Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it means that.

It's not about decent youth, it's about youth that are capable of taking them into the top 2.

In footy, you're either on the way up, or on the way down.

Being on the way up, without having the talent to ride that upward trajectory to the top echelon of the comp is pretty much the definition of No Man's Land.

Just having decent youth is probably the definition of No Man's Land. Unless of course the existing core is really good, then decent youth might be sufficient to launch them to the top level.

But we all know St Kilda's core is not really good.

So I'd argue that the jury is out as to whether St Kilda's youth has shown enough to suggest that they'll take them to the top.

Sure they're decent. But are there any starts there? Not sure yet.

So according to this if you aren't in the Top 2 by the end of the season then you are in "No Man's Land"?

16 sides in No Man's Land

What do the Sun's have to do with it?

King will be a star. The rest I'm not sure about, although Phillipou has the attributes and seems the most likely.
Has everything do with it, what is the standard if the Saints are in no mans land and as you can see the Saints fans have listed half a dozen players who are on their way to be stars. I would just like to know what young players from the Suns who will be as good or better that the named.

Has everything do with it, what is the standard if the Saints are in no mans land and as you can see the Saints fans have listed half a dozen players who are on their way to be stars. I would just like to know what young players from the Suns who will be as good or better that the named.
What do the Suns have to do with it?

He is not a suns fan. So I wouldn’t bother.

The saints youngsters have certainly impressed me from what I’ve seen. Far more so than I expected on previous viewing.

Owens outstanding.
Phillipou solid this year, but you can see the potential for him to become bontempelli like.
NWM does nice things, still very inconsistent but you can see the class.
Caminiti raw but playing without restraint
Windhager looked primed for a big year so been a little surprised he’s taken a bit of a back seat so far.

Lovely small nucleus of talented youngsters who are showing that this thread is almost null and void (to my surprise). You must be ecstatic with what they’ve shown this year.

The Gold Coast questioning is a bit daft if you ask me. Probably couldn’t have singled out another side with as much young talent.
I’m pretty happy with the below and would take our young group over yours in the blink of an eye.

17 years: Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers (all likely top 30 picks this year)
18 years: Bailey Humphrey
19 years: Mac Andrew, Bodhi Uwland
20 years:
21 years: Matt Rowell, Alex Davies, Joel Jeffrey, Ned Moyle, Malcolm Rosas
22 years: Noah Anderson, Ben King, Jack Lukosius, Connor Budarick
23 years: Charlie Ballard, Wil Powell

That’s a sizeable group of young talent covering all positions and skill sets, who are already performing at a very high level with collective scope for vast improvement. I’ve got no doubt they all will be at the very least decent AFL players with many displaying star potential.

Jury out on Flanders and Hollands who I haven’t listed.

The yet to be drafted kids are obviously entirely unproven but add another layer to the key position depth in particular.

He is not a suns fan. So I wouldn’t bother.

The saints youngsters have certainly impressed me from what I’ve seen. Far more so than I expected on previous viewing.

Owens outstanding.
Phillipou solid this year, but you can see the potential for him to become bontempelli like.
NWM does nice things, still very inconsistent but you can see the class.
Caminiti raw but playing without restraint
Windhager looked primed for a big year so been a little surprised he’s taken a bit of a back seat so far.

Lovely small nucleus of talented youngsters who are showing that this thread is almost null and void (to my surprise). You must be ecstatic with what they’ve shown this year.

The Gold Coast questioning is a bit daft if you ask me. Probably couldn’t have singled out another side with as much young talent.
I’m pretty happy with the below and would take our young group over yours in the blink of an eye.

17 years: Jed Walter, Ethan Read, Jake Rogers (all likely top 30 picks this year)
18 years: Bailey Humphrey
19 years: Mac Andrew, Bodhi Uwland
20 years:
21 years: Matt Rowell, Alex Davies, Joel Jeffrey, Ned Moyle, Malcolm Rosas
22 years: Noah Anderson, Ben King, Jack Lukosius, Connor Budarick
23 years: Charlie Ballard, Wil Powell

That’s a sizeable group of young talent covering all positions and skill sets, who are already performing at a very high level with collective scope for vast improvement. I’ve got no doubt they all will be at the very least decent AFL players with many displaying star potential.

Jury out on Flanders and Hollands who I haven’t listed.

The yet to be drafted kids are obviously entirely unproven but add another layer to the key position depth in particular.dont take the GC shot personally Lavender is being a troll
Don't take the GC shot personally Lavender is being a troll, pretty gutless to use fake teams and hide profiles but I guess that's his go.

we'd have Cam McKenzie(Hawks) (exactly the type of midfielder we need) as well if the Academies weren't neutered and ofc. Mac Andrew would be at Melb. 3 top-30 academy picks must be nice......
Windy just had a 36-possession, 3 goal (11 inside-50s, nine clearances) VFL game, will be back this week I'd hope, has struggled a bit since his broken hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet you still ignore that we have had 3 rising star nominations from the last 11 rounds and likely another one shortly
Lewis Taylor won the actual Rising Star award! Getting nominated does not make you a star or a future star.

