Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

You only managed 78 points against Hawthorn.
64 in perfect conditions v North Melbourne.
Last night just 80 points against undermanned Sydney.

Are you sure you are watching the same game as most others?
You guys aren't scoring enough.
Ross Lyon footy.
Of course we need more goals but we are also number one in defence. It is Ross Lyons job to win as many games as we can not make it a 20 goal a team shootout. I am more than comfortable at 8-4 and 5th on the ladder at the moment.

Last edited:
FWIW, those two putrid frees to Sydney that resulted in goals in the 3rd quarter were far, far worse than the two 50s. At least the 50s were actually there!

And the two 'dangerous tackles' against St Kilda that went from F50 entries to them to Rebound 50s to the Swans were probably the worst of the lot.
Umpiring across the whole game last night was horrible but no side gained an advantage from it and it didn't change the result. St.Kilda won because they took their chances and made the most out of their lucky breaks better than Sydney.

The first 50 against Sydney was unlucky as sometimes the umpire gives multiple warnings and sometimes they don't although a 50 against was the correct decision. Players know the rules and shouldn't need to be told multiple times. Tell them once then when they don't move, penalise them. Bit like the free to Wines in the last quarter tonight, correct decision but paid so rarely that Bulldogs would consider themselves unlucky.

If the correct decision was made more often and the AFL got courageous about calling out mistakes instead of ignoring them these decisions won't matter as players will no what to expect and can adjust accordingly.

Ross Lyon footy.
Of course we would like to score more. But for context:
king has been back 3 weeks. Prior to that, our fwd line consisted of an 18yo rookie, 19 yo rookie and owens who has played about 20 games.
interestingly over the past month this is your scoring.
Cats scored 78 v tiges
77 vs freo
74 vs gws
97 vs dogs.

and you have hawkins and cameron

Youve kicked 20+ goals against wce and hawks (who admitttedly we s**t the bed against)

Ross Lyon footy.

I don't rate Enright no.
I was a supporter who called for change for years.
Knights, Scarlett, O'Bree, Enright. Just kept getting the same results.
The very moment they leave, immediate results. A drastic change in game style and fresh new faces to accommodate that game plan.

Also heard of players not seeing eye to eye with a coach and were left out of the seniors.
Too many monster ego's come with past champions of the game.
Not sure it's going to work at St Kilda. Ross already has a massive ego of his own.
Enright was the forwards coach at Geelong right? Maybe he just wasn't suited that position. Or maybe he's become a better coach since moving to a different environment and getting more experience.

But since he's taken up our defensive coach position, we've seen a lot of growth, both individually and as a team, with our defence. Last year, our defence was the strongest part of our game and this season we've take another step forward to be one of the best defensive teams in the comp. Ross has been very vocal about the assistant coaches taking the lead with developing the game plan so Enright deserves credit for our defensive system.

Then individually, Sinclair has gone from good to elite under Enright's watch. Same with Wilkie. Battle has credited Enright's coaching for him settling in defence and his improvement. Enright was the one who suggested NWM move to half back and we've seen him blossom this year with that move. I can't speak for Stocker's defensive work at Carlton but it sounds like he's having a career best year as well. With that many players taking their game to another level in Enright's line group, it should be easy to understand why Saints fans - or people who watch a lot of the Saints - would rate Enright's work as a coach.

Enright was the forwards coach at Geelong right? Maybe he just wasn't suited that position. Or maybe he's become a better coach since moving to a different environment and getting more experience.

But since he's taken up our defensive coach position, we've seen a lot of growth, both individually and as a team, with our defence. Last year, our defence was the strongest part of our game and this season we've take another step forward to be one of the best defensive teams in the comp. Ross has been very vocal about the assistant coaches taking the lead with developing the game plan so Enright deserves credit for our defensive system.

