Discussion St Kilda Pre-Season take 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news. What better way to bounce back from a pathetic loss to Norf than to beat a top tier team?
I hope we get Richmond at the MCG. Or West Coast.
As long as its West coast over there , shouldnt be a problem :rolleyes:

You keep going on with him but if he was the main problem then why have we been so poor at recruiting for nearly 20 years. And are you sure he was head recruiter for 8 years. And if as you say it was obvious to see them that tells me as I said that was a money issue. No recruiter relies on only themselves these days. You are only as good as the other 15 or so around the country.

He still gets a list of players to work off. Seriously, the law of averages says that in a 10 year period of drafting, you'd land at least one superstar. Old Johnny Bevo could find talent without money. The Dogs have hardly got a heap of money either but keep finding guns. Jamie Cripps, Big Ben and Tom Lynch are probably all better than most of what we have drafted since them. I don't know if it was a club directive to find introverts, a meat and potatoes coach who wanted to be the meat so recruited potatoes or what. All I know is that on his watch he failed.

Have a look at our 2017 list, literally three seasons ago. Only Gresham, Long, Billings, Ross, Steele, Marshall and Membrey are likely to be in our side in another couple of years. Battle if he decides to stay. The rest are too old (Geary, Brown and Roberton) or still not 100% guaranteed to hold their spot long term, (Savage, Dunstan, Lonie, Webster, Phillips, Mc Kenzie, Sinclair and Joyce).

He still gets a list of players to work off. Seriously, the law of averages says that in a 10 year period of drafting, you'd land at least one superstar. Old Johnny Bevo could find talent without money. The Dogs have hardly got a heap of money either but keep finding guns. Jamie Cripps, Big Ben and Tom Lynch are probably all better than most of what we have drafted since them. I don't know if it was a club directive to find introverts, a meat and potatoes coach who wanted to be the meat so recruited potatoes or what. All I know is that on his watch he failed.

Have a look at our 2017 list, literally three seasons ago. Only Gresham, Long, Billings, Ross, Steele, Marshall and Membrey are likely to be in our side in another couple of years. Battle if he decides to stay. The rest are too old (Geary, Brown and Roberton) or still not 100% guaranteed to hold their spot long term, (Savage, Dunstan, Lonie, Webster, Phillips, Mc Kenzie, Sinclair and Joyce).

He was a pigeon

Richo, Elshaug & Sexton The 3 stooges

Bevo was great when it wasnā€™t professional. Since it became professional we have struggled. 2 of the years trout had were nearly impossible to get good players. Even you would admit that but we got Ross who has had a very career. If the list is as bad as you make it out why did you think last year we may have made finals. That doesnā€™t make sense. Iā€™m not saying trout was a good recruiter either. Iā€™m saying the whole department has been poor for many years because we obviously have had the wrong people or not enough money to get the right people. Like I said there is probably 15 people around the country looking for talent. Has the current recruiters bagged a surprising star yet? Doesnā€™t look like it.

Bevo was great when it wasnā€™t professional. Since it became professional we have struggled. 2 of the years trout had were nearly impossible to get good players. Even you would admit that but we got Ross who has had a very career. If the list is as bad as you make it out why did you think last year we may have made finals. That doesnā€™t make sense. Iā€™m not saying trout was a good recruiter either. Iā€™m saying the whole department has been poor for many years because we obviously have had the wrong people or not enough money to get the right people. Like I said there is probably 15 people around the country looking for talent. Has the current recruiters bagged a surprising star yet? Doesnā€™t look like it.
Umm, Marshall?

I never said we would make finals. I said everything would have to go right for us to make finals. We have got more promising players since he left. I'm not 100% sure of the time line but I think he moved into a list management role during 2016 and moved out at the end 2018. I Think we have been picking better since he was moved away from recruiting.

2010 Drafted: Jamie Cripps. -- Reasonable draft, poor profiling. Should have drafted : Scott Lycett, or Jeremy Howe, or Luke Parker
Draft smokey: Jarryd Lyons ( from.....Sandringham ).

2011 Drafted : Ross ( with Saad and Milera ). Probably the best result. Draft Smokey :Lachie Neale.

2012 Traded for Hickey then drafted Wright/White. Should have got Grundy/James Stewart. Draft Smokey: Probably Tim Membrey

2013 Drafted Billings , should have drafted...Bon...CRIPPS . Draft smokey Ben Brown ( and i called it for those with the Memory ).

2014 Drafted McCartin , should have drafted DeGoey. Draft smokey : Caleb Daniel

2015: Traded for Carlisle and got Gresham. We probably wouldn't have done better with Pick 5. Draft smokey. Probably Tom Phillips.

2016: Tim English probably the best we could have hoped for if we didn't do a trade for the Hawks 2017 first. Draft Smokey : Josh Battle.

2017: Coffield and Clark. Should have drafted Tim Kelly ( but no-one else did either ). Draft Smokey James Worpel.

