St Kilda parts ways with coach Alan Richardson: report

Remove this Banner Ad

You have fielded a young team for 6 years....

Not really.

2019 24.35 (ranked 17th/18) ladder 15th* +2
2018 24.42 (14th/18) 16th -2
2017 25.09 (9th/18) 11th -2
2016 25.22 (7th/18) 9th -2
2015 24.71 (12th/18) 14th -2
2014 25.11 (8th/18) 18th -10
----------------------------------
2013 25.58 (4th/18) 16th -12
2012 26.35 (1st/18) 9th -8

2012-13 is a terrible base to be starting from. The Saints are in a better position than when Richardson took over.

Last edited:
That guy be like...

giphy.gif

Everyone bags the Dan Hannebury decision.

A lot had better hope he never recovers, because the amount of egg that will have to be wiped off faces if he recovers, and puts in three good years would be enough to start an omellette factory.

Hope Harvey applies.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Interesting fact I heard about Robert Harvey, and Allan Richardson.

Did you know that Robert Harvey was actually a "caretaker" coach for St. Kilda without coaching a game?

It happened after the Saints sacked Scott Watters, and before they appointed Richardson.

Watter's sacking happened around the week of the National Draft, so Harvey was appointed "caretaker" to play a part in the draft, and help direct who the club should pick up.

The story goes that he thought that this would give him a good chance of taking over as senior coach, and when Richardson got appointed instead, Harvey snatched it and went to Collingwood to be an assistant coach there.

I honestly don’t know what the knock on Scott is. Clearly he could coach, and it’s not like he had Hawthorns list, or Sydney’s list.

But North's list was underrated.

People just think North didn't have a good list because the media, still upset that North didn't go to the GC, and give them something to write about for months afterwards, always downplayed their list.

Scott was negative, and treated the games record-holder appallingly, but sacking him while he was still playing good football. He wasn't a "player's" coach.

From being a casual observer without the supporter glasses on, i'd say Billings, Greshem, Marshall, Ross and Steele would be walk up starts to ANY club in the AFL. Not sure where it goes after that though. Bruce and Membery aren't a bad forward duo on their day either.

Gresham is over rated by the general populace, Carlisle under rated, swap them.

Roberton in over Ross.

Steven still theoretically our best player.

Pick 5 from Billings, Marshall, Steven, Roberton, Carlisle & Steele

Last edited:
I’ll be honest I am not sure why people are so for Ratten and not Scott. Scott took a subpar team to two prelim finals; in terms of final appearances and general consistency Scott destroys him.

Not that I am saying Ratten would be bad just not sure why a lot seem to be for him and against Scott.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Scott coached long enough for the latter to occur, Ratten didn't.

It was perplexing why the Saints, in the pre-season after Roo and Montagna retired, stated that it was top 4 or failure for that season. Roo and Montagna during the season they retired were still 2 of the best players at the Saints. It basically set Richardson up for failure that season and has really been something of a legacy statement for his entire tenure since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with all of this. They suffer from having too many plodders and not enough class. Those mentioned are good players with only Billings being a potential A- grader and the rest whilst walk up starts wouldnt make the top 5 of most clubs (other than GC)

Disagree on Marshall I think he's the best young ruck in the game. Take your point on the others

Disagree on Marshall I think he's the best young ruck in the game. Take your point on the others
Hes not an A grader yet but hes a very good young player. Why are the saints targeting Goldstein and Draper? Think Marshall doing really well leading the ruck

Never nice for someone to lose their job but I think the time was right. To be honest I thought he got 12 months than most would of.
There's an argument that he could have lost his job at the end of last year, but given that the preceding 2 years we had shown somewhat significant improvement, the club were willing to give him another year and get better support in the form of assistant coaches which I believe was the right thing to do. Despite the rubbish season we still managed to beat Melbourne, draw with GWS, take it to Richmond for 3 quarters at the 'G, finish within 12 points of WCE in Perth among other results. It hasn't worked, so we move on.

The current team have shown before as well on a number of occasions that they can take it up to the best sides and match them for large parts, it's usually one quarter in a game where it all falls apart though. And when they're off, they absolutely stink.

The clause inserted in his extension back in 2017 was absolutely setting him up to fail with Riewoldt and Montagna retiring. When you take into account that since 2017 when we won 11 games we've lost Riewoldt, Montagna, Roberton and Koby Stevens all to retirement (Roberton pending) plus Jack Steven who's by so far our best player when firing that it's not funny for pretty much the whole season, plus injuries to other key players like Carlisle, Bruce last year, Geary, Hannebery most recently, and others I can't remember off the top of my head you could say Richo has never been given the best run at it.

The biggest problems lie deeper than the coach though. I definitely don't like the Brad Scott talk, thinking about the potential dodgy that grub Simon Lethlean might pull gives me the heebie jeebies.

Not really.

2019 24.35 (ranked 17th/18) ladder 15th* +2
2018 24.42 (14th/18) 16th -2
2017 25.09 (9th/18) 11th -2
2016 25.22 (7th/18) 9th -2
2015 24.71 (12th/18) 14th -2
2014 25.11 (8th/18) 18th -10
----------------------------------
2013 25.58 (4th/18) 16th -12
2012 26.35 (1st/18) 9th -8

2012-13 is a terrible base to be starting from. The Saints are in a better position than when Richardson took over.
In summary:

• Started old and ordinary
  • Younger and terrible
  • Back to older and ordinary
  • Back to younger and terrible

So really absolutely no clue what they were doing. All over the shop on list management.

Richo's biggest failing is he is a very poor judge of footballing talent.

He thought Mav Weller an Jack Newnes were gun players. He thought Pay McCartin was a gun player.

Hes not an A grader yet but hes a very good young player. Why are the saints targeting Goldstein and Draper? Think Marshall doing really well leading the ruck

Marshall is a gun young Ruckman.

But the wise heads at St Kila want to turn him in to a Key Fwd instead.... even though they recruited Max King...

Beggars belief.

Saints hierarchy seem to have no clue what they are doing.

• They went young for 2014 and finished last.
  • They then panicked and went older for a few years. This didn't really work.
  • Then they copied the Pies and Tigers sticking by their coach and re-signed Richo.
  • Then they went young again. Back to terrible.
  • Then they copied North and Carlton by going for a care-taker in the hope of a few late wins.

Just lurching from one copy-cat trend to the next.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back