Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah more than likely but they haven’t been the total defensive Ross teams this year. They did last week of course when I watched
to be fair, pies were doing the exact same thing the Saints were doing the entire game, not much difference between the 2 styles, you guys had a bit more class with the ball and were able to capitalize, we stuffed too many chances.

for a club, most thought would be bottom 8, we ran you pretty hard most of the game, we won't be top 4 and that's fine.

but the Ross is too Defensive line is BS

You shouldn’t listen to Carlton supporters.
Pre season predictions

Here and here

AFL.com.au - 4th, 9th, 6th, 9th, 6th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th
Average- 6th

Fox Footy- Carlton predicted 6th (top 8s not given but 22 out of 28 "finals votes" behind Geelong, Bris, Melb, Sydney and Dogs)

Freo and Dogs were also predicted to make the top 8. Saints have beaten 3 of the pre season finalists. Plus Essendon who are undefeated against everyone else.

St Kilda's opponents are 17 wins, 10 losses and a draw against other teams- Ess 4-0, Coll 3-1, Carl 3-1-1, WB 3-2, Freo 2-3, GC 2-3

St Kilda's 5-1 and have 5 games left against the easybeats of the competition- NM, WC and the tankers. Plus one more against Gold Coast who we've beaten 8 times in a row. Plus one against GWS. Top 4 is starting to look more likely than not.

but the Ross is too Defensive line is BS
15 of the last 17 premiers have been top 6 in both defense and attack, eg points for and against (per Garry Lyon's "premiership window")

Saints are 1st on points against with daylight 2nd, but should be 9th on points for following Essendon vs Collingwood.

So scoring probably needs to increase to be a genuine premiership threat. But King will help with that.

Pre season predictions

Here and here

AFL.com.au - 4th, 9th, 6th, 9th, 6th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th
Average- 6th

Fox Footy- Carlton predicted 6th (top 8s not given but 22 out of 28 "finals votes" behind Geelong, Bris, Melb, Sydney and Dogs)

Freo and Dogs were also predicted to make the top 8. Saints have beaten 3 of the pre season finalists. Plus Essendon who are undefeated against everyone else.

St Kilda's opponents are 17 wins, 10 losses and a draw against other teams- Ess 4-0, Coll 3-1, Carl 3-1-1, WB 3-2, Freo 2-3, GC 2-3

St Kilda's 5-1 and have 5 games left against the easybeats of the competition- NM, WC and the tankers. Plus one more against Gold Coast who we've beaten 8 times in a row. Plus one against GWS. Top 4 is starting to look more likely than not.
As of last week Carlton were also $11 for the flag to our $15.

15 of the last 17 premiers have been top 6 in both defense and attack, eg points for and against (per Garry Lyon's "premiership window")

Saints are 1st on points against with daylight 2nd, but should be 9th on points for following Essendon vs Collingwood.

So scoring probably needs to increase to be a genuine premiership threat. But King will help with that.
a fair of that comes back to Cordy, Caminiti, Owens, Philapou. 2 rookies, a 7 gamer, and Cordy
we have one of the lowest conversion rates i50.
King will help immensely simply by being that dump kick option. I like King Caminiti and Membrey, Pou/Owens/Billings Butler and Higgins going fwds.

so TLDR
yep haven't been great, not hard to see improvement with personnel returning

Max won’t know himself with the ball moving in there as fast as it has been this year, giving teams far less time to flood back and triple/quadruple-team him.

He’ll be a massive upgrade on Cordy.

Also so looking forward to seeing how we go with the Max and Caminiti double-act.

Last edited:
The Saints are on the march.

Can't help sensing some déjà vu with the Saint's season thus far related to their 8-3 promising start last season, then....
As my 2nd team and for your sake lets hope Lyon and the boys can keep the foot on the pedal..?

Can't help sensing some déjà vu with the Saint's season thus far related to their 8-3 promising start last season, then....
As my 2nd team and for your sake lets hope Lyon and the boys can keep the foot on the pedal..?

I think our game plan under Ross Lyon is more sustainable than Ratten's game plan.

I wasn't even sure what Ratten's game plan was most of the time as our performances varied so much between games and even within games.

Quite often our wins under Ratten was down to some individual brilliance rather than a team effort so if those individuals didn't fire then we wouldn't win whereas now we have a more even spread of contributors across the board rather than relying on a few star players and we are much more consistent.

I think our game plan under Ross Lyon is more sustainable than Ratten's game plan.

I wasn't even sure what Ratten's game plan was most of the time as our performances varied so much between games and even within games.

Quite often our wins under Ratten was down to some individual brilliance rather than a team effort so if those individuals didn't fire then we wouldn't win whereas now we have a more even spread of contributors across the board rather than relying on a few star players and we are much more consistent.
honestly if people keep saying this why reply its been answered 25 times already

(Log in to remove this ad.)

honestly if people keep saying this why reply its been answered 25 times already

I think it's more wishful thinking from people that are hoping we will fall away like we did last year but I just don't see that happening this year

Apart from the fact we have a more sustainable and consistent game plan under Ross we will also be getting most of our best players back soon.

15 of the last 20 teams who were top 2 after 6 rounds made a prelim. The odds are in St Kilda's favour.

The exceptions:
  • Essendon 2013- DNQ due to supplement penalty (after going 14-8 and finishing inside top 8)
  • North Melbourne 2016- Won their first 9 before crashing and burning hard to a 12-10 record and scraping into final on percentage, then lost elim final by 62
  • Freo 2019- started 4-2 then finished 9-13.
  • Freo 2022- Lost semi final.
  • Melbourne 2022 started 10-0. Lost semi final.
The other 15 from 2013-2022 made a prelim at least.

Max won’t know himself with the ball moving in there as fast as it has been this year, giving teams far less time to flood back and triple/quadruple-team him.

He’ll be a massive upgrade on Cordy.

Also so looking forward to seeing how we go with the Max and Caminiti double-act.
Is Max a reliable kick in front of goals now though?

Without a doubt they are.
And at the MCG, very hard to beat on grand final day.
But they've lost more grand finals than nearly everyone.
What's one more?

Just looks like they are seasoned enough having experienced recent finals and complimented their list with players who can take them a step further.
I know Cox or McStay are average players but they give the other forwards so much more room to operate.

Just looks like they are seasoned enough having experienced recent finals and complimented their list with players who can take them a step further.
I know Cox or McStay are average players but they give the other forwards so much more room to operate.
Of course. They were a bee's dick away last year from playing Geelong in the GF, and may have even won.
They deserve to be there this year as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back