Discussion St Kilda Pre-Season take 2

We picked a couple of good ones in Lyons time, just forgot to hold on to them with Cripps, Mc Evoy and Lynch. 2010 to 2016 were pretty dire years. Since then we look like we are improving but only time will tell. Plenty before have looked promising and failed to deliver.

We had a few , but not enough.
When our stars and recycled players were retiring, we had no-one coming through.
To me, if you are drafting around 2 decent players a year, ( ie good enough to play AFL, not necessarily big stars ) after a decade you will have a decent spine of 20 players , and you will have kids coming through. The there are the extra's , rookie picks that come good etc.
from 2004 to recently, we were lucky to draft 1 a year.

So we turned on the tap again, but the water won't be flowing out the end of the pipe for a long time.

We had a few , but not enough.
When our stars and recycled players were retiring, we had no-one coming through.
To me, if you are drafting around 2 decent players a year, ( ie good enough to play AFL, not necessarily big stars ) after a decade you will have a decent spine of 20 players , and you will have kids coming through. The there are the extra's , rookie picks that come good etc.
from 2004 to recently, we were lucky to draft 1 a year.

So we turned on the tap again, but the water won't be flowing out the end of the pipe for a long time.

We have definitely been poor overall but from 2011 we only have Geary, Stuv, Cripps, Lynch, Mc Evoy and Stanley left playing AFL. The best 4 aren't at the club any more and the only ones that would be borderline in our side would be our captain and Stanley. After that we took Ross, Newnes (Tom Lynch) and Webster. That was probably our best draft in a decade as far as quality went in one draft. Then we really dropped away for a few years. 2013 was a real mixed bag. Billings was good but compared to those around him a disappointment and swapping Mc Evoy for Dunstan, Acres and Savage probably now looks like a major * up. Not one ended up close to Big Mac. Hopefully we have started to get it more right than wrong and so far so good.

We have definitely been poor overall but from 2011 we only have Geary, Stuv, Cripps, Lynch, Mc Evoy and Stanley left playing AFL. The best 4 aren't at the club any more and the only ones that would be borderline in our side would be our captain and Stanley. After that we took Ross, Newnes (Tom Lynch) and Webster. That was probably our best draft in a decade as far as quality went in one draft. Then we really dropped away for a few years. 2013 was a real mixed bag. Billings was good but compared to those around him a disappointment and swapping Mc Evoy for Dunstan, Acres and Savage probably now looks like a major fu** up. Not one ended up close to Big Mac. Hopefully we have started to get it more right than wrong and so far so good.

We also got Longer in using a fairly early pick to replace the McEvoy we traded out.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
We have definitely been poor overall but from 2011 we only have Geary, Stuv, Cripps, Lynch, Mc Evoy and Stanley left playing AFL. The best 4 aren't at the club any more and the only ones that would be borderline in our side would be our captain and Stanley. After that we took Ross, Newnes (Tom Lynch) and Webster. That was probably our best draft in a decade as far as quality went in one draft. Then we really dropped away for a few years. 2013 was a real mixed bag. Billings was good but compared to those around him a disappointment and swapping Mc Evoy for Dunstan, Acres and Savage probably now looks like a major fu** up. Not one ended up close to Big Mac. Hopefully we have started to get it more right than wrong and so far so good.
Thing is that those that are still around are very good footballers and would all walk into our 22 at there best. Had they all stayed at stkilda would we be saying we should of gone to the draft more and backed ourselves in?

Catch 22

If they don’t tell you to piss off when you get there.

Heard mixed things about fans attending training at the moment
Thanks for letting us know , it would be a bummer to travel down only to be turned away

Surely someone here has a drone they can send.

this is a great suggestion. the only way they can stop that is if they hit it out of the air with a footy. which means:
1) none of them can hit a ******* target and we get training footage,
2) their footskills are improving and they can hit a target, which means no training footage and a lost drone.

i'm gonna back in option 1.

Firstly I know this does not necessarily relate to onfield performance however I was delighted to hear from talking to another clubs assistant coach that in chatting to the medics taking COVID test for Mel based clubs that when he asked for feedback on how respectful his list were to everyone he was told they were 2nd to the saints.
For someone with a young family who picked the saints after immigrating in 2011 this snippet reinforced my view of the progress being made within the club.

Firstly I know this does not necessarily relate to onfield performance however I was delighted to hear from talking to another clubs assistant coach that in chatting to the medics taking COVID test for Mel based clubs that when he asked for feedback on how respectful his list were to everyone he was told they were 2nd to the saints.
For someone with a young family who picked the saints after immigrating in 2011 this snippet reinforced my view of the progress being made within the club.

Saints - the Politeness Premiers 🤣...

Oh well, at this stage we’ll take every win we can get 🏆🥇

Saints - the Politeness Premiers 🤣...

Oh well, at this stage we’ll take every win we can get 🏆🥇

If you aren't going to be good at footy at least we aren't dickheads as well.

Have there been any reports on the scratch match or whatever for the boys not playing seniors this weekend?
Luke Beveridge said the saints weren't keen on a scratch match with the dogs.

I did see after the game a few of the boys that didn't play were in their playing kits - perhaps to do some running out on the ground after the game

Back