Then individually, Sinclair has gone from good to elite under Enright's watch. Same with Wilkie. Battle has credited Enright's coaching for him settling in defence and his improvement. Enright was the one who suggested NWM move to half back and we've seen him blossom this year with that move. I can't speak for Stocker's defensive work at Carlton but it sounds like he's having a career best year as well. With that many players taking their game to another level in Enright's line group, it should be easy to understand why Saints fans - or people who watch a lot of the Saints - would rate Enright's work as a coach.
Correct, Enright was Geelongs forward coach as we had Scarlett reigning down on a very rigid approach at the back. I don't think the role suited Enright (plus personnel...no Stengle and JC only for one year in which he wasn't fit) so it's easy to see why he's done well at the Saints.

Of course we would like to score more. But for context:
king has been back 3 weeks. Prior to that, our fwd line consisted of an 18yo rookie, 19 yo rookie and owens who has played about 20 games.
interestingly over the past month this is your scoring.
Cats scored 78 v tiges
77 vs freo
74 vs gws
97 vs dogs.

and you have hawkins and cameron

Youve kicked 20+ goals against wce and hawks (who admitttedly we s**t the bed against)

Again, not sure why you keep bringing Geelong into this conversation. They have always played a high scoring brand of footy.

This year is no different.
If only they had Marshall in ruck.

Again, not sure why you keep bringing Geelong into this conversation. They have always played a high scoring brand of footy.

This year is no different.
If only they had Marshall in ruck.
Because you are talking about how boring and low scoring the saints are and in simply pointing out that your team, as least in the past month arent any better. We try to move the ball quickly and im pretty sure statistically are up the top for transition from def to fwd but when you have the players i mentioned in the fwd 50 it doesnt result in scoring.
If only we had cameron/hawkins up fwd.
Its really not that hard to understand.

Because you are talking about how boring and low scoring the saints are and in simply pointing out that your team, as least in the past month arent any better. We try to move the ball quickly and im pretty sure statistically are up the top for transition from def to fwd but when you have the players i mentioned in the fwd 50 it doesnt result in scoring.

Put him on ignore like everyone else. He is only here to troll

We are not scoring heavily because we are missing Stanley, Guthrie, Duncan, Holmes & Dangerfield.
Even the likes of Stengle & Cameron are spending minutes in the middle.

St Kilda are missing Billings and you still can't crack 100 points against average teams.

Be interesting to see how you fair against Brisbane and Richmond. Those teams put up points.

We are not scoring heavily because we are missing Stanley, Guthrie, Duncan, Holmes & Dangerfield.

St Kilda are missing Billings and you still can't crack 100 points against average teams.

Be interesting to see how you fair against Brisbane and Richmond. Those teams put up points.
Stengle is the only 1 from that list who hits the scoreboard regularly - danger occasionally but you still have the other 2 fwds who are responsible for the bulk of your scoring..

I didnt suggest we are missing anybody of importance because we arent. If you read my post properly, you'd understand that king has been back 3 weeks. That means he missed the 1st third of the season entirley and the fwd line was made up of rookies and a 2nd year medium sized fwd/mid.
Its not the game style, its the lack of firepower.

StKilda had their best forward and most important player out for ten weeks. Think you’ll find they’ll score more when he gets into it.

St. K prime for top 4

Hope so, not convinced will need our youngins - Owens / NWM / Windhager / King etc to have some consistency! Would love Billings, Coffield and Clark to be available for selection but that has opened it up for others

Going to be a very interesting couple of weeks for Geelong - Port and Melbourne next 2 weeks. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you are number one in the league in defence you don’t have to kick 100 a week to win games. I know this might be difficult for you to understand but being able to prevent other teams from scoring is just as important as scoring yourself.

What has happened to jack Steele? Should have dominated in wet conditions but looks like a vfl player

The gap between the top 4 and rest of the comp is going to grow from now to years end

I’d say 5-14 are no mans land

15-18 rebuilding

Well not at our expense but it’s been a prett shitty 2 decades for thr Blues.

Saints fans are used to disappointment but I fear for the mental state of my Carlton supporting mates….
Never got the point of following a perpetually bad club.

I'm disappointed with St Kilda tonight. Started off strong but then couldn't contain the Tigers. I don't know what to make of them and where theyré going to finish. I think top 4 is unlikely but possibly just scrape in to make the 8 and fill the numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back