That's why I ignored it.

In terms of youth most sane knowledgable footy pundits would agree that we are trending in the right direction
We're not discussing heading in the right direction though.

We're talking heading towards the top 2 or top 4.

Don't take the GC shot personally Lavender is being a troll, pretty gutless to use fake teams and hide profiles but I guess that's his go.

we'd have Cam McKenzie(Hawks) (exactly the type of midfielder we need) as well if the Academies weren't neutered and ofc. Mac Andrew would be at Melb. 3 top-30 academy picks must be nice......
Windy just had a 36-possession, 3 goal (11 inside-50s, nine clearances) VFL game, will be back this week I'd hope, has struggled a bit since his broken hand.
Didn’t take it personally just thought it was odd for Mick to think suns didn’t have talented young players outside rowell and anderson.

How does st kilda run your nga?

I assume all talented nga players particupate in weekly nga training sessions with dedicated st kilda employed nga high level coaches, do pre seasons with the AFL club and have full access to all st kilda facilities?

the point of the nga is to help develop multicultural and under represented talented youngsters who otherwise wouldn’t make it to AFL level? Does st kilda have a big influence in this area? Do you know how many kids are involved in your academy programs? Developing a pipeline of affiliated youngsters through heavy investment in this area could be a big boost.

I would be pissed if you were highly involved in a players development and then they went elsewhere because they were too good given the current rule set.

Not sure you can be upset if there wasn’t a lot of investment in the player pre draft and they just happened to live in your zone but got all coaching through vic metro, school / Sandringham u18.

If that is disincentivising clubs from putting in effort then that’s a problem.

Suns have got more academy players coming through last few years thanks to significant investment in juniors. Nearly 250 boys and girls from u12.

What do the Suns have to do with it?
Each and every team has to do with the conversation, if the Saints are in no mans then how do you come to that conclusion if you aren't comparing them to the teams around them. Carlton, Doggies, Suns, Adelaide and so forth. It would be ignorant to just sit there and keep spewing out the same view without solid evidence and comparison to other teams in the same situation. Your behaviour is bordering on trolling.

Didn’t take it personally just thought it was odd for Mick to think suns didn’t have talented young players outside rowell and anderson.
Wasn't saying that Gold Coast didn't have young talent, just trying to point out that because I don't know the Suns list as well as the Saints doesn't mean that Suns don't have young talent. Lavender seems to not know very much about the Saints and is just taking pot shots for the sake of it.

How does st kilda run your nga?

I assume all talented nga players particupate in weekly nga training sessions with dedicated st kilda employed nga high level coaches, do pre seasons with the AFL club and have full access to all st kilda facilities?

the point of the nga is to help develop multicultural and under represented talented youngsters who otherwise wouldn’t make it to AFL level? Does st kilda have a big influence in this area? Do you know how many kids are involved in your academy programs? Developing a pipeline of affiliated youngsters through heavy investment in this area could be a big boost.

I would be pissed if you were highly involved in a players development and then they went elsewhere because they were too good given the current rule set.

Not sure you can be upset if there wasn’t a lot of investment in the player pre draft and they just happened to live in your zone but got all coaching through vic metro, school / Sandringham u18.

If that is disincentivising clubs from putting in effort then that’s a problem.

Suns have got more academy players coming through last few years thanks to significant investment in juniors. Nearly 250 boys and girls from u12.
it's not a go at GC, but the top 40 limit ( htf they even got top 40 when 2 rounds of 18 is 36) was ridiculous, and it's being discussed to bring it back to top 20. so that certainly help the incentive part

tbh, not sure there's much difference in them, just the rewards at the end

CG selection criteria
  • Representative performances i.e. Gold Coast U16 Regional, Queensland U16, U15 & U12 (School Boy Carnivals).
  • Club performances in own age group or above
  • Professional Attitude at Club, Academy and Representative level
  • Commitment to Academy Values
  • AFLQ/Club Recommendations
so I'm not sure either pathway is hugely different in how they find the talent to be honest.

ours had a rebrand after strengthening ties to the u19 teams, the SMJFL and Sandy VFL. a lot more stuff than just the cream, same as with yours

I didn't say that.

I didn't say that.

I didn't say that.

I didn't say Carlton were streets ahead.

Have I?

In what sense?

I don't think it means that.

I didn't say that.
These are all seperate quotes from seperate posts.

At some point you should actually make a point instead of pointing out what you didnt say.

Knock Knock Hello GIF by The Cringey Mom - Jen Campbell

knock knock

Remove this Banner Ad

Back