St Kilda FC 'Disco' (Other teams if applicable)

Remove this Banner Ad

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was listening to a recent podcast with Robert Harvey where reference was made to the St Kilda disco parties at Moorabbin, which seem to pop up sporadically by Saints players of the 70's and 80's with reference of good/ bad stories.

Despite this, i can't seem to find much information regarding this piece of the Saints history at Moorabbin, including which year they started or finished, why they occurred, who attended, which could have an explanation?

I've also heard these types of events were common place at other clubs during this time, ranging from regular social club gatherings or regular large events, is this true?

St Kilda social club was THE place to go in the early to mid 80s. Went there often. Lotsa fun meeting players from all clubs on the p*ss. Deluded ourselves that it was a great place to meet girls. Trouble is they were only interested in the players. They’d rather walk home empty handed rather than hook up with me or my p*sshead mates. Seriously though, St Kilda gave up on being a competitive team in the 80s and settled for running the best disco in town. It took a long time to replace that culture.

I went there with a group of friends at the time I was looking for an alternative to beer. I bought an Ouzo and cola but the Ouzo was milky, which meant it was watered down. That's all that stands out in my memory.

Tony Lockett had a punch-on out the front with the club president.

Rusty Jackson's piece on Rod Owen had a few mentions of the Disco in not so positive light if you want a bit of information.

VFL clubs were just bigger versions of local footy clubs. They knew selling beers at the social club was a pretty handy way to make a few bucks.

It's not something I've done a lot of reading on but my guess is the inner city clubs probably had a bit more competition for places to go for a drink. Whilst Hawthorn were the family club and building a professional culture (which meant get hammered but keep it a little under control).

Being down at Moorabbin the Saints had a natural catchment of anyone who could get themselves up Nepean Hwy. Hardly a surprise that they would've been popular.

Rusty Jackson's piece on Rod Owen had a few mentions of the Disco in not so positive light if you want a bit of information.

VFL clubs were just bigger versions of local footy clubs. They knew selling beers at the social club was a pretty handy way to make a few bucks.

It's not something I've done a lot of reading on but my guess is the inner city clubs probably had a bit more competition for places to go for a drink. Whilst Hawthorn were the family club and building a professional culture (which meant get hammered but keep it a little under control).

Being down at Moorabbin the Saints had a natural catchment of anyone who could get themselves up Nepean Hwy. Hardly a surprise that they would've been popular.

Thanks! Just had a read. Seems like almost a place of no rules while it was in operation

St Kilda social club was THE place to go in the early to mid 80s. Went there often. Lotsa fun meeting players from all clubs on the p*ss. Deluded ourselves that it was a great place to meet girls. Trouble is they were only interested in the players. They’d rather walk home empty handed rather than hook up with me or my p*sshead mates. Seriously though, St Kilda gave up on being a competitive team in the 80s and settled for running the best disco in town. It took a long time to replace that culture.

Sorta sucks that clubs are so sanitised now, even though it's understandable. I'd love to get on the piss at Arden St

I hated that place, only went there because my friends did. Was just your average suburban weekend bogan nightclub chock a block full of pissed campaigners, playing the standard 1980s disco music ( boom boom boom lets go back to my room ).
Not sure how its achieved such legendary status.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hated that place, only went there because my friends did. Was just your average suburban weekend bogan nightclub chock a block full of pissed campaigners, playing the standard 1980s disco music ( boom boom boom lets go back to my room ).
Not sure how its achieved such legendary status.
Maybe you bumped into me and my mates…..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back