took a s**t in it. Even though it's put us in crippling debt which apparently stops us spending on the footy department.

We are at least spending some money on the footy department now instead of actively ignoring it but we keep hearing how we can't have anything good because it costs too much but then they find money for other stuff. I'd cut the staff down to a skeleton staff but all focussed on footy. Pay extra on the tax if need be. It's like you've got a grimy old cafe that no-one goes to and it really needs renovating but you start saving 50c a week to give it a paint job in 30 years. You'll be lucky to have cafe still, but you aren't spending much.

How long is too long to wait for them to get their s**t together? If they aren't up to it they should move on and give someone else a go.
Geez Gringo, it's a damn shame that you accept so much mediocrity!

Don’t think we need to worry about that for a while
Club is just trying not to be to sh1t and in survival mode

agree, not something we're worrying about this year - again. But thats not because of these games. Its because we're not that good.

And by not affording them you cement your position. I can guarantee Seek doesn't use that hiring policy.

Not sure what you mean... by not affording them?

We haven't been able to afford them in the past. Now that off field is stable & growing we have got well regarded people on board. I'm sure if Enright went to another club we'd be identifying him as someone we should have paid whatever for.

Unfortunately we're not a bottomless pit of $ like Seek and we also have 17 other clubs after a very limited base of talent.

how much did we receive from the AFL again last year?

our footy dept is funded. lack of $$$ is not an excuse.

It isn't an excuse anymore. Hence Rath, Roughie, Enright, etc are now employees of the club.

In the past it's been a massive issue. Especially in recruitment.

Probably why we had Jamie Cox & Richmond had Neil Balme ;)

Not sure what you mean... by not affording them?

We haven't been able to afford them in the past. Now that off field is stable & growing we have got well regarded people on board. I'm sure if Enright went to another club we'd be identifying him as someone we should have paid whatever for.

Unfortunately we're not a bottomless pit of $ like Seek and we also have 17 other clubs after a very limited base of talent.

Enright looks great and come from a great system. It's guys like Lade who've had a run and not come good that should get looked at. He's a great bloke but we need strategy and system not friends. Ratts seems bit basic and Lade seems to be from the same school of coaching.

It isn't an excuse anymore. Hence Rath, Roughie, Enright, etc are now employees of the club.

In the past it's been a massive issue. Especially in recruitment.

Probably why we had Jamie Cox & Richmond had Neil Balme ;)

oh dont get me wrong i think historically funding of the football dept and having adequate facilities was a legitimate excuse

those days are long gone. our lack of success now has nothing to do with $$$

we had jamie cox because we were silly enough to employ him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enright looks great and come from a great system. It's guys like Lade who've had a run and not come good that should get looked at. He's a great bloke but we need strategy and system not friends. Ratts seems bit basic and Lade seems to be from the same school of coaching.

Lade is copping it now (possibly rightfully so) but earlier in the season he was being lauded.

You're probably right but it comes down to who is available & interested in heading our way. It would have been great to get Leppa but who knows what the filth offered (both inside the soft cap & in 'other opportunities').

Sometimes we just cant compete.

oh dont get me wrong i think historically funding of the football dept and having adequate facilities was a legitimate excuse

those days are long gone. our lack of success now has nothing to do with $$$

we had jamie cox because we were silly enough to employ him

We had Jamie Cox because he was super highly regarded in another elite sport, had some footy background & was a shiteload cheaper than any other Footy Head around.

He didn't work out but we had a hell of a lot wrong in a hell of a lot of areas in those days.

It is funny how much you hate him though :D

I don't think you can say those days are long gone... the soft cap is as flimsy as the salary cap is. Big clubs get big names thanks to all sorts of dubious side deals.

We're certainly in a better spot than we were when it was Bevo, his station wagon and 2 interstate plane tickets every year.

They hired a close mate as their head coach who guaranteed he would bring Leppa along if he got the job.

Yeah I understand that but Leppa didn't sign there just because his mate is coaching. They made it more than worth his while.

Especially with one of his other mates at the Evil Empire on Royal Parade looking for assistants.

We had Jamie Cox because he was super highly regarded in another elite sport, had some footy background & was a shiteload cheaper than any other Footy Head around.

He didn't work out but we had a hell of a lot wrong in a hell of a lot of areas in those days.

I don't think you can say those days are long gone... the soft cap is as flimsy as the salary cap is. Big clubs get big names thanks to all sorts of dubious side deals.

We're certainly in a better spot than we were when it was Bevo, his station wagon and 2 interstate plane tickets every year.

if melbourne and the dogs can do it then so can we

also a club like brisbane made a prelim.

It's an investment though. Cheaping out shouldn't be in our repertoire. You get what you pay for and often it's not even money but talent spotting the right people early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back