St Kilda parts ways with coach Alan Richardson: report

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
A dignified Alan Richardson has revealed he knew the writing was on the wall, after he had a frank conversation with chief executive Matt Finnis after the club’s Round 16 loss to North Melbourne.

St Kilda parted ways with Alan Richardson on Tuesday, with Brett Ratten to take over as interim boss.

Richardson was set to be out of contract at the end of the season, with the club very unlikely to win a final and reach a trigger clause in his deal for another year. He made the call to leave immediately.

Richardson and Finnis had some “honest conversations” after the loss to North before having another chat on Monday, where it was decided the time was right for Richardson to step aside immediately in the best interests of the club.

“I caught up with Matt after the Kangaroos game down in Tassie,” Richardson said.

“It’s then there was some real frankness of the likelihood of going ahead.

“The conversations with Matt have been really honest. Started from the start of the year on the back of the year before, that we needed to show significant improvement.”

St Kilda president Andrew Basset said: “After six years under Alan’s leadership, the team performance and the position in which we find ourselves isn’t where it needs to be.”

Richardson leaves the club after 126 games in charge, the second-most in St Kilda history.

He took the senior coaching job at the end of 2013 but failed to lead the club to a finals campaign.

“I’m definitely proud of the fact myself and the coaching group have given it our all,” Richardson said.

“It was a tough year last year, and I’m really proud of how the group has responded in challenging circumstances.

“It’s time to get some clear air for the group to end the year strongly. The club needs some time to now look for a new coach. They’re going to be heavily involved in trying to trade.”

Richardson had a record of 43 wins, 81 losses and two draws as coach, including one loss as caretaker coach at Port Adelaide in 2013.

Only three coaches had a worse winning percentage (34.65) than Richardson while coaching as many games as he has - Robert Shaw (Fitzroy and Adelaide, 1991-96), Bob McCaskill (North Melbourne and Hawthorn, 1941-51) and Bill Stephen (Fitzroy and Essendon, 1955-80).

“We’ve had a couple (of efforts) in the last month we’re not proud of. And it’s been quarters. This group, they’re made of the right stuff. Against the Cats our young blokes really came to the fore,” he said.

Richardson is the third coach to leave his club in 2019, with North Melbourne also parting ways with Brad Scott after Round 10, while Carlton sacked Brendon Bolton after Round 11.

The Saints had a very disappointing 2018 season, winning just four games after managing 11 and 12 victories in the two years prior.

They started well in 2019, winning four of their first five games, but have won just two of 11 since then.

St Kilda sits 15th on the ladder with a 6-10 record heading into Round 18.

“Last year wasn’t good, and the way I performed last year wasn’t anywhere near as consistent as we needed to be,” Richardson said.

Richardson’s task this year was made more difficult by long-term injuries to key players including Jake Carlisle, Jarryn Geary, Paddy McCartin, Dan Hannebery and Dylan Roberton, and multiple best-and-fairest winner Jack Steven’s battle with mental health issues.

Richardson said he was proud at the way he and the club had dealt with setbacks.

“But there is certainly a disappointment in the fact that you can’t finish things off,” he told reporters.

“You’re here to win a flag, you’re here first of all to give yourself the opportunity and we haven’t done that.

“ ... there’s just a reality to it that you come into this business knowing that if you don’t win often enough then things will change and the senior coach is responsible for that.”

The club confirmed Richardson’s departure, and Ratten’s appointment as caretaker, in a statement just after 11am.

“On behalf of everyone at the football club, from the board to the players, staff and supporters, I want to thank Alan for his commitment and contribution,” Saints president Andrew Bassat said.

“I also want to extend our gratitude to Alan’s wife Jo, and boys Lachey and Ben, who have allowed the St Kilda family to share their husband and dad during this time.

“Alan brought great integrity, knowledge and experience to our football program, and under his leadership, the foundation for future success has been laid.

“He inherited his role at a difficult point in the club’s history, developed the young players now beginning to make their mark, took the club to the cusp of two finals appearances, and in recent times, showed great resilience in the face of adversity.

“Alan’s selflessness and focus on what is right for the playing group and club has always been immense, but it’s perhaps been best demonstrated in the past two days through his decision to step aside and allow the club the time and space to find the next coach of the St Kilda Football Club.

“There is no escaping the significant setbacks we have faced this year in regards to player availability, and these, as you would expect, have been taken into account in our decision.

“Ultimately, after six years under Alan’s leadership, the team performance and the position in which we find ourselves isn’t where it needs to be.

“This responsibility doesn’t just rest with the senior coach, and indeed we feel that the performance of Alan and the rest of the coaching group in adverse circumstances this year is to be commended.

“However, after significant consideration, we believe the time is right to introduce a new voice to oversee the next stage in our development and drive us forward.”

Bassat also said to “completely disregard” claims the club has a “pre-determined position” on the next coach.

“I also want to address the rigorous process we will now begin to find the next coach of the St Kilda Football Club,” he said.

“Speculation the club has a pre-determined position on potential candidates should be completely disregarded.

“I cannot overstate the value everyone at the football club places in strong governance, and any suggestion otherwise is simply unfounded.

“We will first put together a selection committee, which I will chair, to evaluate all possible options for the role.

“As our members would expect, we will be incredibly thorough and open-minded as we search for the right senior coach to lead us to a second premiership.”

Last edited:

Poor Saints, you think it can't get worse, then it does.

Anyway, Jamie Macmillan, experienced defender, great onfield leader, I mean, I'm happy to just swap second rounders and drop him off at your joint?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the huff and puff was about Ratten after we won 5 of our first 6 games, but what has he done since? Seb Ross is kicking lollipops to opposition defenders 20 times a game, Jack Newnes is getting by being a 1 way runner averaging negative tackles a game, Jade Gresham's decision making has gone backwards, the midfield as a whole has been complete dog s**t.

Move him on with Richo as well.

Any suggestions for who you would like as coach?

Not really much out there
Ratten is the obvious experienced coach, had a year to see the list, knows the players and system.
or go untied
a few rated assistants around Caracella, Teague.

just no to Scott

Ratten is the obvious experienced coach, had a year to see the list, knows the players and system.
or go untied

just no to Scott
Yeah Scott is who i hope Carlton go with :)

Teague or Caracella would be good. Both put in the time. Ratten might not even want it yet

or go untied

just no to Scott
Roll the dice and go with someone fresh. Happy to give Caracella a go.

Really stiff, I'm not sure anyone else would have done better.
This sounds like what people thought of Carlton after Bolton got sacked. Yet look at them now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back