So there WERE stars available, but we weren't dealt a great hand either, so its hard to say "gross incompetence "
It would have been good to pick up some of those smokey's. Players like Worpel, Daniel would have had a place. Ed Phillips may still end up like his brother.

Or was he a list manager by then? Anyway, he's off the rookie list. It's hardly ace recruiting when you arse one off there. Just like finding $50 down the back of the couch isn't good budgeting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™ll just admit to defeat because Iā€™m not going to win the argument, Iā€™ll agree to disagree on this one.

Doesnā€™t matter regardless because we for sure ainā€™t winning it if we canā€™t beat LOL**Norf

Of course itā€™s not if you donā€™t rate the guy doing it.

Can only compare to 17 other clubs recruiting in the same period and we are with the worst sides in the AFL.

For what its worth, the boys and list is in good shape apparantly. I think we will go pretty good when this basket case of a season gets going again.

Can only compare to 17 other clubs recruiting in the same period and we are with the worst sides in the AFL.

First round picks.
2010 : Hawks drafted well , but Smith was not available to Cats or Saints. Cripps was a valid pick.
Hawks. End of first round for David Hale. ( Could have drafted Scott Lycett ). Issac Smith - great pick , not available to the Saints.
Cats : Smedts
Saints: Cripps.

2011: Saints drafted well, Hawks traded their first as usual.
Hawks traded for Gunston ( smart move )
Cats traded for 2 later picks -Hamling and Kersten
Saints: Ross

2012: Crap draft
Hawks traded for Brian Lake. Good move for them , not for us.
Cats Thurlow.
Saints : traded for Tom bloody Lee.and Tom Hickey. Lee played 17 games , Goddard went on to play around 130 for the Bombers. All draft picks were crap.

2013: Another crap draft so Dunstan not a bad choice, Crouch would have been better.
Hawks traded for McEvoy
Cats : Darcy Lang
Saints : Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres.

2014: Wow the Cats blitzed it.
Hawks traded for O'Rourke
Cats : Rhys Stanley
Saints : Paddy, Goddard, McKenzie.

2015: Rare first round pick by the Hawks, underwhelming.
Hawks , Ryan Burton
Cats - Traded for Dangerfield
Saints - Traded for Carlisle and got Gresham.

2016:
Hawks : Traded two first rounders for O'Meara and Mitchell.
Cats : Traded for Henderson
Saints : Traded to the Hawks.

2017:
Hawks : Traded to saints for 2016
Cats : Downgraded to get Ablett back, Fogarty
Saints : Clark, Coffield

2018:
Hawks : Traded for Wingard
Cats : Jordan Clark
Sainits : King

Its hard to say that either of those teams are better than the Saints at spotting talent in the draft.
Hawks seem to have players falling over to come and play for them, and their trades have been better choices than gambling in the first round of the draft.
( notwithstanding O'Rourk ).

Cats had Dangerfield drop in their lap, but the rest of it is lack lustre as far as i'm concerned.

First round picks.
2010 : Hawks drafted well , but Smith was not available to Cats or Saints. Cripps was a valid pick.
Hawks. End of first round for David Hale. ( Could have drafted Scott Lycett ). Issac Smith - great pick , not available to the Saints.
Cats : Smedts
Saints: Cripps.

2011: Saints drafted well, Hawks traded their first as usual.
Hawks traded for Gunston ( smart move )
Cats traded for 2 later picks -Hamling and Kersten
Saints: Ross

2012: Crap draft
Hawks traded for Brian Lake. Good move for them , not for us.
Cats Thurlow.
Saints : traded for Tom bloody Lee.and Tom Hickey. Lee played 17 games , Goddard went on to play around 130 for the Bombers. All draft picks were crap.

2013: Another crap draft so Dunstan not a bad choice, Crouch would have been better.
Hawks traded for McEvoy
Cats : Darcy Lang
Saints : Luke Dunstan and Blake Acres.

2014: Wow the Cats blitzed it.
Hawks traded for O'Rourke
Cats : Rhys Stanley
Saints : Paddy, Goddard, McKenzie.

2015: Rare first round pick by the Hawks, underwhelming.
Hawks , Ryan Burton
Cats - Traded for Dangerfield
Saints - Traded for Carlisle and got Gresham.

2016:
Hawks : Traded two first rounders for O'Meara and Mitchell.
Cats : Traded for Henderson
Saints : Traded to the Hawks.

2017:
Hawks : Traded to saints for 2016
Cats : Downgraded to get Ablett back, Fogarty
Saints : Clark, Coffield

2018:
Hawks : Traded for Wingard
Cats : Jordan Clark
Sainits : King

Its hard to say that either of those teams are better than the Saints at spotting talent in the draft.
Hawks seem to have players falling over to come and play for them, and their trades have been better choices than gambling in the first round of the draft.
( notwithstanding O'Rourk ).

Cats had Dangerfield drop in their lap, but the rest of it is lack lustre as far as i'm concerned.

The Clark Coffield picks are crucial for us after trading pick to the Hawks, both did well out of it but think we have longer term benefit (well hope)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back